depression

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinandwhiskersmom

Reaction score
I've been fighting depression since my first child was born, a loooong time ago. My Pumpkin hasn't been herself lately, and it's made the whole depression thing even worse. She's about 10 years old, and has some of the typical aging bunny stuff going on, plus 2 bladder stones and is recovering from a slight bout of stasis. My daughter left for her 2nd year of grad school, and my older son moved back to college. Tomorrow would've been my mom's birthday, and we always made big deals out of birthdays. She's only been gone for 2 years, and my dad died about 7 months before that. I'm really tired of missing them....we were really close...lived in the same town and all. Sorry to be whining so much! I just knew that you guys could be trusted! Thanks for listening.

:hug:

I am so sorry you're feeling low :(

Do you have any kiddos at home still? Empty-nesting sucks... my dad found it really hard when my sister and I left home. I'll be thinking of you.....:rainbow:

pumpkinandwhiskersmom wrote:
I've been fighting depression since my first child was born, a loooong time ago.
Oh wow - I do sorta understand. I struggled with depression for years (and years and years).

Can I ask what you're doing for yourself to help fight against the depression? I notice that when I feel the worst in a depression - its when I'm the least likely to do what I need to do to get out of it.

Here are some hints/tips/tricks/whatever...

• I have had depression sometimes that makes me almost nonfunctional - what I do now is give in and sleep one day (stay in bed/whatever) - but the next day I need to get up and then do at least three things. It can be any three things...even doing something for myself like take a shower and do a facial will count.
  • Drink lots of water. The body really does need more water than we often drink - I find the more I drink - the better I feel. I use the Crystal Light type flavors (from Walmart - their store brand) - and mix the tube of powder into a bottle of water. I try to drink 5-6 bottles per day due to my weight.
  • Eat three meals per day - this is something I'm horrible about. Or eat 5-6 small meals - but don't stop eating cause you "don't feel hungry".
  • Get outside every day - for at least 10 minutes or so - your body needs the sunlight.
  • Walk - if you can - your body needs the exercise.
  • If music helps you - play music when you're home and doing housework or on the computer or whatever.
I'm also going to encourage the obvious like seeing a counselor (that halped me immensely) - and if possible - getting on antidepressants and see if your body needs that extra "umph" to help you function. Alicia (JadeIcing) can tell you I called her crying the day my counselor talked me into seeing my doctor for an appointment to get on anti-depressant meds again - I was so sure I could do it on my own. But - getting back on meds was the BEST thing I ever did for myself and my family. I've been going off my meds lately (off and on) and forgetting to take them - and let me tell you - it sends me into the start of a depression in 24 hours if I'm off.

I've come to learn that I have something - I forget the exact term - but it is like "cyclical depression" - and I will probably have it the rest of my life. I will have to monitor it just like I do my high blood pressure or just like someone who had diabetes would have to monitor their insulin levels. I have had to make plans for what to do when I get really down.

But getting counseling helped me get rid of some of the emotional issues and false beliefs behind my depression - now I mainly deal with the messed up body chemistry that can make me sink into depression.

Oh - and I'd have your iron levels checked too - as whenever I start to become anemic again...there comes the depression. (I've had bouts of anemia like 5 or 6 times I think...).

Please know my PM box is open if you need someone who's been there to just listen.

TinysMom wrote:
Get outside every day - for at least 10 minutes or so - your body needs the sunlight.
Walk - if you can - your body needs the exercise.

Agreed, it is impossible to be depressed if you're active (*edit* Disclaimer: Active means doing something you enjoy, while exercising). Medical fact this is, exercise causes the body to release chemicals that make you happy.
Also when you start exercising you'll start seeing that your body will tone up more, which trust me I know it's a massive happiness boost when you fit in to something that you'd grown out of. Your self image will get a boost...

Go out for a run for half an hour a day, if you don't have the time or live in a cruddy neighbourhood there are always other options, find local jogging groups etc. go to a local national park.

Seeing a doctor is always vital when you aren't feeling too good, physically or mentally. Counsellors are well trained and they are there to help YOU. Find a counsellor who you get along with, the younger they are the better!

But in the meantime start running, start forcing yourself to eat three consistent meals a day. Have your big meal for breakfast or lunch and only have something small for dinner.

I don't know much else to say, I've dealt with depression too, so you know, my PM box is always open too... I won't judge you, I've been down that road too, I've thought the worst thoughts imaginable... So drop me a PM, you can say anything, there's nothing I haven't heard before. (Except a good polka)

P.s.

I just thought of another thing. Each day do something creative and new. For me I make a weird noise and do a little dance. Then I know I'm unique and special because nobody else has done what I just did in that place.

:hug: Depression is tough. I've been battling OCD/Depression for as long as I can remember, and as much as having a pet around is a large help, it really hurts when they hurt. I hope everything is alright

:bunnyhug: you arent whining! - dont ever think you are - there are a lot of us around who know exactly what you are going thru. i do many of the tips in pegs' post tho' i dont notice mention of patchwork, crochet or tatting::biggrin2:.
my pm box is always open too.
donna x

Thanks so much for the hugs, love and encouragement. I've been on antidepressants for a while, and they usually keep things good. There've been a ton of changes lately, and I'm not the best at handling change. My daughter went back to Toronto today, my older son moved back to school last week, and I started back to school as well. My biggest thing is that I'm really afraid. Every time I've tried to start back, something awful has happened. The first time, my dad died, then my mom died. When I tried to start back last fall, my dh became quite ill, and was in the hospital with pulmonary emboli. Now I'm afraid, especially with my Pumpkin not being up to par, that something is going to happen to her. I know it's irrational, but it just scares me to pieces. Anyway, you guys are so sweet...:inlove:thanx again for your support!:hug: to all!

Hugs - I have had chronic depression coupled with the seasonal depression... it is not a fun condition.

My pets help immensely... it seems that if I am down the Checkered Giants start doing rippin' rabbit in their cages, and half-binkies... Weatherly will tilt her big head, and lift her upper lip in a "smile" to make me laugh, Freedom will whirl her backside around for a rump scratch and will remind me with a indignant hoof stomp that I am not done... winter is coming on so I am watching myself closely.

I don't think I would be functioning without antidepressants and counseling. One day at a time... that is the best way to look at things.

Denise

Thanks, Denise. You are absolutely right about so much. My bunnies keep me from losing it so many times....and their precious fur has been soaked by tears more times than I'd care to admit. Right now, Pumpkin isn't doing real well, so I'm mega-worried about her. And you are sooo right about the meds, too. They've made a huge difference for me....I'm afraid to think what I'd be like without them! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Latest posts

Back