Diarrhea in bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbywachter

Reaction score
Please help!! I've brought Peter to the pet store twice now and I'm gonna bring him back a third time to treat him for diarrhea. He has plenty of Timothy hay to eat, pellets, attention and love. He seems to be perfectly fine at the pet store but when I bring him home he just starts having diarrhea. At first I thought it was the treats so u stopped with the treats. But there are dried fruits and veges mixed with the pellets. Like dried carrots, bananas, pumpkin seeds, andse weird colored shaped but he doesn't like those. I also noticed that he was nibbling on his blue litter stuff that looks like cotton (carefresh custom, guinea pig & rabbit) but idk if that caused it. But whenever I bring him to the pet store to get treated he's always fine. I had got him back yesterday. I honestly don't know what's wrong with him? They have wood chips where they sell the bunnys, but I put in the carefresh stuff in his cage. Could he be allergic to that? Normally it took about two days when he's gotten diarrhea. But when I went to get Peter she had him with all the other bunnys to "see if it was just his nerves" but my bun is very active and loves to play and be pet. Idk if he's allergic to something in my house like my two dogs or my cat. I might send him back to the store and let them keep him because I don't want my bun to die here because already one has and idk if I could bare it and I don't want to see him die or i cause his death. Can anyone help??

If he has profuse watery diarrhea, you need to take him to a rabbit vet immediately! If it is mushy poop, is it just his cecotropes that are mushy or is his fecal poop(the normal round poop balls) mushy too? If you aren't sure if it is diarrhea or just mushy poop, can you post a picture of it?
http://imgur.com/a/5N4lD

Does he for certain eat his hay? Do you feed any other treats or veggies? When you take him to the pet store, do they feed him a different type of food than you feed at home?

How old is your new bun? How long have you had him and did the poop problems start soon after you brought him home? If he is getting a different food than he got at the petstore, did you gradually change him over to the new food over a 2 week period?

Last edited:
I agree with JBun- be sure to get him to a rabbit savvy vet right away if he is having liquid diarrhea. Also, if that is the case, it would be a good idea to get a fecal sample from him and take that along to the vet. They likely will want to test it for intestinal parasites which can be a cause of diarrhea. Also, what does the pet store do to treat him?

I don't think it is likely that he would be allergic to the Carefresh bedding. In fact, I would much more think he would have been allergic to the pet store's bedding-even at that though, a lot of bunnies who are allergic to certain type of bedding more end up sneezing and having respiratory problems as a reaction.

Latest posts

Back