Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiebunny07

Reaction score
My 6-month-old bunny just underwent debriding surgery on Monday because she's had extensive scabbing on her arms and breast area that just didn't seem to be falling off/healing. We think that it happened after her spay which was 2 weeks ago, she was laying in hay for a long period of time and I think it might have cut her. I've been bringing her to the vet every single day since Monday to replace bandages and check if she's healing. My vet has told me that she's seeing little to no improvement, and I'm going to have to keep bringing her in every day for another month. We've tried everything, from cleaning her up with saline, and now we're trying applying manuka honey on the wounds. I've been giving her meloxicam and Baytril every day too. She's eating, moving around, pooping normally.. but her wounds are STILL not healing and I don't know what to think. I have no idea what the future holds for my bunny, it has been really unclear. Is she going to be okay? I don't ever want to think about euthanization... I don't even know if it's going to get to that point. Please if anyone has any advice feel free to share?

Has bloodwork or other diagnostics been done? Has she been checked for auto immune issues or other systemic problems?
Hay should not be causing wounds no matter how long they sit in it. Newborn rabbits with no fur wriggle around in hay and dont get hurt.
Did the vet use a cardiac monitor on her during the spay?
Often those are little clips and they would be clipped to that exact area on the front, and the skin between the back leg and side of tummy on the back. If done wrong it could cause injury on an animal with sensitive skin.
Did she have matts there and they were shaved by the clinic or at home? Did the shave all the way up there for the spay?

I'm sorry I don't know about this, but there's a special book about rabbit skin diseases, maybe you could track down a copy: Skin Diseases of Rabbits: Esther van Praag, Amir Maurer, Tal Saarony: 9780557533077: Amazon.com: Books

I see you're in Canada and there must be some excellent exotic vets there. If not near you, ask your vet to consult one?

Don't give up. There is hope for your rabbit and you're looking after her as well as you can. Maybe just need a better diagnosis/treatment that will help.

Has bloodwork or other diagnostics been done? Has she been checked for auto immune issues or other systemic problems?
Hay should not be causing wounds no matter how long they sit in it. Newborn rabbits with no fur wriggle around in hay and dont get hurt.
Did the vet use a cardiac monitor on her during the spay?
Often those are little clips and they would be clipped to that exact area on the front, and the skin between the back leg and side of tummy on the back. If done wrong it could cause injury on an animal with sensitive skin.
Did she have matts there and they were shaved by the clinic or at home? Did the shave all the way up there for the spay?
So no bloodwork or other diagnostics have been done. I have no idea if clips were used, but I will ask tomorrow when I bring her in again. She did not have matts there, but they shaved the entire area at the clinic at the time of the spay.

Latest posts

Back