Dark pee spots all over?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what kind of vet you go to, but $800 for a monthly dental seems a little excessive. And it may not even be something that becomes a problem if you are able to manage it with her diet. Hay will help with tooth wear. The thicker more fiberous stems are good, as well as some chew sticks. If you can get some untreated apple, willow branches, etc, these can help with keeping those sharp points worn down. All rabbits can be prone to developing sharp points, some have more of a problem than others, but most rabbits it can be managed with a good diet that promotes even tooth wear.

If you do happen to have a dental done, it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to have to be a monthly thing, and you may want to look around for a different vet, that is still good with rabbits, but has more reasonable rates.

Well that sucks, I wonder how they even find that out I mean
They contact your vet and get the records when you first sign up, and you are under an obligation to disclose everything you know.

Yes, I didn't notice that fee before - are you sure she didn't mean $800 a year? It pays to shop around. I was quoted an amount for Cassie's spay and teeth filing and then when I got there he told me it'd be another 50%-75% on top of what was quoted. I've just rung a different vet and they're cheaper than the original quote was. Although I'm in a different country, I am only looking at under $300 for both a spay and a "tooth job". Wages aren't exactly low in Australia either, so I can't see why it would be so hugely expensive over there. Yes, maybe she meant $800 a year......

Maybe I did hear her wrong and she meant yearly. She said they would have them file teeth if it came to that up here in Davis California. My bun has never been a toy chewer but ill try to find apple branches since I never had those yet and I'll buy some new Timothy hay as opposed to orchard. I switched from Timothy for allergy problems but I think I can go back to Timothy, it's thicker for her chewing and better for her probably anyways.

My new bunnies are quite keen on the rosemary and I reckon it's probably good for them to chomp it because the stems are kind of woody, and the leaves are a bit tough. You should be able to grow that well in california, we've got the same climate.

Do you feed your rabbits carrots?

I remember when I first saw the dark pee I freaked out thinking something was wrong with my new bunny.

The colour is dark with an orange tinge and is terrible to get out of the carpet.
I suspected it might be the carrot so I stopped feeding and the colour went normal again. Feed him the carrot and the dark orange pee returned.

Hope that helps..

Do you feed your rabbits carrots?

I remember when I first saw the dark pee I freaked out thinking something was wrong with my new bunny.

The colour is dark with an orange tinge and is terrible to get out of the carpet.
I suspected it might be the carrot so I stopped feeding and the colour went normal again. Feed him the carrot and the dark orange pee returned.

Hope that helps..

No carrots in a long time, I just woke to her little sneezing tonight to find a booger on her forehead, I collected it In a plastic bag..it's not green but more clear cloudy color. I'm wondering if its allergies like she thinks or an irritation to something in the room or more, she recommended an antihistamine over the counter.. I think I'm going to have to call in again today and ask about the discharge I just found..

Edit- Much more sneezing still this morning on and off, I'm sleep deprived from yesterday and now tonight I think I have to find energy to bring her back in, I see no point in separating my bonded pair now because if she's got a infection he's already got it since they totally smush bodies together and sleep everyday. Wonder if they can culture what I bagged up to check it out, if it dries up is that a problem? I'm worried they won't be able to get any discharge if I brought her back in, it doesn't seem runny still.

It's odd all the sudden the problem is sneezing now instead of the urine issue, I wonder if she picked something up at the vets ? But that quick :(?

Last edited:
The stress of going to the vet could exacerbate a latent infection. It happens a lot with bunnies because their immune systems are so crappy. I would try to manage the teeth problems with a variety of hays and veggies. Even if you have to spend more to get fancy hay off the internet and more variety of greens at the store, it would be worth it. I also grow wheat grass for my Muffin to keep her teeth healthy. They eat it about once a week. The seeds are cheap, bought in bulk from the grocery store (red wheat berries or rye berries or something similar). If you have a lawn you trust in terms of chemicals, maybe fence off a small part to keep wild animals off it (they carry parasites, etc), and take her out there to chomp a bit weekly. Fresh grass is sometimes coarser on the teeth than dried grass (hay).

Latest posts

Back