(Deceased) Lumps, bumps, tumours, abscess, the whole lot.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did wonder that myself, although, only when I got home, but I think the theory is the same as with the x-ray and scans, it's an additional stress to Sweep, and whatever the knowledge, we wouldn't do anything with it just yet, unless Sweep starts to decline. He is very sure it's not an abscess. He said tumour then talked about fluid filled, which might be a cyst? I don't know.

Right now he is full of himself and it's right to keep him here. That's what I am going to keep asking myself, is it right for him to be here, is he getting some pleasure? And go from there.

I've never had a long term ill rabbit before, they have all been short term. This is a new experience, and a crappy one at that.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm so sorry. I really hoped it would be better news for you.:(

I said it to you already, but I think you're doing the right thing, and thinking what's best for Sweep. And like you said, he's still acting full of life for now, so its best to make the most of the time you've got with him, and make his last weeks the happiest weeks of his life, and you'll know what decision to make when the time comes.

:hug:I'm at the other end of msn if you ever want to chat

Jen xx

naturestee wrote:
I'm so sorry.:tears2:

Could the vet do a needle aspiration to get a look at what's inside? It would be less invasive than full surgery, basicly a big needle used to suck a little stuff out and see what it is. It doesn't always work with thick abscess puss, but it's something to try so you'll know what's actually going on.

:hug:

Generally, it is preferred to go in and surgically remove the mass, then do a biopsy. Sticking a needle into it may result in the release of cells from the mass into surrounding tissue,so it is not advised to destroy the integrity of the mass wall.

There is hope that it may just be an enlarged cecum. I had felt a similar mass on someones rabbit last year. The owner had noted it at home and brought the rabbit to a show for me to palpate. A sonogram revealed that it was just the cecum, and it went back to "normal" shortly after.

Ifthere isactually a tumor in the skin layer - generally not a good sign in rabbits. Due to his advanced age, these types of health problems are not unusual. :(

Pam

Im so sorry, Tracy. I wish you guys had Bicillin available to you over there, which would be worth a shot if you even suspect its an abscess. Its hard to say what it could be wihout going in surgically. My vet said abscesses and tumors can often feel the same.

Another thought that just came to me- I remember when Binkies first got her boy, Gravy she felt a large mass on his tummy. She thought it was a tumor and he was going to have to be monitored and pts if it spread. The vet went in and it turned out to be a bot fly or something? I wonder if that could be a possiblity here if your boy is kept outside? I cant remember how the vet found this out- Does anyone else remember?

I'll be praying for Sweep, Tracy. I wish there was more I could do to help.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know I haven't been about, but I really do appreciate your support, so thank you.

Pam, if it was an enlarged cecum, what would that mean? What causes it?

He has three other tumours, one in the skin layer, two below it but definitely there. This one you can feel when you palpate his stomach.

I am so sorry about this.....it is just so sad.

In many ways, I can sort of imagine how you're feeling because I remember when GingerSpice was so sick...I often wondered about her quality of life and it is hard when you recognize and know that you have limited time with a bunny. It is bittersweet - unlike a sudden death - you have time to say goodbye - to make those memories and take those pictures...yet....it is so hard to enjoy that time and make the most of it.

I really really hope that Pam is right.....

Please give him an extra cuddle (or treat) for me.....

I'm so sorry...
I really think you're making the right decision. I don't think Sweep needs the stress when after all he's happy now. I say go ahead and spoil the heck out of him.;)
Hugs for you and Sweep. :hug: I'll be kee ping you guys in my thoughts.

Thanks for the replies guys. I meant to reply to Haley about botflies. I don't think we have them hear, and it feels very much internal, so I don't think that is a possibility.

It's hard, isn't it Peg, to watch someone you love fade away and know its your responsibility to decide what to. That a very big responsibility to shoulder.

Flashy wrote:
It's hard, isn't it Peg, to watch someone you love fade away and know its your responsibility to decide what to. That a very big responsibility to shoulder.
It was truly the hardest thing I've ever done. I wanted her to hold on - for my sake. When I finally realized that the best thing I could do was to make her comfortable and let her pass and to stop force feeding her....I cried and cried.

But I knew it was time....I put one of her towels in the dryer so it would be toasty warm....offered her water one last time - and snuggled with her in my arms - knowing it was our last "nap" together (she frequently slept in my arms for a nap - sometimes at night too).

Five hours later - she peed on me - sighed - and was gone.

Treasure every moment you have left....it will hurt like h*ll now but in the future - you'll be so happy you had this time.

I'm so sorry - I'm bawling here for you...

:hug:

It will hurt, but I also know it's right to do. I'm just getting to know him again after him losing Sunshine, so it seems very unfair that he should be taken now. He has always been the healthiest, most robust bunny of the pair. I wanted him to beat Tubby's age of 11 years and 10 months. But that is now highly unlikely to happen.

It's sad. I've never done this before, not like this. Looks like I came back to the forum in the nick of time.

Flashy wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I know I haven't been about, but I really do appreciate your support, so thank you.

Pam, if it was an enlarged cecum, what would that mean? What causes it?

The cecum could be enlarged for any number of reasons - tumor, bloating, fluid retention, sluggish digestive system, or simply the process of normal digestion.

Pam

I feel for you and I understand what you are going through. I thank you for your reply on my post. Your heart will tell you, as hard as it is, you will know. Even Sweep will let you know one way or another.

Our thoughts are with you, may you guys enjoy and make the best of his time he has.

TinysMom wrote:
Flashy wrote:
It was truly the hardest thing I've ever done. I wanted her to hold on - for my sake. When I finally realized that the best thing I could do was to make her comfortable and let her pass and to stop force feeding her....I cried and cried.

But I knew it was time....I put one of her towels in the dryer so it would be toasty warm....offered her water one last time - and snuggled with her in my arms - knowing it was our last "nap" together (she frequently slept in my arms for a nap - sometimes at night too).

Five hours later - she peed on me - sighed - and was gone.

Treasure every moment you have left....it will hurt like h*ll now but in the future - you'll be so happy you had this time.

I'm so sorry - I'm bawling here for you...

You guys are tremendous strength as I watch two disabled girls ...

Sending out hugs to you and Sweep :hug1

Yesterday was a sad day ~ as a friend wrote on Thursday saying she was putting her big white NZ girl (Pooka) to sleep after various health and suffering issues, pain management as well. The desk gets soaked with tears!!!
Peg, your veteran posts are comforting whenever we face difficult decisions ... :hug1 ... the comfort and support from friends is so dearly appreciated.

Treasure each day !

Thank you, and thank you TreasuredFriend.

Sweep has had a marvellous day today, although he does look a lot thinner today than yesterday, and his lump is more prominent too. I think 4 weeks is very optomistic, but for now, he is having a great time. I want him to go from seventh heaven to bunny heaven :)

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Peg, your veteran posts are comforting whenever we face difficult decisions ... :hug1 ... the comfort and support from friends is so dearly appreciated.

Treasure each day !
I wish I didn't have the experience to have me say the things I say cause what I share - comes from my own heartbreaks.

I've got to say this....I've lost rabbits different ways...

• Walk out and find them dead in the cage (when they were alive just a bit earlier) and go "What the XXYZ?" and wonder what happened
  • Suddenly realize they're ill....and they're gone within minutes or hours
  • Realize they're ill but have a day or more with them
  • Have a bun that is ill long-term and watch them slowly (or far too quickly) get worse and then lose them
Of all those scenarios - I think the first one is almost the hardest as you never had a chance to say goodbye. The second one is shocking and because you witness the death - you're shellshocked and angry and the grieving is still there - but it is different.

In the third case - the grief is sort of different - you have time to try to "make deals" with God...."let them live and I'll do this" or "Please give me more time". You might even have hope at times....only to still wind up devastated.

And with a rabbit that is ill for a bit and you recognize that the end is coming - at least you have some time for snuggles and for pictures and ... to prepare your heart. It is still hard - because you start the grief process while the rabbit is still alive. But - you have that time to make those memories - you can get those last pictures in - and somehow, I think that makes it a tad bit easier to let go. Why? Because you had a chance to start letting go while they were still here....if you were willing to do so.

I've lost rabbits all four ways - for me personally - all of the ways I grieve from those situations hurt....I'm not sure which is the worst. But I notice that in each case - I have different emotions- either shock because I the rabbit is gone and mourning that I wasn't there to help them pass - or shock that they left suddenly (but relief I was with them) - etc. etc. etc.

Flashy - you're in my thoughts and prayers - I really hope you have more time than it is sounding like - but I'm so glad you're putting Sweep's needs and comfort first.

TinysMom wrote:
I wish I didn't have the experience to have me say the things I say cause what I share - comes from my own heartbreaks.

I've got to say this....I've lost rabbits different ways...

• Walk out and find them dead in the cage (when they were alive just a bit earlier) and go "What the XXYZ?" and wonder what happened
  • Suddenly realize they're ill....and they're gone within minutes or hours
  • Realize they're ill but have a day or more with them
  • Have a bun that is ill long-term and watch them slowly (or far too quickly) get worse and then lose them
Of all those scenarios - I think the first one is almost the hardest as you never had a chance to say goodbye. The second one is shocking and because you witness the death - you're shellshocked and angry and the grieving is still there - but it is different.

In the third case - the grief is sort of different - you have time to try to "make deals" with God...."let them live and I'll do this" or "Please give me more time". You might even have hope at times....only to still wind up devastated.

And with a rabbit that is ill for a bit and you recognize that the end is coming - at least you have some time for snuggles and for pictures and ... to prepare your heart. It is still hard - because you start the grief process while the rabbit is still alive. But - you have that time to make those memories - you can get those last pictures in - and somehow, I think that makes it a tad bit easier to let go. Why? Because you had a chance to start letting go while they were still here....if you were willing to do so.

I've lost rabbits all four ways - for me personally - all of the ways I grieve from those situations hurt....I'm not sure which is the worst. But I notice that in each case - I have different emotions- either shock because I the rabbit is gone and mourning that I wasn't there to help them pass - or shock that they left suddenly (but relief I was with them) - etc. etc. etc.

Flashy - you're in my thoughts and prayers - I really hope you have more time than it is sounding like - but I'm so glad you're putting Sweep's needs and comfort first.

all oh so very true, and have experienced them all. I have to say I think though the best for the bun is when they are acting fine and normal one hour and gone POOF the next , at least it was quick and sudden and they probally felt no pain but maybe a split second depending on the cause and then they were gone.

course i feel horribly cheated with that type of death, but i'd rather they go quick and be happy just before, than be long term ill and not feel good..

if they are ill for a while, but don't really seem to know they are ill, like if they have a cancer but they feel fine, then i try to make the best of their time they have left. and get them across the bridge before they get to the point of miserable..

either which way you typically feel cheated. i think one the worst ones though is if they are young and ill and never had the chance for a good nice life,..

but i supose i'd rather have a wonderful happy short life, than a miserable long life..

honestly no, they just need to be happy healthy and live forever, *sigh*

I'm not posting for attention or anything else, but Polly suggested I update this thread because of Sweep. So this an update FOR Sweep. No one needs to waste time commenting and I don't expect people toor even really want anyone to, I just want to publicly say this, because that is what he deserves, for everyone to know the courage my boy is showing.

Sweep is being wonderbunny. He has surpassed what the vet thought and he was very surprised by how he is doing. The vet said that is down to the care he gets at home. He has made so much effort and is fighting so hard despite his body being deeply ravaged. He is perky and interested and full of life. I am so proud of him and that is why I am posting this. He is incredible and deserves so much more than the hand he has currently been dealt.

Latest posts

Back