Day 35, Pulled Fur on day 33, No Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiffandTom

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. First time posting here.

My rabbit does not feel pregnant at all. I don't feel babies moving inside her. It's very possible she lost her litter during an altercation last Wed when she escaped out of her habitat and encountered another doe with her 7 week old babies. There was no visible injury but she had to jump quite high to get into her cage and there was a lot of fur around the habitat. It was stressful to say the least. She went on to bite another rabbit.

Day 31 came and went and she was pooping in her nesting box and showing no signs of being in labor. On day 33 she made a nest and lined it with fur. It's now day 35 (or possibly 36 as her breeding happened on two different days) and there are no kits and she doesn't feel pregnant to me. I thought about putting her with a buck but what if she was pregnant and she has dead babies in her? What will happen to those? Could it be a false pregnancy? We had a rabbit who had a false pregnancy but she pulled her fur on day 19.

This isn't her first litter, her previous owner said she had babies before and that she was a wonderful mother who even adopted kits from another doe who rejected them. I wondered if she could have eaten her kits but unless they were dead I don't think this proven mother would do that.

Sorry, that' a lot of info. Any advice would be very welcome! We have rearranged our habitat set up so no rabbits are able to escape or come near each other. We had no idea she was capable of getting out or getting in to the habitat next to hers. We won't make that mistake again.

She is eating, going potty, drinking, and loves being pet.

It could be a false pregnancy. Or she could have lost the babies. If she did lose them and they remain in her, the dead babies could result in a uterine infection or they could reabsorb or mummify. There's really no way to know for sure unless you had a vet do an ultrasound or xray.

Latest posts

Back