Daenerys's Bunny Blog, Reptile House

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the fact that they need so much exercise is really difficult for me because I am the only one in my house who is willing care for them (properly...my sister likes playing with them but she's the type who wont stop them from chewing on my stuff or will let the dogs in with them, etc) and since I have to work and keep up with my brother and sister while my parents are at work and we're going on a 2 week long vacation and everything, I just feel that they aren't getting the best care possible. And when I go back to Raleigh I will have school, my fiance has work, and we have all of our reptiles to take care of on top of the bunnies. I rather prefer my reptiles to the bunnies if you can believe it, so when it comes down to it its the buns who have to go...plus they require SO much cleaning because they smell, they poo EVERYWHERE. Tthey used to be litter trained, I guess because they're unfixed thats why they aren't anymore. And speaking of being unfixed, I just don't think that I really need the added vet bills to get them fixed. Its not that I can't afford it, I can, I just don't feel that I really should put my money towards that rather than on other important things like food and rent and college textbooks. I'd still be able to afford those things with the vet bills, but I'd just rather not...I've got to start thinking about the future and saving money. Bunnies cost like 3 times as much as my reptiles do.

And tbh Basil, my first bunny, was an impulse buy. I love them both dearly, but I really just don't think they're the best match for me. :(

So sorry you're thinking of rehoming the bunnies. Have you made any decisions about them yet?

The only thing I would say is that I think fixing them does make a difference in things like litter box habits. In general I think they make a lot better pets after they are fixed. And I would't rehome a bunny that wasn't fixed first unless I knew for sure that the person I was giving them too was going to fix them, or at least not breed them, especially if they are from a pet store or have an unknown past.

Maybe you could post them in the rescue section if you do decide to rehome them, and see if anyone in the forum could take them. Even if they live far away, maybe a transport could be arranged or something. Your bunnies are adorable! If Basil was a girl I'd have a hard time resisting him as a possible friend for Barnaby. But I don't think Barnaby would like another boy around.

You're ring is so pretty!! :) I don't know why but I missed that post when you first posted it.

Turns out Genevieve is actually a boy.....oy vey! >.<

I am definitely getting rid of the buns in about a month, but sorry I really can't afford to fix them first. I am quitting my job at the end of next month so I can officially move to Raleigh and we just wont have the funds with rent, security deposits, pet fees to be able to have my dog, and everything else going on. Just not going to happen right now. I also don't want to adopt them out because I really need to get some money. I'm selling them $50 each with cage...

I'm saddened that you are 'getting rid' of your bunnies and selling them. It's better they go to someone that wants them and can afford them though. So I understand why you need to. It's a shame you wont try re-homing them to someone here on RO. I hope you screen thoroughly and be cautious if you use any sites like Craigslist.

Good luck.

Money is tight, and I doubt anyone on here wants to buy my bunnies. I do love them but I have other priorities right now in my life that, I'm sorry to say, take precedence over the bunnies. This is the first time I have ever seriously considered selling any of my pets. I wish I could keep them but the cleaning and constant supervision outside the cage they need is just getting to be too much. Turn my back for an instant and they're trying to chew things they ought not be chewing. They've started trying to fight through their cages too, and they smell so strongly you can smell it through the closed door. I clean them daily and it doesn't seem to do any good. Its just too much. I didn't realize how bad their habits would get after maturity, but you live and you learn I suppose. I wont be getting any more bunnies after this, that's for sure. They're just not the pet for me.

You didn't have to and there is no guarantee anyone can take them, but I figured it was worth a shot. You want them gone as soon as possible, I understand that, but please make sure to screen properly. Since you brought them into your life it's your responsibility they go to someone they deserve, regardless of time restraints. I learned this the hard way. I hope this doesn't come off as 'preachy' I'm just trying to help.

:)

This is sad. Hopefully the buns will finally get a good home.

Why is it sad? Honestly, if you're just going to come on here to imply that I am being irresponsible don't even bother. Trust me, I am not happy about having to give them up. I wish that I could keep them, but I feel that paying to get them neutered, while I can afford it, may result in me not having money later when I may really need it. And I really really don't think that with everything else I will be doing its just not reasonable to also have to constantly be picking up after two messy rabbits because I don't want to get them neutered. I'm sorry, but life happens sometimes and I am not being a bad person for wanting to sell my bunnies. I just have to look after myself first.

Alright, since apparently people can't try and find homes for rabbits unless they are abandoned, shelter rabbits, or crippled without getting their head bit off, I have decided to just leave the forum and figure out what to do with my bunnies on my own.

Daeny, I can see that you are facing a fair amount of antagonism from members on your blog and your Rescue Me thread, and perhaps PMs that we don't know about. But the truth is, this forum has a lot of members who are passionate about their pets and helping rabbits who have fallen upon less fortunate circumstances. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't think it was sad or react similarly if they read about two buns who are about to lose their homes with their future up in the air, and if they do get rehomed that means some other two bunnies somewhere isn't getting a home. It IS sad, and it is unfortunate. To expect a lesser reaction on a pet rabbit forum would be a mistake on your part.

Obviously, we have no control over what you decide to do with Basil and Parsley no matter how the thread turns out, but what has been expressed by everyone so far is that we simply hope that the buns get a fair opportunity at a deserving home. Nobody here thinks you're going to do any unthinkable things to the rabbits, and nobody has hinted at that. We are just hoping those bunnies go to a safe and happy home now that you have decided to rehome them.

For now I'm going to pause this "debate" as there does not seem to be much more to productively discuss on the matter.

I do sincerely want to say congratulations on the engagement. Your ring is spectacular.

Fancy77 wrote:
Good luck with finding homes for your buns, and good luck with college!!!

Thank you. Good to have people post who are not attacking me for some thing or another.

Its not like I am not taking care of my bunnies properly or anything, apparently we are just not allowed to rehome bunnies on this forum unless they are abandoned or crippled or its just wrong and we're bad people and shouldn't be pet owners. >.>

Daenerys wrote:
Fancy77 wrote:
Good luck with finding homes for your buns, and good luck with college!!!

Thank you. Good to have people post who are not attacking me for some thing or another.

Its not like I am not taking care of my bunnies properly or anything, apparently we are just not allowed to rehome bunnies on this forum unless they are abandoned or crippled or its just wrong and we're bad people and shouldn't be pet owners. >.>
Just keep in mind no matter what others think or say it is up to you in the end to do what is best for you...right or wrong it is ur decision in the end

I know but I just find it to be a bit ridiculous that I am getting so much crap for making a simple decision that millions of other people make and I am sure at least one of them has done something similar in their past. Like someone else said, I don't remember who, sometimes you just don't know if a pet will be right for you until you actually have experience owning them. And its not like I am dumping them or something, I am legitimately trying to find a good home for them.

Have you tried getting on a waiting list for Midwest Rabbit Rescue and Rehome? Perhaps a transport could be arranged? Is a member able to call up nearby rescues in the NC vicinity? What about 3 Bunnies that I believe JadeIcing may have connections with? yes/no? http://www.3bunnies.org/understanding.htm

I'm going to type links in here as best as possible. Hope that it's okay. (dear mods; please do delete if you feel the links aren't helping with the rehome needy situation that Basil and Genevieve are facing). ?Basil and Parsley? Will type with arthritic fingers in case it will save your research time... we all get so busy ... even a 50-something dinosaur with health concerns, rescue focus, a granddaughter, and a dozen + bunnies, 2 less-abled buns and four other special needs' furry family and sanctuary, gets busy ;-) in addition to housecleaning, groceries, vaccuming and litter pans.

- Several RO members have ties to the MR R&R rescue organization.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI382.html

How about Adopt-A-Rabbit in Simpsonville? http://www.adopt-a-rabbit.org - Carolyn Gilbert has a few years on her birthday calendar yet she's an angel to help those she can, together with her volunteers. Can you get on a wait list at a reputable rescue organization?

-- As a Rescue Me regular lurker, I posted in the Rescue thread because your Basil looks like a hotot mix bun that found a home eventually through our fostering efforts.

Reaching out to help rehome needy buns to sidestep a last-minute transition to a less-caring home, or be euthanized at a local shelter because of overpopulation BENEFITS your two babies. The rabbits are always the innocent heartbeats, who will appreciate a good home with lifelong loving care.

Your all white pretty boy/gal reminds me of Joe James, who recently lost his life to sudden kidney failure through the foster/adopting hands of myheart. She misses him terribly and Sooska's Buttercup stirred up emotions and memories of sweet JoeJames. Gotta love what foster moms and humans do. Give your kids head strokes for me please. A lot of caring humans go above and beyond in helping those we can!!!!

Thanks for not going the free and cheap route on CL or other forums where rabbits are viewed as "get rid of" commodity. :hearts

I hope there will be time to locate a low-cost rabbit-savvy vet, administering pain meds, through a rescue organization to get your boys speutered, and that will assist in the messy habits & smells that hormones bring on. Two boys are probably havin' poo and pee wars to mark their territory!! :D yee ha!

Jeepers, wish the pet stores would put up a big sign about maturity and hormones! And I sincerely hope a temporary foster arrangement may occur so that your beautiful kids find a lasting home for the next 10-14 years. Would love to hear they found a devoted home.:hug2:

Your black dress in the photograph looks so fancy. What a pretty picture and a fancy dress!

Kisses to those lil' ones who'll forever be grateful,

TF

Latest posts

Back