Daisy Mae Needs Your Prayers (Resolved!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
My poor Daisy Mae tends to have a dirty bum at times. I clean very gently for her about once a week.

I did notice that she tended to be a bit red in that area. A little chapped i'd say. Last evening it looked worse to me so I went out to get some Corn Starch. I put a bit on her. She wasn't eating either i did give her 2 doses of Ovol not realising just what was going on.

I woke at 4, so i went in to check on her, it looked like she pee'd on herself, her bum was very wet and stained. i took a kleenex to pat her dry and noticed a fair amount of blood on it. I kept dabbing the area their was more blood.

I'm hoping I can get her into the VET asap.

And yes she has been spayed.

Please say some prayers for her.

Susan

:pray::pray:

Ohh poor bunny.:( I'll keep her in my prayers and let us know what happens!

Just got back from the Vets. Daisy had to have butt shaved because it was such a mess, she tried to wash it too but it was too bad. She also has a Poodle tail with the little ball on it (i wil have to get a picture of it).

The Vet said it was a Bladder infection. she thinks 2 weeks of antibiotics should clear it up.

Now i have to get her to eat, she nibbled a bit of carrots.

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers greatly appreciated

Susan & Daisy Mae

I'm glad you were able to find out what it was.

My first guess would have been UTI.
I had 2 buns with the same symptoms and both had UTI.
A round of antibiotics cleared it up in both cases.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Ummmmmm.....are craisins good for a UTI? :biggrin:

Poor Daisy Mae. I hope that she gets better soon.

FYI: cranberries are good for UTI's. They help prevent UTI and are good for rabbits. You can get fresh ones at the grocery store and they are in season right now.

You can also buy hay at the petstore which has cranberries in it and feed them to your bunny.

Thanks everyone. OMG does she smell bad though. In 13 years of having rabbits this is the worst i have ever smelt any of them.

OMG her bum is so red, I was holding her upside down just to check down there, it looks very painful. I actually blew on her bum and i think it helped sooth it a bit. It's Baytril she put her on. is their anything i need to do for her? Actually she prescribed Novo-trimel, but i couldn't get it anywhere supposidly a shortage.

Is their anything I can put on her bum, like i said it's so red. I wonder about a little cornstarch or would that just make it worse when she pees?

I do think some Critical Care is due very soon, very few poos but then she hasn't eaten much in 24 hours.

Going to offer her some craisins.

Susan:sickbunny:

I have heard of using hemorrhoid cream or bag balm for urine scald. Poor girl. Hope she gets better soon!

So i ended up getting her the Batril pills as every pharmacy i went to didn't have any of the Novo-trimel(liquid). On backorder. What a pain as I have to crush it, I put it in apple sauce, forget that, next time i'm putting it in orange juice.

She has this thick yellowish colour discharge coming out of her private area. I had to pat the area with warm water as she is still getting pee on the area. It looks so so sore.

What happens if she licks the Bag Balm?

It's been a while since i have given any rabbit Critical Care. How often do i give it? Unfortunately I'm gone fron 7 am don't get home till about 6. Hopefully she will have started to eat by then. I gave her some about 1/2 hour ago, she wore quite a bit of it. Boy i'm envious of people who say their bunnies eat it on their own.

Thanks again for all the prayers. She still needs them.

Susan:pray:

I am glad to hear that Daisy mae will be fine after all! I was thinking maybe baby penaten cream for diaper rash may work, but id research it first as i am no expert. Give daisy a bunny nudge for me! and heres to a speedy recovery for Daisy and less stress for mommy!

-sara and Benji;);)

Bag balm is awesome stuff. Won't hurt her at all if she licks it.
Apply after she's clean and dry.

I would go with compresses, too.
If it were one of mine.... I would try warm compresses of diluted chamomile tea.
Chamomile has some good soothing and antibiotic properties.

A dusting of cornstarch wouldn't hurt after she's dry and clean.
Not sure if I'd do both Bag Balm and cornstarch.
One or the other IMO.

Poor bunny :(

Keeping her hydrated is as important as getting her to eat.
Is she drinking? She needs extra fluids to help flush out her system.

I might try giving some cranberry juice....diluted....maybe in her drinking water. Make sure you have plain water for her to drink, too.
A bowl or bottle of each.

Latest posts

Back