Dewlap Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi all and Merry Christmas! (this is the only thing I have done early this year!!)

I am just wondering what age do rabbits usually get their dewlap flaps. I noticed Tiny is starting to get hers and she is 5 months. Does this sound about the right age?

Thanks

Depends on the genes. In some breeds, dewlaps are undesirable and are show disqualifications. In other breeds, rabbits may develop dewlaps at anytime in life. Some when they reach maturity - others not until much later.

Pam

There is no way to keep them from getting them though is there? You can have them removed I think...but it is a natural thing. She is a flemish giant.

Thanks

:shock:I've never heard of removing dewlaps, and it's definitely not something that should be done... ;) There's simply no way around them if it's genetic for the breed. ;) Crosses even will get dewlaps. All does are able to get dewlaps. If it's a breed that can't have a dewlap, they'll get DQ'd at a show.

Emily

To have the dewlap removed would be a very simple procedure actually... It's just a small bit of cosmetic surgery.

Oh...I would never have a dewlap removed!! I was just wondering if that was a normal age...I wanted to make sure she didn't lie about the age.

Latest posts

Back