Dental abscess advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theresayewnohoo

Reaction score
I think I have some actual Farm Wisdom (TM TM TM) to share.

We have two rabbits, Sushi and DaFuzz. We have had Sushi for 6 years, a gift for my middlest’s 8th birthday. Sushi came from the animal control as an “adult,” which means 2 years or older. So, Sushi is now at least 8 years old (I’d guess more like 12 or so).

DaFuzz is from the Humane Society. When we adopted DaFuzz, he had a severe dental abscess that is sadly common in lop-eared rabbits. The veterinarian did not offer a positive prognosis. Still, I believe in giving disabled animals a worthwhile life for whatever time they have, so we adopted him.

The vet gave him the strongest antibiotics possible. Still, the prognosis was not too good. But then something unexpected happened.

Sushi RELENTLESSLY cleaned the wound. Every time I looked at the two of them together in the first month or so, she was cleaning his wound.

Between that and the antibiotic from the vet, the abscess healed completely. It has never recurred, and it should have by now.

My recommendation: If you have a bunny with dental abscesses, put them with another bunny who loves them. The love will literally heal the wound. And nothing you find online will give you this info. I discovered it myself.

Latest posts

Back