depression & mania

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have the wii stuff at all...

I do have a gym membership and read for a laugh? The richard simmons videos...I do that sometimes...and I really have not been going to gym, but since I do not work on Fridays...I have thought that at least maybe go then..no worries about my daughter and care...the gym give two hours free care per day...barely enough to get there and have a class, change your clothes etc...

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I love yoga, you should give it a try :)

I have been biking for a few months now. I wanted a bike again and when we found one in a yardsale my aunt bought it for me. $20, it is pink but I can deal with that. Moutain bike so that is great. I try to bike everyday. I Love it, listening to music and going as fast as you can speeding down the road makes you feel free. Everything just leaves you, life stands still. The best feeling :)
The very reason I loved and still do...Motorcycles...I have never been more scared, alive, happy and free then when I rode....I sold my bike however,,....

Orchid wrote:
Hi Katt...

If we could talk about....like an actual diet plan that would be great if you do not mind...I do better when I have like rules to follow ya know?

I did get some slimfast can shakes(for on the go), the powder mix (for bfast in the morning) and some of these Special K? strawberry snack bars? and drinking stuff that is supposed to help with hunger...So like tomorrow...I plan to have the shake in the morning which I slip some low fat yogurt in, make a piece of toast with jam...

Lunch, have a shake....drink that K drink to help keep hunger away through out the day ay work, which for me is 9-3:30...have maybe a snack bar thing with lunch (which is the Slimfast shake) orwhen I get home....and have a simple dinner...Want to try to get back to good little meals...I have not really been cooking..

So like tomorrow night we might have some flounder fish over rice with a can of peas.

I would like to try...to really lose this weight.

I want to get a little mp3 player that allows me to listen to music as I walk, ride my bike or go to the gym...I would like to try to buy a bike for myself that wont hurt and is not falling apart...I found one at walmart for like a hunderd that looks good...maybe a xmas present to myself!

My self image is making everything I think and feel about myself horribly bad...and if I can just even start to make a dent, stop gaining..I know I would start to feel better...

Oh and I do takea multi vitamin with my welbutrin every morning..

Thanks for any advice and help you can offer...

Fresh fruit and fresh veggies are hard because they seem to cost so much now!

sure! no problem.

first i would suggest limiting your caffine toless then 100 milligrams a day. in reference to products you might use, a cup of coffee (normally about 6 ounces of black coffee) is about 146 milligrams. if you are like many people and need at least a little jolt in the morning or thru the day i would suggest a 1 minutes brew of black tea which in comparison is only about 28 milligrams per 6 ounces black, if you need a stronger brew then about5 minutes is like 46. a twelve-ounce can of soda will have between 40 and 65 milligrams (depending on brand). if you are a pop drinker, i would switch to a caffine free cola or diet cola (most brand names make them now, and even alot of off brand too).

generally speaking you want 4 ounces of a lean protien in each meal, about4 ouncesof a startch/grain, andabout 6 to 7 ouncesof veggies. or a 30% protien, 30% startch/grain, and 40% veggie. . .if you break your round plate into a pie chart (not sure if any of that makes sense lol)

i personally consider eggs to be the godsend of food. they are cheap, filling, and very healthy. an egg white has only like 20 calories in it. the yolk has about 70.

it is wise for people that have anxiety issues to lean tward a vegetarian diet. you don't have to go full to that, but just by limiting how much red meat you eat, or maybe swtiching to soy milk can help. it is kinda complicated to explain why it helps with anxiety but it has some stuff to do with meats, egg, dairy, sugar and refinedflour productsleaving an acid-residue in the body and how the body reacts to that.

and as hinted to just a second ago. stay away from the refined flour and sugar. especially the sugar. it does take some work, but in the end it is worth it to reach for that apple to help a sweet tooth then a milky-way. after a while of just not eating junk your body changes over to not liking the candy-bars and such. don't give it up right away, just do little things. like don't by ice cream, instead by real fruit sorbet or frozen yougurt.

slim-fast is great for busy people. or just asa meal replacement. can i offer a suggestion to try? instead of putting jam on your toast (which most contain white sugar) try a drizzle of honey, or real maple syrup. these are natural sugars and while they still aren't terribly healthy to consume lots of, they are better then jelly made with white sugar.

don't go to just 3 meals, try 5 or6 small meals. in reference to anxiety again people that have blood sugar dips tend to cause many of the same symptoms as anxiety. if you eat 5 or 6 small meals during the day you aren't really giving your system a chance to crash.

also, allowing yourself to cook a healthy meal for yourself and others(like family) can have an uplifting effect on mood. its all about how it feels to acomplish something, even as small as making dinner.

i can't say how big breakfast is. it is so huge! don't skip it or skimp on it. it is way healthier to load up for breakfast and eat light the rest of the day then skip it and gorge at dinner. but try to stay away from carb filled cereals and such. if your not much of a breakfast food person then eat chicken, or something else.

and this is all just the start. . . i could keep talking lol. thats what happens when i work around food all the time and with people that are limited on what they can and can't have. i'm not saying to be perfect, don't think that. i know that i'm not (and for talking all this healthy stuff i fully admit that i am still 40 pounds overweight, and ate pasta in a cream sauce for dinner lol) its all about just working on the little things. like i said in an earlier post, just make one change to start out with. just work twards 1 great meal a day (like breakfast), then when you have that system down and are used to it try adding another. buy frozen yougurt instead of ice cream, but don't worry if you break down and eat a candy bar.

and here is the big thing, if you really want something. . . lets say your craving a whopper and fries. . . if you really want it, then here is a great suggestion (for when you can) first, drink a big glass of water, then think about if you really need it. and wait 10 or 15 minutes. if you still want it after that, then go for it. not allowing yourself a few guilty things once in a while will only make you hate yourself for when you give up and just eat it. the trick is to let yourself induldge (like my pasta in cream sauce tonight), to not feel guilty for eating something bad for you. just remind yourself that it's back to good after that and mean it.

and BTW, this is what works for me, these are the tricks that i have found to help myself out, it might not work for you (or maybe only a little of it). but doing this i have lost about 45 pounds in the past year, and i feel lots better about myself (enough to say out loud that i bought a jeanskirt that goes just above my knees. . . its a big deal for me as i hate my chubby legs)

ok, i think i've writtin enough. and feel free to ask anything about food in relation to depression or whatnot, if i don't know it is easy for me to ask one of the 9 diatitians that are a fountian of information

hope something i've said helps

Wow, great info Katie!

I was diagnosed a few years ago with Major Depression Disorder, I also have anxiety problems that really affect me in social situations. I take medication for my depression disorder, Lexapro once a day. I also have to take something to help me sleep because after I got control over my depression I developed serious insomnia (weird, right?). I was prescribed Seroquel for that. I recently lost my health insurance, but before I did I stocked up on both meds. My psychiatrist was kind enough to give me a bunch of samples. I worry about when I run out and what I will do. Just recently I had to stop seeing my therapist because of the dropped insurance, it's too expensive. Though she offered a payment plan, I felt I had learned enough skills to handle tough situations on my own. I had to stop seeing my psychiatrist as well.

I've taken so many different meds I lost track. For a long time I was on Risperdal, but after having blood work done it was discovered the medication was messing up my hormone level to the point I started producing breast milk! I really don't like taking medication, I would like to someday not be on any, but because my depression is from a disorder it feels like I don't have a choice but continue taking it.

thanks guys! a lot of the information i gave is stuff we also use for patients that are in the metal health ward of the hospital.

and i wanted to say i focused on the anxiety aspect of it because what i found is that when i worked on my anxiety it really helped with my depression too.

and i forgot how big it is to talk to someone. i am in therapy, or should i say just back in therapy. if you can afford to do so, then get in a program.

if you can't i would suggest looking into anything from hotlines, to church groups, to finding a way to afford it (like my shrink only charges me for 1 out of like every 5 visits, she lables the rest as "med reviews" and my insurance covers them completely)

and thanks for the compliment on the losing the weight. it feels great to have it gone (and i can't wait to lose the other 40 pounds). actually most of that 45 pounds i lost was weight i had gained from my meds (stupid mood stabalizers made me eat like crazy, i was always hungery).

i too have been on just about everything. i have found a very happy place with prozac (i take only 20 mg during the spring/summer/early fall and bump it up to 40 mg during the late fall and winter cause my depression is way worse then). i am even happy to say i don't have a script for a tranq anymore.

i have found that if i use the methods to cope from therapy, mix that with healthy eating and sleeping habits, and getting active (like dancing around my house), then i am good in life!

katt wrote:
thanks guys! a lot of the information i gave is stuff we also use for patients that are in the metal health ward of the hospital.

and i wanted to say i focused on the anxiety aspect of it because what i found is that when i worked on my anxiety it really helped with my depression too.

and i forgot how big it is to talk to someone. i am in therapy, or should i say just back in therapy. if you can afford to do so, then get in a program.

if you can't i would suggest looking into anything from hotlines, to church groups, to finding a way to afford it (like my shrink only charges me for 1 out of like every 5 visits, she lables the rest as "med reviews" and my insurance covers them completely)

and thanks for the compliment on the losing the weight. it feels great to have it gone (and i can't wait to lose the other 40 pounds). actually most of that 45 pounds i lost was weight i had gained from my meds (stupid mood stabalizers made me eat like crazy, i was always hungery).

i too have been on just about everything. i have found a very happy place with prozac (i take only 20 mg during the spring/summer/early fall and bump it up to 40 mg during the late fall and winter cause my depression is way worse then). i am even happy to say i don't have a script for a tranq anymore.

i have found that if i use the methods to cope from therapy, mix that with healthy eating and sleeping habits, and getting active (like dancing around my house), then i am good in life!

That has been MURDER on my wieght gain....and well quitting smoking...both together and here came like 90 pounds....

Wish I could write more, but I have to go for now....Thank you for everything!

There is a lot of great information in this thread and I hope the discussion keeps going.

However - since it isn't mainly about rabbits - I'm moving it to the Let Your Hare Down section of the forum because the topic is a better fit for that section.

Thanks for your understanding.

I didn't know depression meds made weight fluctuate so greatly... is it scary to be on medication?

kirbyultra wrote:
I didn't know depression meds made weight fluctuate so greatly... is it scary to be on medication?

Some do, but not all....

I would say it would vary from person to person...I mostly have had no effect from meds tried...but like abilify, couldnt eat, couldnt sleep and felt like I was going crazy...

Seroquel is great for headaches and migraines...but tranqs...and some people have very different reactions to it...

I was the only person I ever know that had a med called Neurontin help me...was great for my depression...

I think it is more scary having to admit...I have a problem...I need help...and it is worse when you need to admit it the most...and need help the most...

All of course my personal opinion...

My old friend Sam in NY..was afraid to take any sort of pill...today she is on some things and she is relieved with how it has helped her...and sorry she feared taking them for so long...thinking things could have been much better for her years ago....but I think...things happen as they are meant to....

I was the only person I ever know that had a med called Neurontin help me...was great for my depression...

Ugh, I tried Neurontin 10 years ago and just recently was put on(but stopped) lyrica(the new version of neurontin). I wish it had the effect of it helping depression. I had the opposite and was one of the "1 in 500" that got severe depression and panick attacks as a side effect. I already have depression and anxiety so it made it 100x worse and I had to stop taking it. Sucks because the Lyrica was the first medicine that actually helped my chronic pain.

So its been a hard 2 months with being on this new medication, getting even more depressed and then having to stop the pill and have the pain come back. Then feeling sad/hopeless because I had to stop something that was finally helping and having my 24/7 pain come back. Its F'ed up.

I wish doctors were able to just cure you. Give you that magical pill to fix everything.

degrassi wrote:
I wish doctors were able to just cure you. Give you that magical pill to fix everything.

Well...while we wait...I will stick with buns...lol

ONe of the problems they did not mention is Neurontin is known to be bad for anger, can cause rage attacks....DUMB BUTTS should not give a med like that, to a person like me...but hey...It is why I stopped...

I had found the neurotin at like 1200mg or so, with topomax...seemed to work well...Topamax seemed to control the overly manic part neurontin through me into and controled my hunger issues...but it was the anger issues that got me away...

I think I might try to revisit it some how..talk it over with a doc...

Orchid wrote:
degrassi wrote:

Well...while we wait...I will stick with buns...lol

ONe of the problems they did not mention is Neurontin is known to be bad for anger, can cause rage attacks....DUMB BUTTS should not give a med like that, to a person like me...but hey...It is why I stopped...

I had found the neurotin at like 1200mg or so, with topomax...seemed to work well...Topamax seemed to control the overly manic part neurontin through me into and controled my hunger issues...but it was the anger issues that got me away...

I think I might try to revisit it some how..talk it over with a doc...
Thanks, I'll have to ask my doctor about Topamax. Sounds like its similar(seizure med that also treats headaches) but without the "suicidal though" problems that can happen with neurontin and lyrica. Plus having a med that would also help control weight would be good :) I could be headache free and skinny again!

I am so afraid of the depression med stories because I always hear about how crazy they make people feel or developing sleep issues, etc. Same with sleep meds and their side effects. I kinda feel like I will get prescribed something and I'll be too chicken to take it.

I"m scared to try any other depression meds now too. I've taken a few and they didn't work for me and were HORRIBLE! to come off of. I was sick for a month trying to quit them(yes I tapered off super slowly). It felt like I was going through drug withdrawls(nausea,dizzy,achy,couldn't think, would cry) and I couldn't function. I wasn't even on high doses!

So now that I was able to get off them, i'm scared to try a different one. If it doesn't work will I have to go through the same horrible withdrawls trying to stop it? Its hard figuring out if the possible side effects are worth the help from the pill.

Plus I had weight gain from them. Not the funnest of side effects :(

degrassi wrote:
I"m scared to try any other depression meds now too. I've taken a few and they didn't work for me and were HORRIBLE! to come off of. I was sick for a month trying to quit them(yes I tapered off super slowly). It felt like I was going through drug withdrawls(nausea,dizzy,achy,couldn't think, would cry) and I couldn't function. I wasn't even on high doses!

So now that I was able to get off them, i'm scared to try a different one. If it doesn't work will I have to go through the same horrible withdrawls trying to stop it? Its hard figuring out if the possible side effects are worth the help from the pill.

I know people will say it is wrong...but I do not believe in the tapering off for these sorts of meds.

I would rather get it out of my system and be done with it...then suffer through a taper down...

Personal opinion...

Orchid wrote:
degrassi wrote:

I know people will say it is wrong...but I do not believe in the tapering off for these sorts of meds.

I would rather get it out of my system and be done with it...then suffer through a taper down...

Personal opinion...
The problem with stopping suddenly is you can have severe withdrawls and become quite sick. Tapering is recommended to try and reduce those withdrawls and side effects.

But even after tapering for a month, where I felt fine during it, it was bad. Stopping the last pill was horrible. I figure I probably would have felt the same effects if I had just stopped the full dose and not tapered.

But I'm still not against antidepresssants. They are great medications and help a lot of people, you just have to know what you are getting into. Doctors prescribe them like candy and I dont' think most patients quite understand how they work or understand the side effects/withdrawls they can have.

Has anyone tried Cymbalta?

I was on cymbalta for a while. I have been on many meds for my depression! Right now I am on Prozac and abilify. It seems to be working. I did do something drastic though, I had ECT treatment last year. I think it helped a lot.

ooo the zac and abil..had bad reactions for me....

Horrible nightmare from the prozac and I couldnt eata nd sleep when I tried the Abilify

Latest posts

Back