Dandruff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys
Haru’s nape looks flaky, I know that mites look like flakes but this is her skin flaking
She’s not really itching or anything
I noticed a few weeks ago that she had thin hair in that area (thinner than usual)
But I ignored it thinking it was because she was shedding
Well.. she isn’t anymore and now she has a flaky bald spot that is slightly red

Attachments

• BA76A7AB-826B-49D3-AE77-AA27E39CF4F7.jpeg
    BA76A7AB-826B-49D3-AE77-AA27E39CF4F7.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 0
The mites don't look like flakes, it's that the mites cause the rabbits skin to become flaky and dandruffy. So if your bun is starting to have dandruff at the nape of the neck, it very well could be fur mites. If you are barely seeing any flakes, it could be dry skin. You can wait and see if it continues to worsen(but don't let it get too bad), or go to your rabbit vet now and have them do a skin scrape to check for mites. Though the skin scrape can sometimes not show the mites, when a rabbit still does have fur mites.

Fur mites is treated with Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) or ivermectin(oral, topical, or injectable). If you can get Revolution(selamectin) there, I would use that. It's the easiest and usually takes only one topical spot on application. Ivermectin takes at least 3 treatments, two weeks apart each.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites

Latest posts

Back