Daphnee's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

Reaction score
Daphnee's story starts 6 years ago, while I'm not familiar with the tale, I have a vague idea of ideas. I understand she belonged to a young girl/lady, who then needed to rehome her. At what age she was rehomed I have no idea.. The new people are a daughter mother and father. As is my understanding.. The mother is in the hospital for reasons that were blurry to me, but very unfavorable outcome is expected from what I gather. Daphnee is now 6 years old...

Ireceived a phone call Saturday Jan 8th, from a lady who lives a good hour away from the clinic I work at, but she brings her rabbits to us.

From what I understand, (I live in Ma) she was contacted by a girl who works at a clinic in RI, now I am not sure if this girl ever metDaphnee, or just heard of her, it is quite unclear to me now. I was under the impression she knew her, but at any rate, i was given the girl's number.I called her andin turn she told me about Daphnee, said she was 6 years old and litter trained, and a french lop. (I'm picturing 12 to 15 lbs at least ok, I have space for that).

So i get a call from the people who are transporting Daphnee, we make plans to meet just over the border of RI at a mall. They tell me she's at least 12 lbs, that she was spayed when she was young, she is healthy, litter box trained and peach color.

Tuesday Jan 11, I get lost on my way there *red faced was suposed to be a straight shot.. darn construction* At any rate, an hour lateI meet up with them, first thingI notice is left eye is a bit weapy but they want to get her in my car and get on their way, ratherfrom impatience from waiting for me, or just wanting to get rid of her as fast as possible i don't know.

At any rate, it is now shortly after 11am and I have an hour dive back and I still have to be at work for 1pm. Thankfully, the drive home is uneventful. I rush home, change my clothes, and then do a quick exam of Daphnee in my car. First thing I notice taking her out of her cardboard carrieris one side her face is bigger than the other (now that i see her face on). It's the side with the weepy eye. Ok that makes sense, she also feels boney, and i look in her mouth, nightmare city. She also has a lump on her chest...

So off to work her and I go. Where I check her out a little better on a table. Defenitelyan abscess in her cheek, teeth need cutting and filing, and she has a cyst in her mammary gland...

The vets say the cysts like that are almost always benign, but that her surgery on Saturday will be long enough w/o checking that..

So Daphnee lives at work from the 11 to the 15th.. She is started on antibiotics a couple days prior to surgery.

Saturday the15th, she goes under the knife, which was a very long surgery. They remove the abcess, stuff the pocket with penG, and cut and file teeth. May sound easy, but she was under for a good hour or more. We are leaving the cyst alone unless it chages or causes her problems..

Ihold her while she is waking up. Now truthfully, I tried to be distant with her in the days she was waiting for surgery, becauseI didn't wanna get attached to a bun that may possnot make it on the surgery table or if we found something so horrible, like the infection infected far more of her face than we could see.

So while I'm holding her I can feel just how bony she is. Oh i forgot to mention she is a mini lop not a french, that was the second thing i noticed when i firstsaw her. She is very malnourished, the stuff they had given to me whenI took her was a horrible feed mix, and i don't believe she had ever seen hay in her life.

She was started on good food on Tuesday, good quality pellets and hay, big diet change right there. On taking her home saturday night, she didn't eat much, but sunday she wolfed down her bowl of pellets and oats. She's drinking very well and starting to poop better/ She had sme NASTY poos the first few days. D

id I forget anything? Pictures coming soon...

this is daphnee's lump on Tuesday Jan 11th

sface.jpg

Oh dear :( I hate that people are so stupid that they don't take care of the bunnies properly!

I had no clue when I got Bo, but I looked..... I found what ever information I could and finally found the House Rabbit Society website.

I swear, pet shops should be required to hand out information on care sheets with each animal. I also think private adoptions should be handled the same (I know there is no way to regulate it :() I just feel so bad for the bunnies :(

You are truly a savior to these babies, Gabby! I sure hope Daphnee does really well with you. Is she truly peachy colored? she sounds to be very pretty!

Awwww she is a pretty girl. Such a sad story and they told you she was healthy. maybe they wanted to take off so fast cause they knew she wasnt. I hope she makes a full recovery. Its a good thing you have her now.

Cristy

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh dear :( I hate that people are so stupid thatthey don't take care of the bunnies properly!

I had no clue when I got Bo, but I looked..... I found whateverinformation I could and finally found the House Rabbit Societywebsite.

I swear, petshops should be required to hand out information on caresheets with each animal. I also think private adoptionsshould be handled the same (I know there is no way to regulate it :() I just feel so bad for the bunnies :(

You are truly a savior to these babies, Gabby! I sure hopeDaphnee does really well with you. Is she truly peachycolored? she sounds to be very pretty!
Bo dear look up photos ;)

Thank GOD she has you, Gabby!

She's such a pretty girl! I know how upset you were to see her. Shame on them for not even giving you a clue as to whatwas going on. She's a story of great strength as it is to have her survive such a procedure at her age and with all the stresses of a new environment.

That poor Angel. She's finally Home though. Bless your heart for taking such good care of her.

Thank you for sharing that story.

-Carolyn

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Awwww she is a pretty girl. Such a sad story and they told you she was healthy. maybe they wanted to take off so fast cause they knew she wasnt. I hope she makes a full recovery. Its a good thing you have her now.

Cristy
they kept stressing to me she was "very old 6 years old" like that was some big deciding factor... I said so.. i have an 11 yr old..all the well wishes for a speedy recover i hope she help her as the power of thoughts/prayers seem to be extremely powerful.thank you

LOL! I was replying when you put those up!

Oh, Gabby she's gorgeous! I love her color!

I can't wait to see her all healed up from surgery. :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LOL! I was replying when you put those up!

Oh, Gabby she's gorgeous! I love her color!

I can't wait to see her all healed up from surgery. :)
and at a normal weight, i feel like i could break her right now as boney as she is, it's doesn't so up as well looking at her, but if you could feel her you'd be outraged she ws so skinny. and it can't be from the horrid teeth as she was eating great the first few days i had her before her surgery.

So glad you didn't let them talk you out of getting that lump removed. Poor dear probably feels 20 lbs.lighter without that baseball on her head.

You'll fatten her and love her right up. Little does she know, her life has just begun.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Thank GOD she has you, Gabby!

She's such a pretty girl! I know how upset you were to see her. Shame on them for not even giving you a clue as to what was going on. She's a story of great strength as it is to have her survive such a procedure at her age and with all the stresses of a new environment.
That poor Angel. She's finally Home though. Bless your heart for taking such good care of her.
Thank you for sharing that story.

-Carolyn
she is a pretty girl, and will be prettier yet as she becomes the rabbit she should have been to start with. She doesn't mind the dogs, the first day she his from them, but today when they get to nosey she stomps her feet at them. infarct Promise loves her and lays next to her as she did Crescent. Daphnee is her new buddy.And Daphnee seems to like her so all is well there. now I must return a call about a black rabbit running free.. Any tips from anyone on how to catch a rabbit who I guess has been roaming a neighborhood freely fo ay least 6 months???? not sure it will be possible, but i'll call back....I ell you when it rains it pours.. I loose 2 and i get a call about 2,how does that work?

I think the girl needs a few extra oats for awhile! that should help fatten her up! I can see how she's thin. I am horrified she was so ill :(

Are her teeth aligned properly? Was she just not getting hay and other things that would help her keep them filed down?

Her ears are gorgeous! I wish I could give her ear rubs and a treat :)

Carolyn wrote:
So glad you didn't let them talk you out of getting that lump removed. Poor dear probably feels 20 lbs. lighter without that baseball on her head.

You'll fatten her and love her right up. Little does she know, her life has just begun.

-Carolyn
They never tried to talk me out of removing her face lump, that was a do or die surgery, we are not removing her cyst on her chest, wouldn't have been possible on Saturday anyways.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think the girl needs a few extra oats for awhile! that should help fatten her up! I can see how she's thin. I am horrified she was so ill :(

Are her teeth aligned properly? Was she just not getting hay and other things that would help her keep them filed down?

Her ears are gorgeous! I wish I could give her ear rubs and a treat :)
I don't believe she had ever seen hay before in her life...she had a hanging toy in her cage, but not really in a convient place to chew on it was short and hung from the center of the cage... my guys sem to prefur a chew toy be against the a "wall" so they can push it against something while chewing.. and she is getting oats galore(within reason)and she LOVES them once she tried them, took her a few hours to decide they were ok to try LOL She does have beautiful ears though, I'll give her some ear rubs from you, and when her gut has adjusted a lovely treat ;)

Isn't it funny they have to have the "new" food around for a bit before deciding it's actually ok to eat it? lol.

I'm glad she likes the oats. They are good for her (mild for the tummy that's getting used to real bunny food!) I feel so bad for her. She's such a sweet girl I can tell!

I also think it's wonderful that Promise loves her and is finding a new house companion in her.

You were needed to save this bunny, that's why things happen the way they do.

As for the free roaming bunny, you could try a hav a heart coon trap? I don't know if they are safe for bunnies or not. I think if you hold a banana out, he'd probably jump for you! LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Isn't it funny they have to have the "new" food around for a bit before deciding it's actually ok to eat it? lol.

I'm glad she likes the oats. They are good for her (mild forthe tummy that's getting used to real bunny food!) I feel so bad for her. She's such a sweet girl I can tell!

I also think it's wonderful that Promise loves her and is finding a new house companion in her.

You were needed to save this bunny, that's why things happen the way they do.

As for the free roaming bunny, you could try a hav a heart coon trap? Idon't know if they are safe for bunnies or not. I think if you hold a banana out, he'd probably jump for you! LOL!
i think one the other girls at work still has the trap to catch a cat in her area.... we shall see

Gabby, are you known as "the bunny lady" in your area? We had a lady who saved cats for a long time and she also would care for cats if you wanted her to board them while you were out of town. We called her "the cat lady" ...... We also had one of the "strange" cat ladies in our neighborhood LOL! You know the ones; 50 cats running all over and she's looking like a witch more and more each day? LOL!

Oh my, I am SO glad that you have her now, Gabby.That is just awful what they let happen to that poor girl. Please keep us very up to date on this, I'm sure day by day things are going to change for her big time, for the better of course.

That poor bun bun.

Latest posts

Back