Daphnee's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hannah wrote:
Gabby wrote:
....... rabbit running free.. Any tips from anyone on how to catch a rabbit who I guess has been roaming a neighborhood freely fo ay least 6 months???? not sure it will be possible, but I'll call back....

Don't Know if anyone replied yet, you could try getting a wire cage, or something like that, place it outside, put some pellets and hay in it,get the rabbit to go in it. Once the rabbit has gone in it a few times,you could attach a string to the door of the cage, and bring it into your house, watch and see what time the rabbit is at the cage. then pull the door shut when rabbit is in the cage. Worked for me:)Happy trying, Hannah
Good idea! I did something like that when I was akid. I used 2 laundry baskets.... and caught raccoon. My mom's face when she got home from work and there was a raccoon eating Campbell soup in a basket ..... on her kitchen counter!!!! PRICELESS! :p

(turned out the raccoon was a pet and we found his owner by some miracle!)

Hannah wrote:
Gabby wrote:
....... rabbit running free.. Any tips from anyone on how to catch a rabbit who I guess has been roaming a neighborhood freely fo ay least 6 months???? not sure it will be possible, but i'll call back....

Don't Know if anyone replied yet, you could try getting a wire cage, or something like that, place it outside, put some pellets and hay in it,get the rabbit to go in it. Once the rabbit has gone in it a few times,you could attach a string to the door of the cage, and bring it into your house, watch and see what time the rabbit is at the cage. then pull the door shut when rabbit is in the cage. Worked for me:)Happy trying, Hannah
i talked to the lady this afternoon, she says they tried setting up a have a heart trap, put food in it, and the bun wouldn't go near it, infact you can not get very close to him at all.. she say she's been ut there since at least May of 2004.. She's been putting out food for him. I told her if thy mannage to catch him, or if i can figure out a way to catch him well will give one another a call.

Thats such a sad story with a end that I'm sure will turn out great!!! Its nice to hear of people like you that will take a animal into their life like this. Every animal deserves a great life. I defendant agree on that all pet stores should give out a list of how to take good care of their rabbit. People just don't realise that owning a rabbit takes just as much care and time as a dog or cat!!!I've shared a similar experience, and I assure you that rabbits are soo tuff and seem to make it through surgery great. My little one healed up soo fast. I even find that she takes antibiotics great, except she gets soo mad at me everything! The only thing that had ever brought her spirit down was the pain killers. One night I thought she was dead, I had found her passed out with her head in her food bowl!... I wish you luck!

enslaved wrote:
Thats such a sad story with a end that I'm sure will turnout great!!! Its nice to hear of people like you that will take a animal into their life like this. Every animal deserves a great life. I defently agree on that all pet stores should give out a list of how to take good care of their rabbit. People just don't realise that owning a rabbit takes just as much care and time as a dog or cat!!! I've shared a similar experence, and I assure you that rabbits are soo tuff and seem to make it through surgery great. My little one healed up soo fast. I even find that she takes antibiotics great, except she gets soo mad at me everything! The only thing that had ever brough her spirit down was the pain killers. One night I thought she was dead, I had found her passed out with her head in her food bowl!... I wish youluck!
what was she on for pain meds? Her spirits are picking up some today, they were down before her surgery.. But her pain med she is on shouldn't bring her down, the pain med she was on for the first couple of days was a narcotic and extended use of that would have brought her down for sure...i've been with buns through surgery, my own and others, surgery other that routine...but it's still so sad to see them in their points of pain, :(

Bo B Bunny wrote:
You are truly a savior to these babies, Gabby! Isure hope Daphnee does really well with you. Is she truly peachy colored? she sounds to be very pretty!
Yes! Bless your heart!!

Gabby,

Whenever I hear of your kindness towards buns I get a warm fuzzy feeling. So many animals are looking for their "home" and I amso glad that some of them find there way to you. You are truly an amazing person, not only by taking care of these rabbits but for sharing your stories with us as well. You give me hope that someday, somehow, all animals will have a loving home to live in. When I have finished college it is my goal to buy a piece of land and open a rescue organization so that I too can take in all those animals that need me. Thanks for the inspiration.

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
Gabby,

Whenever I hear of your kindness towards buns I get a warm fuzzy feeling. So many animals are looking for their "home" and I amso glad that some of them find there way to you. You are truly an amazing person, not only by taking care of these rabbits but for sharing your stories with us as well. You give me hope that someday, somehow, all animals will have a loving home to live in. When I have finished college it is my goal to buy a piece of land and open a rescue organization so that I too can take in all those animals that need me. Thanks for the inspiration.

Fergi's mom
that is extremely touching....and the best to you in finishing school, finding that ideal peice of property and taking in the animals that will need you..my goals now are towards providing them with a far better living space that my new house will provide, the"bunny's room" wont be interrupted by the laundry area or the boiler area like it is now, and is devided up into sections because of this.they will have one nice huge area that will be "blank" and I can decided how to design it to fit our lives... I had hoped to have an area where i could place a shower unit to wash their stuff, they will have their own sink,.. but i'm thinking now of buying a steamer to clean those difficult things that need cleaning in winter, and in summer having the added bonus of taking things outside and power washing the heck out of them.. I know you have time so things to consider when you do create your rescue.

My little one had a abcess, it was on her back.She was on pain med for about a week.So she had a pretty big surgery as well. Shes doing a lot better though!

Thanks for the tips, I have been researching this kind of thing for awhile now but for warned is for armed. The more preperation I have the more successful I will be. I can't wait for you to be all moved into your new house. You must be super excited. The room you are planning sounds so nice, those bunnies are gonna be living it up! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and don't be surprised if in a years time I am asking for a ton more tips! I am lucky that I am friends with the woman who does the coordinating for the Park Point Bunnies rescue and altering program, that is a project that I intend to start helping with more now that I am the president of the honor society I have some clout to throw around! LOL! I am sure that every one in the club would be happy to help out with this problem we have. If you missed my post on these bunnies a long time ago someone dropped off a pair of bunnies on a "island" connected to my hometown by an ariel lift bridge. Needless to say in the past nine years they have effectively populated the whole island as there are no natural predators to them there. They need help in catching and neutering the males to help stem the population explosion. It's so sad, I drive down there and you see hundreds of little bunnies that look just like yours sitting neglected and dirty under trees. So anyways this will help me get a feel for organizing something on a larger scale.

Good luck with Daphnee, I hope she makes a full recovery and lives a happy life with you from now on.

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I have been researching this kind of thing for awhile now but for warned is for armed. The more preperation I have the more successful I will be. I can't wait for you to be all moved into your new house. You must be super excited. The room you are planning sounds so nice, those bunnies are gonna be living it up! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and don't be suprised if in a years time I am asking for a ton more tips! I am lucky that I am friends with the woman who does the coordinating for the Park Point Bunnies rescue and altering program, that is a project that I intend to start helping with more now that I am the president of the honor society I have some clout to throw around! LOL! I am sure that everyone in the club would be happy to help out with this problem we have. If you missed my post on these bunnies a long time ago someone dropped off a pair of bunnies on a "island" connected to my hometown by an ariel lift bridge. Needless to say in the past nine years they have effectivly populated the whole island as there are no natural predators to them there. They need help in catching and neutering the males to help stem the population explosion. It's so sad, I drive down there and you see hundreds of little bunnies that look just like yours sitting neglected and dirty under trees. So anyways this will help me get a feel for organizing something on a larger scale.

Good luck with Daphnee, I hope she makes a full recovery and lives a happy life with you from now on.

Fergi's mom
oh wow the poor dears :( I mention things to think about making care and cleaning easier and faster, because the less time you have to spend on cleaning, the more time and energy you can devote to the buns... i think i found a steam cleaner I want...I am happy to share and hear of any info that helps in the care of large groups of indoor buns.. paws crossed everything goes well with your plans..

So tips on catching a free roaming wild acting domestic rabbit? Course tonight will be the coldest night he is free roaming.. hope the weather doesn't do him in it's in the negitive numbers...

So glad you took her home to live with you, she sure will appreciate it too! I really believe animals know when people care about them. She is very lucky you came into her life, and her into yours. Good luck and keep us updated

Poor Daphne. I'm sure she'll recover with you :). What a diffrence knowing how to take care of a bunny and not knowing how to take care of a bunny can make. Good Job for 'rescuing' her from those bad people :).

I hope they catch mr. bunny-on-the-loose, Gabby! He surely needs to be looked after.

Nepo, you are definitely right. Along with that, caring about them to take care of them right..... some people just don't care!

I sure hope we find a farm and I have a nice little space for some rescues :) I would love to give a bunny a loving home who hasn't had one.

ariel wrote:
So glad you took her home to live with you, she sure will appreciate it too! I really believe animals know when people care about them. She isv ery lucky you came into her life, and her into yours. Good luck and keep us updated
i think she will do well. she's starting to show a lot of nerve:?Hubby says she is being very bold with Jennydog.. jenny is a pest....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hope they catch mr. bunny-on-the-loose, Gabby!He surely needs to be looked after.

Nepo, you are definitely right. Along with that, caring about them to take care of them right..... some people just don't care!

I sure hope we find a farm and I have a nice little space for some rescues :) I would love to give a bunny a loving home who hasn't had one.
i hope so too...but one thing for sure, he's very indapendant...I'm picturing a feisty bun once caught

*nepo* wrote:
Poor Daphne. I'm sure she'll recover with you :). What a diffrence knowing how to take care of a bunny and not knowing how to take care of a bunny can make. Good Job for 'rescuing' her from those bad people :).
thanks,i 'll be sure to keep every bunny updated on he progress.. it seems to change day to day hour to hour

Gabby, you're an angel! Poor little Daphnee! She must have had an awful time but she's truely found the best home now! I'm glad she's been so fortunate to find you.

Good luck catching the other rabbit, it sounds like a challenge! :)

Ang xx

I am just catching up with this post, Oh Gabby, what a sad start the Daphnee has had, and she is such a sweetheart. I am sooo glad that it is you that have her as I know she will have the best of love and help that a bunny can have. It seems like fate that she has become so close to Promise after losing Crescent. I admire you (and your husband ) so much for all you do for the bunnies.Hope everything continues to go well- Jan

Delphinum wrote:
Gabby, you're an angel! Poor little Daphnee! She must have had an awful time but she's truely found the best home now! I'm glad she's been so fortunate to find you.

Good luck catching the other rabbit, it sounds like a challenge! :)

Ang xx
I have an angel ;)Maybe she helps

LuvaBun wrote:
I am just catching up with this post, Oh Gabby, what a sad start the Daphnee has had, and she is such a sweetheart. I am sooo glad that itis you that have her as I know she will have the best of love and help that a bunny can have. It seems like fate that she has become so close to Promise after losing Crescent. I admire you (and your husband ) so much for all you do for the bunnies. Hope everything continues to go well- Jan
One my friends tells me that maybe certain buns "leave" when they do, because they know others are on their way.. would that be a kinda fate thing? i don't know

Latest posts

Back