Diarrhea? Suddenly sick bunny. (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I gave him more SQ fluids since he didn't get his full dose this AM. Now he's eating Kale pretty well.. but his right back leg is sticking out and when he tries to move it back into position he's stepping on his front right leg that's awkwardly held behind him.
I'm really worried about E. Cuniculi. I'm positive he's been exposed, and it could be the reason for his head tilt from before (they treated for inner ear infection and E.C., but the rescue sees so many EC rabbits, he HAS to have been exposed. He was born there and lived there for 2 years). I know EC can show (like coccidia) at times of stress, compromised immune system, ect.. so I'm wondering if this is what it is..
I'm going to try to go into work late or take it off and hopefully get an appointment with his regular vet tomorrow morning..

tonyshuman wrote:
Oh that is strange. Do you think he's perhaps scanning (looking side to side across the room with jerking movements, a sign of neurological issues)?

He doesn't seem to be looking at anything.. the video shows much better than I could possibly explain.. it's finally up now. It almost seems involuntary..
And when he hops it seems that one of his back legs doesn't really move at all, just sticks where it is and he attempts to maneuver himself without using it.. yet his other legs are all weak and not moving properly, either...

It looks like something Muffin has done--like hiccups? I've heard of bunnies having hiccups before. I'm not sure it's a bad sign, as long as he's breathing ok. It's possible that it's like a gasp for extra breath. If you give him pillows, does he try to prop himself up on them, to get his airways open more? Any difficulty to breathe would be an emergency, but it looks a lot like when Muffin has hiccups.

EC is one of those things that the treatment that's prescribed doesn't really work well. Panacur is what's given, and it may make the rabbit improve because they may have some internal parasites that the panacur can treat, but the EC doesn't go away. There are stronger antiparasitics, like Marqis, that are much better at treating EC. I don't know. It sounds like you have one sick little bunny. :( I hope he gets better and the vet will have some answers for you.

Going to try to get in to see his regular vet tomorrow AM.. hoping I don't end up back at Angell.. I'll look into some other emergency hospitals in case...

I don't see that he's gasping (with an open mouth), so I'm not sure he's trying to get more air.. but it's hard to tell. He doesn't seem to want to prop himself up, but he also has the head tilt and the weakness in his legs.. so I'm not sure he could if he wanted to.

Please don't get mad at me for saying this :(
But maybe it is time for him to "go".
He sounds like he is suffering, although you sound like you are giving him the best care possible
It's just he sounds very very sick. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep fighting for him, but the question is does he want to keep fighting :(
I have never had to deal with something like this, I can't imagine how you must feel. :tears2: :bigtears:

Whatever happens though, you know in your heart you are trying your best & if he pulls through, god bless him & you!

I will be thinking about you!
:pray:

He's definitely still TRYING. I'm sure he feels terrible and is miserable right now, but he is eating. He is responsive to us and still seems to enjoy being petted.

The fact is, he's 2.5 years old and I don't know what's wrong with him. I think it's unfair to give up on him, especially if he's still putting in some effort. Of course if we find something that can't be cured and he stands no chance of having a happy life, I wouldn't continue to do this. But right now I think he still has a chance. He's young and has been otherwise healthy for most of his life. I know that it's very bad and there's probably a good chance we'll lose him, but I can't euthanize him unless I'm SURE he's not going to recover and that's our only option.

Thanks for the good thoughts, and I don't take it offensively, I know it's a tough call with euthanasia and it's hard to judge whether you're there to see the animal or not. I don't think it would be wrong to consider that at this point, but I couldn't live with myself knowing I gave up on him when he still had a chance.

Alertness, Affection, and Appetite. I think he's still got these things. That's the kind of thing that only a person who sees the bunny can know. It's good that you asked, though, and I'm glad it didn't make anybody upset.

Being hospitalized at his regular vet. Temp of 104.3..
I brought him around 9 this am and haven't heard anything since.. but I really love this vet and I know that if he has a chance, she can save him..
Hoping for the best but I know it's not looking good..

The vet called and Wally died there. They did get his temp down to 103 something, but it was just too late. They're doing a necropsy... I guess all I can hope for now is that it's not something contagious.

Oh no, so sorry.

I hope the necropsy isn't inconclusive, but often they are. There are so many things that can affect bunnies.

One that comes to mind is raccoon roundworm which can have symptoms that mimic EC. Its a parasite that I think invades the brain and is almost impossible to detect (or treat) before the damage is done and the bunny is gone.

The diarrhea can happen as a result of illness, but it's also possible some kind of genetic defect was involved, which can stress the system, lower his immunity and cause the other problems.

So many things...

I hope you get some answers. You tried so hard with Wally. He sure was a lucky bunny to have you in his corner.

RIP little guy. :sad:

sas :tears2:

I never really knew about the raccoon roundworm.. or that skunks carry a similar one that can infect rabbits, too. We definitely have both right in our yard, and we do let our rabbits run around in a partially fenced section on occasion. I don't necessarily think that's what it is, because I know he's had EC exposure. But now I'm more worried about letting them outside, having seen raccoons out there several times and skunks on a regular basis (one even lives under my staircase). The vet did think that the overgrowth of the teeth on one side could have impacted his appetite and set the whole thing into motion, with any underlying disease showing itself when he's compromised.
We'll see what the necropsy says if they find anything..

Latest posts

Back