Dewlap (Graphic Photos)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually no different than any other kind of skin removal. But yes, she is so happy that she can groom her sides and butt and all that....Her fur already looks better. I didn't realize how shabby it was from not grooming (we can brush them, but they do they best job).

Sounds like she's improving daily! I'm glad she is eating and drinking.

I always put the nutrical on their foot. They have to lick it off and hate it. Pumpkin is good for her - in a little amount. I give Clover some as a treat - maybe 1/2 tsp.

Do you think there is any correlation between the size of the dewlap and when they were spayed? I had Sparky and Scooter spayed at 4 and 3 months, respectively; and they both have tiny dewlaps.
From a biological perspective, this totally makes sense. Since only females get the dewlap, its growth must be related to the amount of female hormones circulating in the blood, because the only thing physiologically different between males and females is the types of circulating hormones. More female hormones=more dewlap. So removing the uterus and ovaries (i assume that's what they do during a spay?) would cut off the source of hormones, so the dewlaps would be smaller. I'm sure there are other factors in dewlap size, but because of the gender/hormone relationship, age of spay is likely to contribute a lot.

Sorry if that was too much science for you
:p
[align=left]
[/align]

I have two Flemish Does who have dewlaps, but the dewlaps are evenly spread across their chests. My Flemish buck has a small one, but its not a DQ, as it is a trait of the breed.

To think some bunnies actually pay for dewlap augmentation!:D Just kidding.

I never had heard that it could be a problem for a rabbit. I have been altering the diet of a couple of mine because they developed small ones that DQ'd them for showing.

I am curious, how much did it cost to get a dewlap reduction? Just in case I can't get theirdewlaps reduced by the spring shows.

I hope she is o.k. and getting back to her old self. :bunnynurse:

Such a sweet girl! Is she feeling better today?

Wabbitdad12, surgical corrections are not allowed for show animals. The idea is to judge them on their genetic potential, which is helped by proper care and diet. And besides, it looks like an awfully big surgery to do for just cosmetic reasons. In this case it was necessary because it was causing a big impact on her health. Rabbits that can't groom themselves are susceptible to a lot of other problems, including fly strike.

Wabbitdad12, the surgery didn't cost me anything. :) My dad did the surgery (vet, lol) and he does work for the rescue that I volunteer for, so this was a voluntary service.

But for "any other Joe Blow who wants it" (as he put it) it would cost about $150.

Naturestee, Pellette is doing FANTASTIC. I can't let her out for exercise (Dad wants enforced confinment because of her incision- he had to enlarge it more than typical because her uterus was stuck to her cecum and colon..part of pyometra...) so she's confined until Saturday or Sunday. But she is SUCH a sweet bunny. And she's so hygenic now!

dsc00522kw5.jpg

dsc00521ew7.jpg

naturestee wrote:
Such a sweet girl! Is she feeling better today?

Wabbitdad12, surgical corrections are not allowed for show animals. The idea is to judge them on their genetic potential, which is helped by proper care and diet. And besides, it looks like an awfully big surgery to do for just cosmetic reasons. In this case it was necessary because it was causing a big impact on her health. Rabbits that can't groom themselves are susceptible to a lot of other problems, including fly strike.
I knew that!:biggrin2: I have no idea what I was thinking when I responded. I guess it was my insomniataking over logical reasoning and if that doesn't work Hey Iam a guy!

By the way, I NOW HAVE 19 BUNNIES!, a black Flemish doe we bought Sept 15th at a show was PREGNANT! I went into our bunny room to put one a rabbit back into her cage and I saw something about the size of a mouse. My first thought was how did a mouse get into Sweetie's cage, then I noticed it was a kit!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Such a sweet girl!  Is she feeling better today?

Wabbitdad12, surgical corrections are not allowed for show animals.  The idea is to judge them on their genetic potential, which is helped by proper care and diet.  And besides, it looks like an awfully big surgery to do for just cosmetic reasons.  In this case it was necessary because it was causing a big impact on her health.  Rabbits that can't groom themselves are susceptible to a lot of other problems, including fly strike.
I knew that!:biggrin2:  I have no idea what I was thinking when I responded.  I guess it was my insomnia taking over logical reasoning and if that doesn't work Hey Iam a guy! 

By the way, I NOW HAVE 19 BUNNIES!, a black Flemish doe we bought Sept 15th at a show was PREGNANT!  I went into our bunny room to put one a rabbit back into her cage and I saw something about the size of a mouse.  My first thought was how did a mouse get into Sweetie's cage, then I noticed it was a kit!

Omg!! Wabbitdad, are you going to keep the baby(ies) ??

Wow, I am glad she's doing well- but WOW I have never heard of dewlap removal and I have had many large breed rabbits for years and years. Was the surgery the only thing the vet could come up with. Seems slightly cruel to me - but then again I don't know the priors on her situation to make that judgement. But the idea of removing a otherwise healthy animals dewlap just doesn't make sense to me.

So happy to hear she is doing well and hope she will have a full and healthy recovery. I must say that I have never heard of having a dewlap removed just because of it's size. I mean if the rabbit is healthy why risk it's life with a surgery and put it through pain. I understand if it was a life or death thing or if she was sick but if not then I don't understand it. Good Luck.

Some breeds are disqualified from showing if they carry any dewlap... Netherland dwarfs, Polish, Tans, etc. And even in breeds that allow dewlaps, the standard calls for a balanced appearance with body type and size. Some rabbits (Does) do develop huge pendulous dewlaps.

Too large a dewlap (as mentioned here) will prevent proper grooming and cleaning. So removing a huge dewlap can be a matter of allowing a rabbit a normal life.

As mentioned, the rabbit also had pyometria (uterine infection), so it was all dealt with under one surgery.

I wish her a speedy recovery!

Pipp wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Pellette's dewlap reminds me of a Palomino bun I helped transport named Tank. Hers was big and lopsided too, and she also developed an abscess in it but that healed quickly.

Hmmm... and Tank died not long after during a spay. Never did hear exactly why. It would be interesting (albeit unlikely) if there was a correlation.

sas :?

There was a comma missing here... I meant Tank died not long after the transport, during a spay, as Angela noted.

I'm stillwondering if she had a compromised uterus and the enlarged dewlap was an indication. We'll probably neverknow,but I find it curious.

sas :?

solebomber wrote:
Wow, I am glad she's doing well- but WOW I have never heard of dewlap removal and I have had many large breed rabbits for years and years. Was the surgery the only thing the vet could come up with. Seems slightly cruel to me - but then again I don't know the priors on her situation to make that judgement. But the idea of removing a otherwise healthy animals dewlap just doesn't make sense to me.
He didn't come up with it, I came up with it after reading about the process in a textbook. Pellette was a great candidate for the surgery. He opted to do it after I presented her and her case to him. He'd done it before.

She also wasn't exactly an "otherwise healthy" animal.

It's no crueler than spaying and it's considerably less invasive.

That being said the incisions are clean and dry, and I may be able to let her out for a little exercise on Saturday in her outside pen. Her neck is a little stiff, but she's taking it very well.

I think she'd like to get out of her cage. I think she'll also be happy once she's off of injections. I pulled the syringe out yesterday and she was all like, "OHMYGOD NOT AGAIN!" Poor baby.

Does anyone else have a rabbit that hums while they groom? Because she hums, she's so freaking happy to be grooming herself. It's hilarious. And whenever she sees me, she starts making this snuffy noise and these little vocal noises, and coming up to see me. And it's so easy to check her neck incision, because she lifts her head up for petting.

It's like she's singing in the shower!!!! LOL! "la la la I'm grooming myself.... where I couldn't before.... the diet must have worked....... " :singing:

How cute is that?!

Ivory, you are going to be a good vet one day - just like your dad.The comfort and care and quality of life of an animal is where your heart is - and that is awesome!

that's so cute! i'm glad your bun is so happy now. she seems like a real joy!
and i totally agree that the dewlap surgery was a good idea for her, and carrying it out in conjunction with the spay was a great idea.
yay for you and pellette!
best wishes for a speedy recovery....

Just to let everyone know, Pellette's stitches are coming out either tomorrow or Thursday.

She's doing fantastically and enjoying grooming herself, etc.

I think she'll be glad to be able to go back on the grass.

Wonderful. Please give us a couple of photos before you take her back to the rescue!

Is her hair coming in some?

Latest posts

Back