Dewlap (Graphic Photos)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, poor thing did. But it was definitely for her good.

Here she is tonight, feeling pretty weird and still very groggy, but she's eating!

dsc00480qy7.jpg

Awww poor baby doesn't feel good :(

Do you know when they normally get a dewlap? Heidi actually has a looseness there already - not really a dewlap but definitely can tell she's gonna have one.

naturestee wrote:
Pellette's dewlap reminds me of a Palomino bun I helped transport named Tank. Hers was big and lopsided too, and she also developed an abscess in it but that healed quickly.

Hmmm... and Tank died not long after during a spay. Never did hear exactly why. It would be interesting (albeit unlikely) if there was a correlation.

sas :?

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::cry2:big kiss: looks like it hurts, hope your baby feels better soon.

Kareena, our sanctuary bun, had a sizeable dew lap, immediately after rescue. It shrank considerably after she was spayed. I've heard that on females that will happen, but not sure if it's a generalization or case specific and depending on age...

I hope she'll be fine and gets lots of TLC.

Pipp wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Pellette's dewlap reminds me of a Palomino bun I helped transport named Tank. Hers was big and lopsided too, and she also developed an abscess in it but that healed quickly.

Hmmm... and Tank died not long after during a spay. Never did hear exactly why. It would be interesting (albeit unlikely) if there was a correlation.

Not encouraging...

Pellette is doing okay, but she is still awfully weak from it. She lost more blood than a typical spay during the surgery (chronic false pregnancies will do that). I admit that I'm worried about her. I was thinking of possibly adding unflavored Pedialyte to her drink, just for a few days.

That being said...all the spots she couldn't groom before, she can't seem to get enough of now...although her neck wound is pretty stiff she seems to be doing okay. But she's still a little weak. I admit I'm a little worried for about the next five or so days. There isn't much reason to be, but I feel very bad for her. Having your body constantly acting like it's pregnant is bad. She's lucky her pyometra wasn't worse.

Emily

Actually, Tank died during the spay. What I was told was that she "took a bleeder" which I take to mean the vet didn't watch what he was doing and hit an artery.:?

Before that she had been healthy, and the owner had xrays done because of suspected damage to her shoulder, and the xrays showed nothing unusual although I don't know if they did the whole body or not. And no shoulder damage- she just reacted badly to people touching her on her shoulders because of previous rough handling.

Pipp wrote:
naturestee wrote:

Do you think there is any correlation between the size of the dewlap and when they were spayed? I had Sparky and Scooter spayed at 4 and 3 months, respectively; and they both have tiny dewlaps.

That sweet girl wants to get all clean and pretty for when she feels better from her *chest* reduction!

I would add that pedialyte. Could you give her just a bit of nutrical? Just to give her some energy?

Emily, I would add the Pedialyte. Actually, if you want her to drink more fluids you can mix flavored Pedialyte with water and put it in a second bowl. The flavored stuff really has only a small amount of fruit sugars, not enough to cause stomach upset especially if you dilute it. But it does taste yummy!

I agree that a bit of NutriCal might help too. It gives some calories plus B vitamins for energy.

I bet all those spots she couldn't reach before itch from not being groomed. It must feel really good to finally reach them!

Slavetoabunny, I thought mini rexes didn't normally have big dewlaps. Most of the adult females I've seen at shows and on breeder websites have fairly small ones.

Oh yeah! I bet those places do itch! Bo gets all wiggly, licky, wide eyes when I get a spot he can't manage well (just above his tail!)He tries to lick where I am and he ends up licking me! LOL!

Mini-rex boys don't get dewlaps - or just very little thin things. Bo has a fullness there, but nothing else.

:pray:I hope Pellette is feeling better soon.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Mini-rex boys don't get dewlaps - or just very little thin things. Bo has a fullness there, but nothing else.

That's what Rex has - it's like a chest pad :p

Yeah, he gets big tufts of hair there when he's molting and fights me about plucking them! :X

and he won't let me rub there - it looks/feels soft.

I've added the Pedialyte to her water. She doesn't seem to notice any difference and is drinking well. I'll see if she'll take some Nutri-Cal. Zorro hated the stuff.

How about a little bit of pumpkin or some kind of related gourd? It's easy to digest, she should be okay with it. I won't feed her too much but I think it would be good for some easy food.

She's eating her hay...she loves hay! She's eating her timothy-only pellets and her regular pellets as well.

She's in confined quarters for the next three or four days so I can't let her into her pen, although all she does is sit around and eat grass anyways :).

All this being said she seems happy to see me whenever I come out. She's a really sweet rabbit. I'll get some pictures in a little bit!

Latest posts

Back