Dental

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She could be feeling reluctant to eat hay because her dental might be causing her to experience some pain from eating the dried hay. Maybe because the coarseness of it hurts to chew, or it could be that her jaw is sore from her mouth being propped open for the dental procedure, so that the motion required to chew hay makes her jaw hurt. Those would be my guesses since you describe her as being excited to eat her other food. So maybe for a bit you'll need to stick with soft food until the pain has subsided.

If you have access to plenty of fresh grass, I would offer lots of that to her until she's had a little more time to recover and any soreness to go away, provided fresh grass isn't causing any digestive issues. The grass will help with the tooth wear and also keep that digestion moving. Then as the soreness fades, you'll likely start seeing her snacking on hay again. Then that would be the time to transition her back from fresh to dry hay.

She could be feeling reluctant to eat hay because her dental might be causing her to experience some pain from eating the dried hay. Maybe because the coarseness of it hurts to chew, or it could be that her jaw is sore from her mouth being propped open for the dental procedure, so that the motion required to chew hay makes her jaw hurt. Those would be my guesses since you describe her as being excited to eat her other food. So maybe for a bit you'll need to stick with soft food until the pain has subsided.

If you have access to plenty of fresh grass, I would offer lots of that to her until she's had a little more time to recover and any soreness to go away, provided fresh grass isn't causing any digestive issues. The grass will help with the tooth wear and also keep that digestion moving. Then as the soreness fades, you'll likely start seeing her snacking on hay again. Then that would be the time to transition her back from fresh to dry hay.

Thank you. I feel like I'm going crazy and I'm getting paranoid over everything she does! I'm working from home at the moment and i usually work at the table close to her but ive taken myself upstairs and out the way.

I'm still checking on her every other hour, giving her recovery food, some fibreplex and ive been hand feeding her hay and fresh grass for about 25-30mins at a time so hopefully that helps. Poops all look good so hopefully gut/digestion issues shouldn't be a problem. Touch wood shes only had stasis once in her life and that was because she managed to get hold of the guniea pigs alfalfa hay ring, safe to say we keep those under lock and key now.

Thank you again, I feel like I'm spiralling and shes probably picking up on me stressing over her which probably isn't helping matters.

It's hard not to stress when these things happen. It's good to get away to a different room for a bit. I find when they're right there with me, I overanalyze every little detail of their recovery.

Latest posts

Back