Dehydration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo1

Reaction score
Hi, what does everyone use to make sure their bunny stays hydrated. I have 2 water bottles in my rabbit’s cage. I make sure her leafy greens have some water on them but I don’t like leaving a water bowl in her cage since it can get dirty or tipped over. Thanks

Is there a reason your rabbit isn't drinking well on her own? Usually nothing extra needs to be done to keep a rabbit hydrated unless there's a problem with your rabbit, with the water, or with the water dispenser(eg. clogged/stuck valve on a bottle).

Water bowls usually are a better alternative than bottles. Bottles can be more difficult for rabbits to get enough water out of at a time so could lead to some minor dehydration . Heavy ceramic bowls or locking bowls can solve the tipping problem. And bowls are much easier to clean out than bottles.

She seems fine but the recent blood work came back she was a little dehydrated. I’ll buy one of those bowls that you attach to the cage you mentioned. Thank you

I bought a ceramic bowl at Target for my rabbit. They were having a clearance sale in the dish aisle and I found the perfect bowl for her water and greens. She cannot tip it over and I always put the water in the corner of her pen.

I often think my rabbit doesn’t drink enough water and it’s always in the back of my mind. So I always have water on his veggies (quick rinse before serving) and I kinda run any fruit or snacks under water too. Like a piece of apple and or a carrot (I think it reassures me more than anything) but my bunny doesn’t finish his water bowl daily thats for sure.

A friend of mine actually squeezes a bit of orange into the water just enough to entice but not enough to result in any sugar intake.

I bought a ceramic bowl at Target for my rabbit. They were having a clearance sale in the dish aisle and I found the perfect bowl for her water and greens. She cannot tip it over and I always put the water in the corner of her pen.

my bunny always puts his foot in his 😂😂😂 he has no special awareness

I often think my rabbit doesn’t drink enough water and it’s always in the back of my mind. So I always have water on his veggies (quick rinse before serving) and I kinda run any fruit or snacks under water too. Like a piece of apple and or a carrot (I think it reassures me more than anything) but my bunny doesn’t finish his water bowl daily thats for sure.

A friend of mine actually squeezes a bit of orange into the water just enough to entice but not enough to result in any sugar intake.
Thank you!

Actually that's a bad habit for your friend to get into. By adding any flavor to water it can spoil the bun and make the rabbit refuse to drink regular plain water. It isn't the sugar intake alone that's the danger, but the idea that bun won't drink water unless it has flavor. This can then lead to dehydration if bun remains stubborn against drinking plain water.

Last edited:
We have had our Mini Lop for little over 6 months now. We have never seen him drinking water. I always leave clean water in a water bowl. He is primarily on grass diet, is that why he doesn't need water?

We leave him out to roam in the backyard all day, and put him in outdoor cage at night.

We have had our Mini Lop for little over 6 months now. We have never seen him drinking water. I always leave clean water in a water bowl. He is primarily on grass diet, is that why he doesn't need water?

We leave him out to roam in the backyard all day, and put him in outdoor cage at night.

If he is eating fresh grass, then yes, that would be why he doesn't need to drink much, if any, water. Though I would still continue to provide a fresh water source in case he ever does need it.

Last edited:
Actually that's a bad habit for your friend to get into. By adding any flavor to water it can spoil the bun and make the rabbit refuse to drink regular plain water. It isn't the sugar intake alone that's the danger, but the idea that bun won't drink water unless it has flavor. This can then lead to dehydration if bun remains stubborn against drinking plain water.
Only when she notices he’s had no water! Not daily!

If he is eating fresh grass, then yes, that would be why he doesn't need to drink much, if any, water. Though I would still continue to provide a fresh water source in case he ever does need it.
Aaah so this is why Alfie doesn’t drink a big load of water daily. He has access to fresh grass all day.

I would suggest NOT leaving your bun outside during the night. That is the absolutely WORST time to keep a bunny outside. Because of predators.. drastic temp changes. Stress. Please please please keep your bunny indoors.

We threw away our water bottles and use bowls, instead. We thought we were doing the right thing by having TWO water bowls next to the pellets and hay. However, we still wondered if one of our does was getting enough water.

So, we bought several non-tip kitty bowls from Dollar Tree, scattered them around the house and filled them with water. The little rascal took to using them right away; and, her urine output increased, dramatically.

I'm now a believer: Make sure that bunny is always close to water.

Latest posts

Back