Deworming question for new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bun123america

Reaction score
Hello, I was doing some research and found to be safe you should treat your new rabbit with Panacur to help prevent E Cuniculi I’ll be getting my bunny in a few days and was wondering if it’s safe to give to a 9 week old bunny?
I was definitely going to wait until she got settled in first before giving her anything that could bother her GI system but I’ve read controversial things on whether or not you should deworm at that age or if I should wait until she’s 6 months old? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'd wait until she's a bit older, but that is a personal choice. Personally, I only use a dewormer if and when my rabbit needs it as opposed to a routine basis. Bunnies generally do well on a healthy diet (hay and pellets) and safe, clean environment without needing any preventative treatments (aside from something like vaccinations) or dietary additives.

I'd wait until she's a bit older, but that is a personal choice. Personally, I only use a dewormer if and when my rabbit needs it as opposed to a routine basis. Bunnies generally do well on a healthy diet (hay and pellets) and safe, clean environment without needing any preventative treatments (aside from something like vaccinations) or dietary additives.
Okay that makes sense. Would you want to deworm yours at all since they weren’t in your personal care prior to getting your bunny and then thereafter just as needed or as needed all together? That’s my concern is I know puppies are way different but they get dewormed from Breeder (normally) prior to going home to the new owner so that’s why I wasn’t sure if i should deworm once she’s in my care (once she’s OLDER of course :) )

If you already have rabbits at home, it may be worth doing a round of Panacur. But if it's your first bunny at home, then I wouldn't. This is just my personal opinion.
With dogs, you generally just give them a tablet, then yeah, they're good. With rabbits, it's a nine-day dose, and can be stressful to rabbits. My bun takes his with fruit (we just finished a 28-day dosage), but you wouldn't be able to do that with a baby

If you already have rabbits at home, it may be worth doing a round of Panacur. But if it's your first bunny at home, then I wouldn't. This is just my personal opinion.
With dogs, you generally just give them a tablet, then yeah, they're good. With rabbits, it's a nine-day dose, and can be stressful to rabbits. My bun takes his with fruit (we just finished a 28-day dosage), but you wouldn't be able to do that with a baby
Ok thank you for that information. Yeah she would be my only bunny.

I haven't dewormed any of my rabbits even once. They all came from previous owners, and one boy even had two owners before us. None of them have ever had issues with parasitic worms. I haven't worried about it at all, i know what my rabbits eat and where they go, and if she's your only bun, then there's even less to worry about. I would be more hyped to get their vaccines done, for us there's myxoren vaccine for myxomatosis, but i'm sure that american clinics also have vaccines for rhvd-1 and rhvd-2, you might just need to ask around to get them.

One possibly lifesaving tip from my experience-find a savvy vet way before you actually need to. You can just google "exotic vet near me" and go from there, house rabbit society also has a list of vets, or any rabbit rescue would also be able to reccommend to you some trusty vets.

Best of luck with your new girl!

Some rabbit owners will do a prophylactic 5-9 day course of Panacur with any new rabbit coming into their home. The limited study did show that it helped newly exposed rabbits remain seronegative. So it's really up to you. Though if the bun has been exposed to a rabbit with EC, I would certainly go ahead and do the treatment.

https://be.chewy.com/treatment-and-prevention-of-e-cuniculi-in-rabbits/
https://www.nantwichvetgroup.co.uk/preventative-medicine/
If you do decide to do it, you need to make sure you get the rabbit panacur(not readily available in the US) and not the equine paste. The instructions will be in the box. Or I've used the liquid Safeguard(do not use the paste) in the past, which is the same type of dewormer in liquid form and more easily available in the US. If in doubt, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

With regards to vaccinations, only some rabbit vet clinics here in the US carry the rhd vaccine. I think in California and maybe a few other places with recent cases of the virus.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

The current approach by rabbit vets in the UK is not to (try to) treat preventatively for EC. If you were going to do that it would have to be a 28 day course but there isn't any evidence this eliminates the possibility of later flare-ups. Also, bunnies should not be wormed routinely, only use worming medication when there are worms.

I asked the chemist for something to treat mites today, he called the vet, the vet suggested the dog and cat spit in treatment Advocat. Once a month although I’m not sure I’ll be doing this every month? It treats internal parasites also.

I asked the chemist for something to treat mites today, he called the vet, the vet suggested the dog and cat spit in treatment Advocat. Once a month although I’m not sure I’ll be doing this every month? It treats internal parasites also.
Please don't administer anything until your bunny has seen a rabbit vet. There is no point in treating for mites when the bunny doesn't have mites.

Please don't administer anything until your bunny has seen a rabbit vet. There is no point in treating for mites when the bunny doesn't have mites.
Thank you, my bun will be seeing the vet for a dental check up and I shall ask her advice,

Latest posts

Back