Determined Litterbox Digger

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hello,

Lulu has turned into a VERY messy bunny. Shes good about her litterbox habits, but then she promptly kicks out all the litter and sends it flying across the cage and onto my carpet! Not so good.

I bought her a litterbox with very high sides, but then she just kicks it out the door. Rims do absolutely no good.

I think I need to get a litterbox with some kind of grate. The corner ones they sell at petco/petsmart are a good idea, but they are awfully small. I have rabbits, and Zeppelin is a fairly good sized lop. I feel bad when he has to shove himself into the corner.

I'm thinking about trying a "litterbox screen" from binky bunny. The thing is, i'm not sure what stops the rabbits from just picking it up and tossing it out. That sounds like something Lulu would do.

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with these? Thanks!

I use vent wire called hardware cloth. You cut it a little bigger than your pan, slit the ends and fold it to fit down over the sides of the litter. If your bunny is on it they can't pick it up and toss it. Nikki was doing the same thing, so I just got her a ridiculously big pan and only put a small layer in there. She moves it around but no longer kicks it out making a mess.

I have a doe that is doing the same thing & I put a wire rack cut to fit the litter tray, that sits just above the litter to stop that from happening. It's messy alright otherwise & a dam pain to keep cleaning it up!

We put grates over our litter pans using those plastic egg crate panels that are made for fluorescent lighting. Home Depot and other hardware stores sell them. We cut it to fit the box, put it up on legs (made from the same thing, zipped together with zip ties) and them put it in the litter box. The litter goes below, the grate on top and then we put hay over that. We need to cut some new ones though, I recently put new litter boxes in and tossed the old ones. If we don't have those on, our buns will pull the litter out quite often... or at least our male will.

There are several different options. What will work really depends on your individual rabbit. I've used a riser grate that sits above the litter, that worked well. Because my of my older rabbits arthritis and being more prone to sore hocks now, I am currently using a homemade screen similar to binkybunny's but made out of soft mesh screening, that just sits on top of the litter. I haven't had any issues with my rabbits trying to lift it up at all, though that's not saying a determined bun couldn't do it.

A lot of figuring out what will work for your particular rabbit is just trial and error. I've had to try all sorts of creative solutions to 'outwit' a determined bunny :p, and sometimes I have to end up scrapping it and try something else. Here's one set of instructions for a plastic riser grate, though if your bun is prone to sore hocks and/or spends a lot of time in the litter box, then you will want to put down a soft layer of hay over it.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/stormhaven-litter-system-step-step-instructions-48510/

Latest posts

Back