diareeha

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluekatt

Reaction score
i havent bene online for a while butwith good reason i got 2 7 weekold bunnies
both female (dont worry and they wil be spayed either way )
they are both like night and day though they get on well
misty how ever has a diareeha problem
personally i think its just adjustingto the differnt food she is getting herebut after mitzi i am sill paranoid
especially after just now when i had to clean thegunk of her back side and stomach with awashcloth and warm water
(she seemed to think it was fine either way )
right now i seperated misty and mischa
the question i what to do now keep themseperated for a while and see if t clearsup or rush to a vetas soon as possible ?

after mitzi i am a tad paranoid and i am geting attached tomischa but misty worries me especially after i foundher with her front paws in the water bowlagain
she is livley enough though

bah there goes my nights rest

This is the info in the reference centerpage under 'Diarrhea'... There's a lot more info on thispage, but I've cut n' pastedthe most important bit.(And I don't like the sounds of the feet in the water dish, either, ATALL, so I'd personally go for the vet asap, and get her drinking lotsof water or juice in the meantime). If you're VERY sure therunny material is cecals and not true diarrhea, then keep her on justhay and water for a day or so. She really should be eatingthe same food she had before with only a gradual change.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

What is it?
From Dana Krempels, Ph.D.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Diarrhea

True diarrhea is more common in baby rabbits. One of the most commoncauses is coccidia, and if you see runny stool in your baby rabbit, youmust get him to the vet as soon as possible for treatment. In a babyrabbit, dehydration caused by diarrhea can rapidly result in death. Itis wise to consider runny stool in a baby rabbit a true emergenc

Unformed Cecotropes: Mushy or Runny Stool

A rabbit suffering from cecal dysbiosis will produce cecotropes thatare mushy, pasty or even liquid. They are usually quite foul-smelling,and often stick to the bunny's back end in great, nasty clumps. Theseunformed cecotropes are not a primary disease, however. They are asymptom of a disorder somewhere in the bunny's system. In order to curethe runny stool problem, the underlying cause must be addressed.

>>Unformed Cecotropes: Mushy or Runny Stool

A rabbit suffering from cecal dysbiosis will produce cecotropes thatare mushy, pasty or even liquid. They are usually quite foul-smelling,and often stick to the bunny's back end in great, nasty clumps. Theseunformed cecotropes are not a primary disease, however. They are asymptom of a disorder somewhere in the bunny's system. In order to curethe runny stool problem, the underlying cause must be addressed.<

its this believe me the smell alone is enough to confirm that
currently i set her apart from the other one ( whois doing fine no problems at all) and the kitchen paper i lined the other cage with( no need to make her any dirtier then she alreaydis wil get ) is already halfsoaked
quite frankly i dont get what caused this
she is getting vitamin droplets not too muchfood ( enough for them both but not tomuch so they can gorge them selfs ) andits a mixture of the pellets i bought andwhat they got in the pet store

either way this means a trip to the vet

( cant right now its the middle of the night )

what i am also worried about is this contagious canthe other rabbit get it as well? ( they werent together toolong before this startedbut eh im paranoid after mitzi )

Sometimes diarrhea is caused by a coccideainfection, and in that case it is possible that it couldspread. Though the other rabbit is most likely exposed anywayand coccidea is often a secondary response to something else.

Are you sure it's unformed cecals? True diarrhea is more common in babies, and it can also be very smelly.

Make sure she's drinking lots of water and eating hay. Takeaway the new pellets and only feed her the old stuff. And getrid of the vitamins if she wasn't getting them before,too.Rabbits don't need vitamins anyway, as longasthey're getting pellets.And then yes,get her to a vet in the morning.

When you start switching her pellets again, do it veryslowly. Start with maybe one part new and at least 5 partsold pellets.

too late im afraid
when i woke up earlier today i found misty in a corner not breathing
..thats the second bunny in barley 3 weeks
this depresses me
all who is left now is nicky who seems tobe fine quite livleyalert curiou and interested
lets hope she wil be here for longer then a week
if not i wil most likley chuck it in al togetherbecause i dont think i can take another lossnot in such rapid succesion

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :sad:

Out of curiosity, did you get them from the same place? Therecould be an infectious disease being spread at this facility (was it apet shop?) or poor conditions there creating large amounts ofstress. If it is a pet shop, it's possible that the rabbitswere weaned very young and shipped long distances- it's not uncommonand it does lead to a high mortality rate.

I would suggest taking your Nicky in to the vet for a checkup just tobe safe, and if possible have a necropsy (animal autopsy) done on Misty.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

:purplepansy:

Latest posts

Back