Death from old age at 11.5?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akibunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, but have joined because I have just lost my heart bunny, Chloe, at the age of 11.5. I am really traumatised by what happened and wonder if anyone here has experienced anything similar. I keep playing it over and over in my mind.

Chloe was a bonded rescue bunny and lived free roam in my house for 11.5 years. In that time she overcame stasis, two dental surgeries, and a mammary tumor (despite being spayed, which was meant to reduce her risk). I loved her so much and spent a lot of time with her.

Towards the end of her life, she was on Meloxicam twice daily to keep her arthritis pain under control. As she grew tireder and more frail, she often failed to make her litter tray. So I made sure I had puppy pads all over the floor of the bunny room (she was allowed in all rooms of the house, but towards the end just stayed in her own room.

The night before her decline was a Wednesday. I took food in for her and her bonded mate, and she was sound asleep in her room. (Both buns had unlimited access to water and hay, but Chloe had no incisors and always struggled with hay. In her senior years, I fed her a vet-approved mush of wet pellets, fibre supplement and a couple of berries) She didn't even stir as I was putting out their food, which was unusual. However, she got up and ate a small amount after a few hours. I got up in the night to check on her, and she was back at her bowl having a little bit more.

Thursday, I had run out of fibre supplement and my delivery was late, so I served her mush without it. She was very lethargic and ate a tiny, tiny amount and drank a little. Normally, I would go on high alert about stasis but as she had been slowing down over a period of weeks, I truly believed she was at death's door and so I didn't force feed her. I gave her pain meds that night, but did not expect her to make the next day.

To my amazement she was still here on Friday, although she seemed disoriented and confused. I had some more fibre supplement, but when I served her mush she only ate a small amount.

On Saturday, shockingly, she got a huge burst of energy out of nowhere and was sprinting up the corridor like she had not done for months, and was also running into a second room (again, something she hadn't done for months). I offered her sunflower seeds (her favorite) but she seemed confused about how to eat them. So I got out the syringe, and without even restraining her in a burrito, was able to give her several tablespoons of pellet mush, along with some drinking water. After she'd had this I gave her pain meds again. I had not expected her to rally like this and didn't know what was going on. I was so upset the vet was closed on the weekend and vowed I would take her in on Monday morning.

On Sunday, she took another few tablespoons of mush from my syringe but after this, seemed to lose her ability to swallow. I gave her Meloxicam again, and she went to sleep in her little bed box. When I came back after a few hours, she had her head propped up on its side, which I think was helping her to breathe. I so wished I could get her to the vet, but it was closed. I had to make the agonising decision about whether I should take her halfway across town to the emergency vet, which would distress her, or just let her stay in her warm bed with me and her little mate by her side. I chose to let her stay in her own bed, and later that evening she had five or six violent convulsions and passed away.

I am completely traumatised, as all I wanted was the most peaceful passing possible for her. She was my first bunny so I'm not sure I did things correctly. I'm horrified to think that perhaps I should have started force-feeding her when she got lethargic on the Wednesday, but I truly believed it was just her time and she was checking out. I did not expect this to continue for four days, and am just devastated. Of course I would have taken her to the vet to help her pass, but the vet was closed on the weekend, as I mentioned. And lastly, the huge energy rally on Saturday was out of nowhere and completely confusing. She had not done those things for at least six months.

I really don't know if this matches anyone else's experience with an elderly rabbit? I've spoken to my vet of course, and he didn't think it sounded like a typical stasis, but that there were other factors at play and that it was her time. I just don't know, and I feel so terrible to think that there are things I should have been doing for her but failed to do.

If anyone has any comments, good or bad, I am interested in your honest opinions as I am just heartbroken and trying to understand. Thank you for reading.

Sometimes they don't want to leave you so they hang on long past when they should--we are the same. I've taken care of some of our sweet babies way longer than their quality of life dictated, but I just can't let go--it hurts so much.We had one that almost made it to 19, a couple of 15's and we were lucky that they mostly went in their sleep--all we can do is care for and love them and hang onto all the good memories.

I think you made the right decisions. she definately tried her best to stay with you and her buddy long as possible, i think you did all the right things, i am so sorry for your loss. sending prayers your way!

You are an excellent bunny mom, and it sounds to me like you did everything you could to make her last days peaceful and loving. You didn’t do anything wrong.

I had a similar experience with my old momma bun last year. She'd been having old age health issues, but still had a good quality of life and was happy to eat and be with her bun family.
Then one day I found her on her side too weak to get up or move much. So I held her, sure she was about to pass. Hours later she was still with me, so I tried syringe feeding and surprisingly she started eating and gaining strength. Over the next couple of days she rallied and was doing really well, better than usual even. I started to think she was going to be just fine.

Then the next morning she was down and lethargic again. I tried syringe feeding again, but this time she wouldn't swallow and wasn't very responsive, which I knew meant she wasn't likely to recover this time and was close to the end. She passed soon after that.

I've seen those convulsions with many of my old rabbits at the end of their lives, and though it's absolutely awful to watch, in the instances were they have been unresponsive prior to the convulsions, I don't believe they are actually experiencing any pain, but that it's a normal automatic response of their body to their organs and systems shutting down.

All the behavior you describe falls in line with the experiences I've had with my old rabbits passing, so there's no reason to feel you made the wrong choice. I think that burst of energy towards the end, gives them one last really happy day for them (and you) to experience life before their final passing. You gave her a good life, and she was able to pass her final moments at home where she had been happy and loved.

Thanks so much for your kind replies, everyone. It is possible for an 11.5 year old just to pass from worn out old age, isn’t it? She did seem very frail and was losing weight… but her 11.5 year old mate is as solid as a tank and doesn’t even show signs of arthritis. It’s all so confusing, and the guilt I feel is horrendous.

That's what happened to my old rabbit too. She was losing weight and getting more frail. It's just something that happens with old age. Organs don't function as well as they need to, which in turn will lead to health issues and the decline of the body. It's normal with any living being. And like people, some stay healthy longer and live longer, and others don't. It's just the genetics you're born with. 11.5 is a good old age. My oldest was10.

I lost my previous heart bunny when she was twelve--a lionhead mix. She was a chubby girl and stayed that way until the last couple months. She was arthritic but got around well still and ate very good too. She really looked young for her age. However, she wasn't spayed when I adopted her at age two and uterine cancer is what took her. It took her fast, not really much warning. I could tell it was the end the night before because she would not leave her pen and get in her cage for nighttime rest. I got up a few times that night to check on her. When I woke the next morning, she was in bad shape and I was waiting for the vet's office to open so I could take her in. I pet her, talked to her, and then she started seizing. It was awful and that haunted me for years. I know she waited until morning to say one last good-bye.

So sorry for your loss, but you didn't do anything wrong. I know how painful it can be, and out of all the pets I've had...rabbits have stolen my heart the most. My next bunny was spayed when I adopted her so that's at least one heartache I can avoid going through again.

Thank you for sharing those last two stories. Chloe was the first bunny that I had for her whole lifetime and it helps me to hear other stories. More than I can say. Thank you.

I'm so sorry about your bunny. I cried when I read your post. I have an almost 12yo bunny on hospice due to a tooth abcess. It's on her jaw, so both doctors I saw advised against surgery at her age. So, now we wait for the inevitable, and I do my best to get food and water in her every day, and keep fighting right along with her.

My biggest fear is exactly what you went through. I can't imagine what that felt like. No matter how/when our pets die, it is the worst pain. But, we have to find comfort in knowing that THEY KNEW how much we loved them, and we did the best we knew how in the circumstances.

I always wonder "what would I do if I came home and Clara was in the process of crossing over. Let her go in a warm quiet room? HER room. Her comfort zone. OR, shove her in her carrier and drive her to the exotic vet thats 30min away? ...and honestly, I still don't know what I would do, or what's right or whats wrong. But I know I love her so much, and no matter what I decided in that moment is a decision made out of the most deepest extreme love. (I hope I can remember to tell myself this when it's our time).

Hi there! Just to let you know, the burst of energy before death is a normal part in the stages of dying. It is the same thing with humans. We usually call it "a surge of energy" and will usually happen 1-2 days before passing. It is completely normal, it can usually last minutes or hours, but letting you know that death is coming and is inevitable! You did all the right things! It can even happen with patients that have Alzheimers or psychiatric problems, and we call it "terminal lucidity" where they suddenly become lucid, conscious, and regain memory right before passing which unfortunately for us may give us hope that things will get better, when it's unfortunately not the case. I'm sorry for your loss, I know it is difficult but remind yourself that you did everything you knew you could do! The car ride of going to the vet would have probably added a lot of stress for both you and your bunny!

Hi everyone!
I´ve just read through this thread and quite frankly tears are roling down my cheeks. Thank you so very, very much akibunny for sharing and reaching out to us. I´m so very sorry for your loss Please let us know if there´s anything more we can do for you!
And thank you everyone for your beautiful and so loving and caring response. That´s exactely what makes rabbitsonline so special ❤! and my dear bunny Bianca and I are honored to be a part of this forum.

Sometimes they don't want to leave you so they hang on long past when they should

I´ve had a similar experience with my first bonny Nuser (I´m from Scandinavia so ´Nuser´ = Snoopy in the US (from the cartoon Peanuts).

I´d been gone for a few houres and he was all himself when I left. But when I came home he was laying on his side obiously in a treamendious pain. I rush to him and picked him up as gently as I could and 15 seconds later he was dead in my arms. To this day I´m so grateful and in awe of how he wated for me so I could be there with him to the very least.

Hi everyone!

I´ve just read through this thread and quite frankly tears are rolling down my cheeks. Thank you so very, very much akibunny for sharing and reaching out to us. I´m so very sorry for your loss 😪 Please let us know if there´s anything more we can do for you!

And thank you everyone for your beautiful and so loving and caring response. That´s exactely what makes rabbitsonline so special❤ ! and my dear bunny Bianca and I are honored to be a part of this forum.

Sometimes they don't want to leave you so they hang on long past when they should

I´ve had a similar experience with my first bonny Nuser (I´m from Scandinavia so ´Nuser´ = Snoopy in the US (from the cartoon Peanuts).

I´d been gone for a few hours and he was all himself when I left. But when I came home, he was laying on his side obviously in a tremendous pain. I rush to him and picked him up as gently as I could and 15 seconds later, he died in my arms. To this day I´m so grateful and in awe of how he waited for me so I could be there with him.

This thread is beneficial in a million ways. First, to express how much love we have for our companions.

Until one has loved an animal, ... including our precious buns and rabbits .... (you know the saying)

I send condolences and hugs to all who have experienced a loss or multiple losses. @Nancy McClelland and @JBun; in the past nearly two decades we have endured the losses of approx. 25 or thereabouts. Never easy, and it takes a chunk of our hearts no matter if they pass at home, in our arms, when we are away and unable to see them, or at the DVM clinic as a final, merciful, gentle PTS is done.

The Last Hurrah. Our vet employee mentioned this so the verification clarifies what we also went thru with our most recent PTS decisions.

Most recently, mid-February 2022. Our n/male arthritic, elder mini rex boy with kidney stones breaking apart and with declining BUN/CRE kidney values experienced a few nights of climbing up the stairs to hum/buzz and socialize with the middle-aged spayed female exercising on the other side of the separation gate. Melted my heart to watch this, giving me hope he might have a month or more with us.

Cherish each day, and know you dole out all the love they could ever hope for -- well-cared for and forever-loved.

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, but have joined because I have just lost my heart bunny, Chloe, at the age of 11.5. I am really traumatised by what happened and wonder if anyone here has experienced anything similar. I keep playing it over and over in my mind.

Chloe was a bonded rescue bunny and lived free roam in my house for 11.5 years. In that time she overcame stasis, two dental surgeries, and a mammary tumor (despite being spayed, which was meant to reduce her risk). I loved her so much and spent a lot of time with her.

Towards the end of her life, she was on Meloxicam twice daily to keep her arthritis pain under control. As she grew tireder and more frail, she often failed to make her litter tray. So I made sure I had puppy pads all over the floor of the bunny room (she was allowed in all rooms of the house, but towards the end just stayed in her own room.

The night before her decline was a Wednesday. I took food in for her and her bonded mate, and she was sound asleep in her room. (Both buns had unlimited access to water and hay, but Chloe had no incisors and always struggled with hay. In her senior years, I fed her a vet-approved mush of wet pellets, fibre supplement and a couple of berries) She didn't even stir as I was putting out their food, which was unusual. However, she got up and ate a small amount after a few hours. I got up in the night to check on her, and she was back at her bowl having a little bit more.

Thursday, I had run out of fibre supplement and my delivery was late, so I served her mush without it. She was very lethargic and ate a tiny, tiny amount and drank a little. Normally, I would go on high alert about stasis but as she had been slowing down over a period of weeks, I truly believed she was at death's door and so I didn't force feed her. I gave her pain meds that night, but did not expect her to make the next day.

To my amazement she was still here on Friday, although she seemed disoriented and confused. I had some more fibre supplement, but when I served her mush she only ate a small amount.

On Saturday, shockingly, she got a huge burst of energy out of nowhere and was sprinting up the corridor like she had not done for months, and was also running into a second room (again, something she hadn't done for months). I offered her sunflower seeds (her favorite) but she seemed confused about how to eat them. So I got out the syringe, and without even restraining her in a burrito, was able to give her several tablespoons of pellet mush, along with some drinking water. After she'd had this I gave her pain meds again. I had not expected her to rally like this and didn't know what was going on. I was so upset the vet was closed on the weekend and vowed I would take her in on Monday morning.

On Sunday, she took another few tablespoons of mush from my syringe but after this, seemed to lose her ability to swallow. I gave her Meloxicam again, and she went to sleep in her little bed box. When I came back after a few hours, she had her head propped up on its side, which I think was helping her to breathe. I so wished I could get her to the vet, but it was closed. I had to make the agonising decision about whether I should take her halfway across town to the emergency vet, which would distress her, or just let her stay in her warm bed with me and her little mate by her side. I chose to let her stay in her own bed, and later that evening she had five or six violent convulsions and passed away.

I am completely traumatised, as all I wanted was the most peaceful passing possible for her. She was my first bunny so I'm not sure I did things correctly. I'm horrified to think that perhaps I should have started force-feeding her when she got lethargic on the Wednesday, but I truly believed it was just her time and she was checking out. I did not expect this to continue for four days, and am just devastated. Of course I would have taken her to the vet to help her pass, but the vet was closed on the weekend, as I mentioned. And lastly, the huge energy rally on Saturday was out of nowhere and completely confusing. She had not done those things for at least six months.

I really don't know if this matches anyone else's experience with an elderly rabbit? I've spoken to my vet of course, and he didn't think it sounded like a typical stasis, but that there were other factors at play and that it was her time. I just don't know, and I feel so terrible to think that there are things I should have been doing for her but failed to do.

If anyone has any comments, good or bad, I am interested in your honest opinions as I am just heartbroken and trying to understand. Thank you for reading.
It sounds like you did everything right, honestly. You cared for her in an exemplary fashion and she lived a very long life for a bun and passed naturally in the comfort of home. You were attentive and responsive throughout. When animals get old they weaken and diminish over time, that's normal. Death is not an event but a process that can very easily take days. In reality, it can even take weeks, the decline is part of it. It honestly sounds like she had a textbook natural passing, there's nothing wrong with what happened to her.
As for how it happened, as animals are closing in on passing they may make sounds or movements and that's all a completely normal part of the process. As systems fail, they lose control of their bodies and their brain loses oxygen and nutrients and things can happen that are involuntary, like the thrashing around. I would say that the burst of energy you saw at the end is normal, too. It happens even in humans who are in the death decline. They can be unconscious for days, then one day suddenly be totally alert, talking, maybe eating, maybe even move around a bit, but only for a short time, then decline quickly and pass shortly after. It's called a 'rally' and totally within the parameters for normal dying process if it happens. Nobody is sure why it happens but it's a well known thing. She had her little rally and last hurrah at being a bunny, so even that was good, like an exclamation mark at the e d of a long life well-lived. All in all, she had a pretty textbook decline, and you helped her feel attended to and comfortable at every step, there's nothing to question. And regarding there being no vet around, that's pretty typical. In my house we say that if an animal is going to go, they'll go when the vet is closed. But animals are capable of taking themselves through the passage just fine, and they have their humans to comfort them through it and there's no need for the vet every time. It doesn't sound like she had a difficult time at all, especially since you took good care of her so I'd say you can feel really good about doing a good job with her.
I can say that if you've not had a lot of experience with the dying process it can feel traumatic, but it's a natural process like any other natural process. Birth could look equally traumatic if you didn't know there would be blood and things. I'm not telling you not to feel your feelings, I'm just hoping you'll come to an understanding of the process and realize that what happened to her is totally normal and that you can rest assured that you gave her a great life and great send-off.

Thank you all so much for the further replies. I appreciate such honest sharing. Thank you so much for crying with me.

I’m sorry I’ve taken three days to respond to the final posts here. I’m still getting the hang of the site and hadn’t realised they were there.

I so appreciate your good advice and wisdom when my very first post here was such a sad one. You are all wonderful, and your responses have helped me so much.

Condolences to your heart and that of her widow.
Know you did what you thought was best and the best is all we can do.

I had an ending with my last girl like you, except for I was at the vet, waiting in a room when she kicked out, which made me lift the top off and stuck my hand under her head as I strokes her with my other hand, tears flowing as my friend went to get the vet. When she came back I said did my bunny just die in my hand and she said she didn't know, she knew.

I was heartbroken because Peps was only 4 1/2. She was the most lovey girl and I was lost.
I brought her home for her widow and their feline to say their goodbyes and I then brought her to the crematorium.
Both her widow and their feline missed her very much for the first week, both laying at the box where Peps last went to hide.
After a year passed, I got my widow a new lady and he seemed to cheer up. Our feline also loves her. I certainly wasn't ready though.

I know Pepsipepper Pooper loved me Soo much and knew I was doing all I could to help her, but it was just her time for whatever reason (I didn't opt for necropsy because it wasn't going to bring her back).
It didn't stop me from thinking I could have done more ..even 4 years gone by now and I still beat myself up over the shoulda woulda's.
Be kind to yourself 💞

Condolences to your heart and that of her widow.
Know you did what you thought was best and the best is all we can do.

I had an ending with my last girl like you, except for I was at the vet, waiting in a room when she kicked out, which made me lift the top off and stuck my hand under her head as I strokes her with my other hand, tears flowing as my friend went to get the vet. When she came back I said did my bunny just die in my hand and she said she didn't know, she knew.

I was heartbroken because Peps was only 4 1/2. She was the most lovey girl and I was lost.
I brought her home for her widow and their feline to say their goodbyes and I then brought her to the crematorium.
Both her widow and their feline missed her very much for the first week, both laying at the box where Peps last went to hide.
After a year passed, I got my widow a new lady and he seemed to cheer up. Our feline also loves her. I certainly wasn't ready though.

I know Pepsipepper Pooper loved me Soo much and knew I was doing all I could to help her, but it was just her time for whatever reason (I didn't opt for necropsy because it wasn't going to bring her back).
It didn't stop me from thinking I could have done more ..even 4 years gone by now and I still beat myself up over the shoulda woulda's.
Be kind to yourself 💞
So sorry for my late response, Momma Luvbun. I’m sorry about Peps, too. Thanks so much for your kind thoughts, and just for understanding the guilt and sadness. I really appreciate it.❤️

Latest posts

Back