Definitely not Netherland Dwarfs, what are they??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvin101

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify my 2 babies? We were told they were Netherland Dwarfs when we got them at 8 weeks, I don’t think they are.. it’s not really that important, we love them and they’re spoiled regardless.
(Both female, vet confirmed)
Luke Skyhopper (Blonde) weighs 5lbs while Hops Solo (Brown mix) weighs about 4.5lbs. Any help would be appreciated 😁

(pictures with the pumpkin is when they were roughly 4-5 months old, the other two are recent pictures)
7B81C1CB-A4DA-49D7-B405-C62C567B9626.jpegB99E0ADB-9F00-45AE-8755-C155317E8C59.jpeg
36CAEE64-46C3-4ADD-9301-C7A31DEA8A06.jpeg
2EC172BE-8981-4AF5-A028-B5DCF271CD16.jpeg7B81C1CB-A4DA-49D7-B405-C62C567B9626.jpeg

Definitely not purebred n. dwarfs at those weights. Dwarfs will be around 2 lbs., 3 at most. They could be mixed with dwarf, but without specific identifying traits(eg. size, type of ears, specific head shape), there's really no way to know what breed they are. Usually this will mean they're likely mixed breed. Though I will say that the darker colored one does have a n. dwarf look to his head shape and eyes.

Not sure I can help with the breed, but based on the rabbits we have at home, I almost think they look like a rex mix? With the weights you gave I think mini rex possibly. My daughter has a Mini Rex and he is the softest thing you will ever pet so if the fur is super soft that could be another indication of the mini rex. Oh and I did want to say I love the names !!! I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Definitely not purebred n. dwarfs at those weights. Dwarfs will be around 2 lbs., 3 at most. They could be mixed with dwarf, but without specific identifying traits(eg. size, type of ears, specific head shape), there's really no way to know what breed they are. Usually this will mean they're likely mixed breed. Though I will say that the darker colored one does have a n. dwarf look to his head shape and eyes.
Thank you! She definitely does have the head and eyes!

Not sure I can help with the breed, but based on the rabbits we have at home, I almost think they look like a rex mix? With the weights you gave I think mini rex possibly. My daughter has a Mini Rex and he is the softest thing you will ever pet so if the fur is super soft that could be another indication of the mini rex. Oh and I did want to say I love the names !!! I am a huge Star Wars fan.
Okay so yeah I was considering like a mini Rex mixed with a n. Dwarf!
Also yes, these babies are the softest things ever. All that our friends and family which have met them can talk about is how cute and soft they are.
And thank you so much! We initially were told they were boys so the names were perfect, but found out they were girls and didn’t have it in our hearts to change them, plus they already knew their own names.

They definitely aren't rex with a rex coat. Rex have a very distinctive dense plush velvet like coat. I can see in the photos that your rabbits look to have a normal coat, though even in a normal coat there can be differences with how soft a rabbits fur is. Rex could be part of the mix, but without the distinctive rex coat. Again, there's just no way to know for sure.

I don't really see any dwarf in them. These rabbits look like mixed breeds. Rabbits aren't like dogs, where you can guess what breed mixes they are. Purebred rabbits are quite rare, and breed characteristics tend to disappear within a single generation (except a lionhead mane, which is a dominant characteristic).

Latest posts

Back