Dandelion flowers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
I was wondering if dandelion flowers are okay for a rabbit to eat? And is it true that rabbits will eat what is poisonous? Thanks for the help!

Dandelions are often a favorite for rabbits! Just ensure that that they have not been sprayed with anything. Also, if it is new to your rabbit, go slowly (small amounts) with introductions just as you would for any new type of green.

Domestic rabbits have lost their ability to know what plants are poisonous. They may certainly eat a toxic plant as easily as they would chow down on a candy bar. 😱

Okay, thanks, should I give them to him as a treat?

Dandelions are our bunnies' favorite food this time of year. I know of a couple of patches where no herbicides are sprayed and the flowers are huge. Best of all, they grow thick and tall; so, harvesting them is easy. :) Appetizer_6612.jpg

Dandelions fill up almost half of my buns' vegetable consumption from roughly may to october, the other almost half being "ground elder" plant. We have them in plenty and more than a pair could consume, i've even dried a bunch of these along with other garden greens into a treat hay type thing.

It's worth remembering that while they're excellent food,if not contaminated,theey are quite high in calcium and are a diuretic,so very large amounts could lead to 'stones' and excessive urination.Moderation in all things,as has been pointed out.

Isn't that virus for bunny spreading in the US? The weeds are fine though. Right?

Dandelions fill up almost half of my buns' vegetable consumption from roughly may to october, the other almost half being "ground elder" plant. We have them in plenty and more than a pair could consume, i've even dried a bunch of these along with other garden greens into a treat hay type thing.
Could you tell us how you dry them.

Could you tell us how you dry them.
I posted my process somewhere in this forum but i can't seem to find it anymore. So here's a short summary:

Gather the plant material, make sure it's not moist from rain
Leave out to dry in the sun for a bit for speedier process (if possible)
Set up a bunch of 5*5cm grids as shelves (or any smaller grid mesh) and load them with greens
Flip and mix the greens twice a day or more at random
The room is preferrably warm and a bit dryer, getting natural sunlight from the window
Dry until a) greens are dry and crunchy b) rabbits reach up and eat everything
Store in breathable bags or boxes

Latest posts

Back