Deaf rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmi

Reaction score
Long story short, I believe my beloved Emmi is deaf… she doesn’t respond to ANY type of noise, bag crinkling, loud bangs, no reaction at all. She only responds when she sees me or I pet her to get her attention. When she has her back to me or I’m in a place she’s not she would usually come when I called her name but these last two months she hasn’t. I looked up about deaf rabbits and I know deafness is common in lops which is what emmi is.I guess what I’m wondering is how I tell for sure and any advice so I don’t scare her? I’m really having a hard time with this.

Maybe go to your vet. or see if you can teach her sign language??? I know some animals can be taught so maybe give it a try! Just my opinion. Hope that helps

Scaring them with noise wouldn't work with mine, I can drop a pile of pans and pots right beside them and they don't even flinch. Need to put up a fence when chopping wood.

Bag crinkling is on the right track, I always make the same noise (shaking the pail) or call them before giving them their pellets - considered a treat - or favorit veggies, they learn that pretty quick. If your rabbit doesn't turn her head or comes running after a week of doing this consequently, then yes, she might actually be hard of hearing.

Body language works pretty well anyway, and imo is more effective when it comes to telling them something they don't really want to do (versus getting a treat), like when I herd them home from the meadow.

Primary changes for a deaf rabbit, especially if yours startles easily, is to get your rabbits attention with calm movement in her line of sight so you essentially don't 'sneak' up on her and startle her. You can also try to see if your rabbit notices floor vibrations as an alternate method of getting her attention.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Special_needs_rabbits
If you've had her a while and you didn't notice this problem until the last 2 months, you may want to have a vet check done to make sure it's not from ear wax buildup or a more serious ear issue.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thinking back… she has really never responded to any noise I make. I will try the bag crinkling for a while and see how it goes.

Primary changes for a deaf rabbit, especially if yours startles easily, is to get your rabbits attention with calm movement in her line of sight so you essentially don't 'sneak' up on her and startle her. You can also try to see if your rabbit notices floor vibrations as an alternate method of getting her attention.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Special_needs_rabbits
If you've had her a while and you didn't notice this problem until the last 2 months, you may want to have a vet check done to make sure it's not from ear wax buildup or a more serious ear issue.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I have no way of getting her to a vet as of the moment (cars in the shop) so I will try the bag crinkling for a bit and then call.

My rabbits are not deaf, but I have target trained them. That is a type of training that I think would work well for deaf rabbits. I have a long stick that I attached a small rubber ball to the end. To get my rabbit's attention, I can just bang the ball end on the floor. Rabbits should be able to feel vibrations. When they see the target (ball), they run to it. Once they touch the target I give them a treat. If I hold the target in front of them, they will follow it. I use the target to put them in their cages. There is information on target training on YouTube.

As a matter of fact, Niomi is correct. Our oldd Lop Theodore was deaf, but he could feel vibrations like when the rabbit room door was opened--he'd look up and if we didn't have treats or food, he'd lay his head down and go back to sleep--also, used to tap on the cabinet top to wake him before I reached into his hutch 'cause he would nip if surprised.

I took emmi to the vet. They said no ear infection or earwax build up. They noticed how she didn’t respond to certain sounds and said she is likely deaf. I just don’t know how to deal with this information.

My rabbits are not deaf, but I have target trained them. That is a type of training that I think would work well for deaf rabbits. I have a long stick that I attached a small rubber ball to the end. To get my rabbit's attention, I can just bang the ball end on the floor. Rabbits should be able to feel vibrations. When they see the target (ball), they run to it. Once they touch the target I give them a treat. If I hold the target in front of them, they will follow it. I use the target to put them in their cages. There is information on target training on YouTube.
Do you know of any good videos on target training?

Do you know of any good videos on target training?

I can't seem to manage putting a link up, but you can find many rabbit training videos on YouTube. Most of these videos will tell you to use a clicker, but you don't really need one. Rabbits will work for treats without a clicker. Good luck.

My rabbit isn't deaf but since I've gotten him I have always tapped the floor with my fingers (in his line of sight) when I want him to come over. He recognizes the gesture even when I don't make a sound associated with it and will usually come (except when he feels mischievous and decides to binky in the opposite direction). Maybe you could try something like that with a treat at first and go from there.

I can't seem to manage putting a link up, but you can find many rabbit training videos on YouTube. Most of these videos will tell you to use a clicker, but you don't really need one. Rabbits will work for treats without a clicker. Good luck.
Thanks I will look some up.

My rabbit isn't deaf but since I've gotten him I have always tapped the floor with my fingers (in his line of sight) when I want him to come over. He recognizes the gesture even when I don't make a sound associated with it and will usually come (except when he feels mischievous and decides to binky in the opposite direction). Maybe you could try something like that with a treat at first and go from there.
Sounds like a good idea! Thanks

Latest posts

Back