Daily Critical Care for bunny with reoccuring stasis issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmaple

Reaction score
Hello!

My bunny Maple first had GI stasis at the end of July. After recovering, his health was back to normal. Over the past month, he's had 3-4 episodes where he's stopped eating and acted very lethargic for a few hours at a time. I've taken him to the vet twice with little answers as to why it keeps happening. The first vet said his stomach was distended, but in a gassy rather than stasis way. His last vet visit was a week and a half ago, and he's been healthy and happy since. I've cut out his pellets completely, feeding him lots of hay, fresh veggies twice a day, and I've increased his water intake by syringe feeding him. I also give him a small amount of Critical Care every night.

I'm wondering if there are any downsides to feeding him Critical Care daily. Is it something I should ween him off of, or would it be beneficial to continue in hopes of preventing another episode?

What is your bunny's age. What kind of hay are you feeding? And could you describe a typical day of the veggies you feed?

I'm not sure of his exact age as I found him roaming around by himself outside. After adopting him, the vets said he was 4 months so I'd guess he's ~year and a half now. He eats Oxbow timothy hay. For veggies he usually gets a mix of romaine or green leaf lettuce, parsley, and cilantro.

Jenny (JBun) likely will chime in with her words of wisdom, but one thing I would suggest would be to try feeding just one type only of each of those greens for a week or so. Do that with each one separately to see if perhaps one particular green is not agreeing with him.

The greens you are feeding are typically well-tolerated, but each rabbit is unique. Maybe one of those is the culprit.

It seems like it would be better (and easier) to find the cause of the recurring GI stress rather than constantly having to use the Critical Care.

Latest posts

Back