Dewlap size linked to age in unspayed females?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemony4

Reaction score
Hi all, I adopted my female rabbit 2 years ago from a shelter. She was found on the street so they had no idea how old she was. However she did arrive unspayed and they told me that due to her dewlap being pretty small, that was an indicator that she was young-- around 2 or younger. I suppose if the dewlap grows over time in an unspayed female then this would make sense.

But I have also heard that dewlaps can vary widely depending on the breed, excess fat, and even specific rabbit, so I'm not sure if what they were telling me was really reliable.

Since getting spayed her dewlap has gone away completely (though she's definitely gained some lbs), if that information is relevant.

I've been sort of obsessing over finding out her age range lately so if anyone has heard of dewlap size being linked to age of female rabbits, or if you think this is unreliable, let me know!
Thank you

If you send us some pictures we can try to figure out the breed, which might help with figuring out the age. Weight, size (large, medium, or small), and fur type might also help.

If you send us some pictures we can try to figure out the breed, which might help with figuring out the age. Weight, size (large, medium, or small), and fur type might also help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BU6mt3l

There's two images in that link, both taken the day I got her. She was a fully grown adult of about 5.7 lbs, I would put her at medium to large size, fur type is very silky smooth, but not short like a Rex. And way smoother than that of my Holland lop

She does look young in those pictures, so I agree with the vet about her being 2 years when you got her. Her fur and face almost looks like a mix of lop and rex, and her weight would also suggest that. I'm guessing she is probably 4 or 5 now.

She does look young in those pictures, so I agree with the vet about her being 2 years when you got her. Her fur and face almost looks like a mix of lop and rex, and her weight would also suggest that. I'm guessing she is probably 4 or 5 now.
Interesting, thank you for the input!

Once grown up it's inherently difficult to tell the age, even with the rabbit on the table. Dewlap size is more an individual and breed thing, mostly influenced by female hormones - my 1yo has a huge dewlap, my 8yo none (I couldn't tell if she's 2 or 8, someone with a lot of practice might see some clues, but nothing so obvious that it would show on pictures, imho)

With a mixed breed, without any good references to similiar rabbits, I would just believe any educated guess, better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back