dead netherland dwarf mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
Well, this morning my black otternetherland dwarf doe"Bonnie"was hopping aroundbusily, fixing up her nest. Today around 4:30 p.m. , she wasdead when I walked into the bunny room.

It's sad because she was very gentle...and I don't saythat about my rabbits if it isn't true. This was her first litter, shewas about 7 months old. I checked her nestbox and guess what? She'd left me a last present...3 little kits, all alive andwiggling.

My question is, there are 2 rabbits due in 2 days, aholland lop and an opal netherland dwarf....can I wait and try to placethe kits with one of them, or do I need to feed them tonight with KMR ?Of course I have the nipple kit and powdered replacer, just wasn'texpecting to use it so soon.

thanks in advance,

Kadish Tolesa :pink iris:

Oh no, so sorry!

All of our breeder and health mods just left, but hopefully we can dig up some info for you soon.

:bigtears:

Hi Kadish,

If you want to repost your concern in the Rabbitry section, I'm sure you'll get more responses... but until then...

Do the babies look as if they have fed yet? Are their tummiesround or look skinny? Can you see a "Milk Line" in theirstomachs indicating that they have fed? (Newborn's skin is rather thinso it's easy to see the milk in their tummies)

If it doesn't appear that they have fed, I would mix up some of thatKMR for them. Use EXTREME caution when feeding to not get anyin their nose & if some seeps out of their mouth while they'resuckling/lapping - be sure to stop & clear it away from theirnose.

I would then foster them to whichever doe kindles first... and thenmaybe give1 or 2to the other doe when she delivers- if the first doe has enough to handle with their own offspring.

Good Luck with them - I hope they make it!

~Sunshine

Hi, Sunshine , one of the kits has a faintly rounded tummy ; the other 2 are thinner.

I was just feeding them some KMR, I did re-look up asite that suggested feeding w/a Q-tip dipped in KMR so that the milk"seeps" out , rather than squirts toofast.One of them lapped at it eagerly, the other two only lapped after alittle went in their mouths--they didn't want to open their mouths !

I wiped their bottoms with a moistened baby washcloth, and they all pottied , nobody pooped, though.

Thanks for your advice, Oh, one more thing...we have a mini-rex doe who has a little older kit bunch.....could Ihave my hubby help hold her while I attach a kit on her nipples? Just a thought.

thanks again, Kadish Tolesa :)

Ummm... it depends - how old is your Mini Rex doe's litter?

If it's much older - by a week or more, I wouldn't suggest it becausethe doe is producing "Mature" milk and it may be too strong for thenewborn's virgin digestive system.

If the litter is younger than a week - then that would be a good ideaas the doe's milk is probably still transitioning to mature milk.

~Sunshine

Only if it makes you feel more comfortable ;)...otherwise, just tuck them in under/behind the existing litter &recover w/momma's fur... by the time it's nursing time again, they'llbe covered with her smell & it won't make a difference.

~Sunshine

Glad to see you got some good advice. Good luck with the kits!

RO Staff :clover:

Glad to see the forum's back ! :)

Bonnie's babies are doing well.....our holland lop,Natalie, gave birth to 1 kit 2 days later. So the netherland dwarfbabies moved from the mini-rex home to the holland lop home.

It was just in time as the mini-rex was feeding them,but the three netherland dwarfs were not thriving; they had skin thatstayed wrinkled when lightly pinched.Natalie is doing a good job and now she has 4 fat babies.

Thanks, Sunshine,

Kadish Tolesa :)

Here's one more pic of the babies and my other "baby".

K.T. :D

Natalie's babie is black and has the baggiest skin I'veever seen ; but is fat and almost as big as the nethie babies. I'm notsure what colors the larger two are....maybe chestnut ?

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
Here's one more pic of the babies and my other "baby".

K.T. :D

Natalie's babie is black and has the baggiest skin I'veever seen ; but is fat and almost as big as the nethie babies. I'm notsure what colors the larger two are....maybe chestnut ?
Yes, the other two look like Chestnuts ;)

Latest posts

Back