(Deceased) Lumps, bumps, tumours, abscess, the whole lot.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the really amazing thing is Trace his love of life and the ladies :pFor having that lump he really is doing so well.

Sending you and sweep hugs that he will go on a while longer for you yet and get to his gotcha day :hug:and far beyond.

Flashy wrote:
Sweep is being wonderbunny. He has surpassed what the vet thought and he was very surprised by how he is doing. The vet said that is down to the care he gets at home. He has made so much effort and is fighting so hard despite his body being deeply ravaged. He is perky and interested and full of life. I am so proud of him and that is why I am posting this. He is incredible and deserves so much more than the hand he has currently been dealt.

Oh wow - this is so wonderful. I honestly think you're giving him great care...and I think that part of the reason he's doing so well is because of you (no matter what you may say...and I mean that nicely!).

With New Hope - I said, "he won't make it till Thanksgiving" and then "he won't make it to Christmas" .. then "New Years" .. then Valentine's Day.

When I went home to my mom's someone asked me how I felt about leaving New Hope and I said, "The only way he'll pass away is if they strangle him...".

Actually - he did not do the best since they didn't cuddle with him and feed him by hand like I do....but he made it through the week and met me at the airport w/ Art & Robin...

My point? I think that sometimes our animals love us so much - they hang on and fight and exceed our expectations.

I'm so happy for you and for Sweep. When he's ready to leave - he'll let you know. Till then - enjoy every minute...that is what I do with New Hope.

I haven't been able to post or PM for the past month or two, and the search engine hasn't worked either in a couple of months, but I wanted to say thatSweep'sstory from the start reminded me very much of Domino's, Anilover's 16-year old boy who was not at all bothered by a tumor that protruded through the skin and looked pretty ugly to us humans.

My recollection may be off, but I don't think he sawa vet right away, and then he hung in there for something like a year after the diagnosis. (Liver cancer? Liver tumor?) The Vet said that he wasn't in pain and he sure didn't act like he was.

It made me feel so much better about the quality of life in those situations.

With Sweep, it's a great opportunity to spoil him and literally show himthe time ofhis life. No worries about too many treats or any other fun stuff.

It will be sad to finally lose him, but really,what a great long and happy life he will have had.

I honestly find it hard to mourn my Dad, who died after94 healthy years. He started gettingalittle sick, tired and bored, and had soon had enough of that. He stopped eating and faded away on histerms. Youcan't ask forbetterthan that. People - and pets -- can't live forever. A long, happyand pain free lifefull of love and good care is the next best thing. That's what you've given Sweep. Hopefully it will be even longer.

Hang in there little guy!

sas :bunnydance:

TinysMom wrote:
My point?  I think that sometimes our animals love us so much - they hang on and fight and exceed our expectations.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I believe also. The quality of our care and the love they feel we give them is the reason they try so much to stay with us, no matter how serious an ailment is.

Tracey, you should be proud of both Sweep and yourself, because you are two stuborn, strong and determined fighters!

Thank you for updating us on Sweep, you may not realise it, but there are a lot of peope out there who really care...
Marietta

Thank you so much for all being so nice. I really thought I would be blasted for posting.

Sweep is being spoilt rotten. He is getting the best runs, the best food, the best ladies, an he knows it. He has become a turdy brat, lol, but a soppy turdy brat that I wouldn't change for the world.

I have never seen him happier than he is now. Since being moved down with the other buns he has found a new zest for life.

His body is giving out even though his spirit is fighting doggedly on. He is uncomfortable when he lies in certain positions and often lies like heaviloy pregnant doe (back feet under his belly), other times he stretches right out like he nas nothing wrong. He is a bag of bones and his lump. His lump is very prominent (the vet thinks at least part is cystic) so it is hard to tell exactly how much weight he has lost because obviously the lump is bigger.

He is on daily metacam and also tri-daily fibreplex to help his gut. His poo is long and thin, more like guinea pig poo, so we have given him a bit of enforced diarrhoea to help stuff shift past the lump.

He went down hill so quickly the first two or three weeks and then when we started pumping him full or anything and everything yummy it stopped his weight loss a bit. He is also on a food mix with the peas, corn, etc in and he eats mounds of that, and that, again, has helped him stop losing weight so rapidly.

That all sounds like he is having a nightmare, and physically he is but you wouldn't believe it to look at him running around. He runs around chasing ladies, jumping here, there, making HUGE holes in our law, DBF-ing everywhere. Only the other day I caught on tape the 'dance of the old, intact bunny' which was hilarious and when it comes to his RB thread it will be shared there.

Yesterday he 'helped' me tidy his run. As I swept it up into a pile, I turned around to get the dustpan and turned back to find my lovely pile being dug all over the run. He was very plainly saying 'mum, I had it how I liked it', and then every time I brushed it up, in a pile or in the dustpan, he spread it out. He's helpful like that.

It's a good job my dad has a soft spot for Sweep because Sweep has always been a digger and has been putting some immense craters in our grass. The funniest part is that he starts them off and then others jump on the bandwagon when they get the chance and make them even bigger. He is teaching them bad habits.

I have taken roughly 300 photos in the past six weeks (yes, six weeks since he was diagnosed as having four left to live) and 90 mintues worth of filming of him pottering around. He may be ill, yet he is so happy, so full of life, he's ok being here.

It's not been all fun and games, we have had a couple of days where I have nearly poddled him off to the vets for the last time, but I have since discovered those are the days he begs mum for more food and so she gives in (ever since mum thought she found him dead she has been spoiling him rotten). Then when I give him food and he looks so unenthusiatic, I think 'this is it', get upset and get ready, but really he is just full.

I started blogging his last moments, but I stopped because they were not his last moments. Blogging made me focus too much on the bad and not see the good of what he was doing and how he was.

I know some of the things we are doing are not ideal for rabbits but you have to understand that he is on very borrowed time, so we are extending the time for as long as Sweep tells us it is ok to, and yes, if that means doing slightly off the wall things, then that's ok by me and my rabbit savvy vet whom has been ace. So please do not bash me for feeding a mix or inducing sloppy poo, I can'ty handle that on top of all this. I am just doing all I have to do to try and keep his body going as long as his mind wants to, and I'm trusting in him that when he is ready he will tell me.

I also just want to say a massive thank you to Polly. She has been incredible through all this. And also to Marietta who has constantly cared enough to ask how he was doing and keep me boosted. As most people know, having a terminally ill animal is a very dark, lonelyplace to be, so you two have helped me so very much. Thank you both *squidges*

PS, Peg, I'm so glad New Hope is doing well, that's great news. Long may it continue.

That previous post is so sweet. I'm glad he's having so much fun! You seem to be taking this well and I know I'm not the only one who's behind you 100%.

How's our boy doing today? I've been thinking of you, and your post was so cool....it sounds like he's loving every day of his life...and isn't that what counts? Take care!

Sending you and Sweep love and hugs. I really don't know what to say. I am happy that you are focussing on the positive with him, I have no doubt that that is why he is hanging on. :rose:

Flashy wrote:
I know some of the things we are doing are not ideal for rabbits but you have to understand that he is on very borrowed time, so we are extending the time for as long as Sweep tells us it is ok to, and yes, if that means doing slightly off the wall things, then that's ok by me and my rabbit savvy vet whom has been ace. So please do not bash me for feeding a mix or inducing sloppy poo, I can'ty handle that on top of all this. I am just doing all I have to do to try and keep his body going as long as his mind wants to, and I'm trusting in him that when he is ready he will tell me.
When you have a terminally ill animal - you do whatever you can to help them. New Hope's been renamed (by Art) "Cheerio" since he eats the cereal by the handful - yes - you read that right....by the handful....several times per day.
But guess what? It keeps the weight on him. He eats his cheerios and his rabbit food and his banana and his baby food and whatever else he darn well wants...and he's healthier now than he was before. So pooey (his poo) on those who would flame me. As Art will say, "I just gave Cheerio a handful (of cheerios)"....and he's doing just fine.
I also just want to say a massive thank you to Polly. She has been incredible through all this. And also to Marietta who has constantly cared enough to ask how he was doing and keep me boosted. As most people know, having a terminally ill animal is a very dark, lonelyplace to be, so you two have helped me so very much. Thank you both *squidges*

You are so right about that hon - it is a dark and lonely place. You want to enjoy each day and yet you keep seeing how they fail and get saddened to know you will lose them eventually.
I'm so thrilled you've taken so many pictures of him....I need to start taking pictures again too of New Hope and others - while I do have them.
Thanks again for sharing hon - you do what you need to do for him and don't worry about what anyone on the forum might say. Meanwhile - I'm off to give my Cheerio boy a handful of cereal since its his feeding time again!

PS, Peg, I'm so glad New Hope is doing well, that's great news. Long may it continue.

Tracey and Peg, I can't help but saying that you're both :adorable: Your buns are both so lucky you spoil them rotten :bunnyhug:

Marietta

I have tears in my eyes reading through this thread. Flashy, I am so glad he is doing so well, like Peg said I know it's because of your care and love that is keeping him feeling good. I have only recently learned what it's like to have a terminally ill bunny, when I lost my Ben to cancer in February. It's a horrible thing to have to go through, but I think you are handling it reallywell and doing the right thing. We are all pulling for you and for Sweep. :pink iris: :grouphug

Tracey, your post has helped me so much. I am so pleased to hear that Sweep is living every day to the fullest.

It is your story with Sweep that is giving me hope for Pernod. I get so excited when she has a good eating day, and so down when she refuses to touch anything. Reading what you posted, I am so going to try and concentrate on the positive.

Hugs to you and Sweep

Jan

Sweep's bladder has given up. Tonight (at 6pm UK time, so in about one hour and forty mins)he will be starting the next part of his journey. He will be leaving his seventh Heaven and going on to Bunny Heaven.

As recently as this morning he had no problems, but by this afternoon he was soaked. He is still lively and has inhaled some dandelion leaves (about 4 minutes ago), he has chased the Dopeys senseless (through the run divide), he has had his last day relaxed in a big run, on the grass, sunbathing. I can't imagine a better way for him to go.

I'm gutted, but that is more to do with this being the moment I have been psyching myself up for for the last 6 weeks and 2 days. When he has gone on his travels I will be full of comfort knowing that his last weeks have been those of complete and utter joy.

Thank you all to those who replied to this thread, but mainly Polly, Marietta, and also Peg for her recent words about New Hope.

Sweep is going to be with his Sunshine, he's going to be free from pain, from his lump. He will be free.

When it comes to it, I hope that this thread does not have RIP edited into the title because he never rested in life, I doubt he will rest in death. 'deceased' is probably more fitting.

x

I just want to add, please don't be sad about this. Sweep has had 6 weeks of sheer happiness that he wouldn't have got otherwise.

Don't be sad, be glad he has had such happiness and is leaving on a high note.

This 25 mins. from now, I'll be thinking of Sweep and praying for a smooth transition around 19:00 our time. I know he had the best 1.5 month of his life, that it was more than even the vet expected and that it is, indeed, his time to go, happy, without pain and with a lively spirit. It is just so hard to accept that he won't be around (our physical world, at least) anymore.

I know how strong you and Sweep are and you'll get through this till the end. I send both of you my love, kiss little Sweep and wish him a nice trip to the Bridge.

Marietta

AWWW at least he went with one last brilliant day in the sun - and im sure everyone will agree he had one of the best mums ever!
Tracy you have always been here for me I will do the same for you ;)

He had a great life and his time at the rainbow bridge will be great as well.

I am so sorry Tracy that I missed you up-date on Sweep.

I am very sorry that he has declined so severely but I do admire your love and attention to him. We always say "he had a wonderful life" but in this case he had an attentive intelligent, and observant caring mom who has allowed him to have the "very best" of his last days.
I want you to know that in the midst of all that you have been dealing with that your empathic pm to me re. Babettemeant very much to me. You were able to step outside your own situation to help me (something I have been unable to do recently)
I'll say goodbye to Sweep but I sure don't feel sorry for him; he had a truly blessed life with you!

I guess Sweep is on his way to The Bridge now :(. I can't help but feel sad (sorry) but what a truly wonderful last few weeks he had - doing everything he enjoyed, with a mom and family that loved him. A very special bunny with a very special family.

God Bless, Sweep, have fun with Sunshine - digging as many holes as you like.

Jan

Thank you all very much for your comments and replies.

Sweep was held, stroked and talked to as he passed peacefully on his travels at 6.24pm tonight.

I don't feel sad as such, the most ovewhelming feeling is peace. I got it right, it was right and I know it was. He has had a terrific time. I've taken some videos of him today (the last one about half an hour before we left where he was devouring some dandelion leaves) and I can now look back and see his last day was full of life even though his body had given up.

Sweep is now free. He has had a terrific time, and has gone out on a high.

See you later Boy-O!

Latest posts

Back