Cuts of Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinmoveit

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread so I am making my own. I didn't realize how much cheaper I could get quality hay than I can buying Oxbow at the petstore (5lbs of Timothy costs $26).

Imbrium sent to me Sierra Valley and holy cow are their prices awesome and with shipping??! I am enlightened... now let's just hope that Peanut and Jet (mostly Peanut cuz she's picky about hay) like it.

Questions about 1st or 2nd cut. Is their a nutritional difference? Peanut is 10 months old and Jet is unknown between a year or 2

I'm hoping to be able to get some smaller quantities to try and get them switched over while I still have Oxbow on hand.

I forget what the nutritional difference is (some cuts tend towards higher fiber), but I think later cuts tend to be slightly softer

also, if you haven't tried feed-store timothy yet, some feed stores sell it, which would be much cheaper than sierra valley if you can find one... usually $10-15 for 50-80 lbs of hay!

I live in a farming community so you'd like I'd be able to find some, but NO - I can only find variety bales that have alfalfa in them or else they don't know if there is alfalfa or not. This year was a bad year for hay. My next door neighbor who has a horse ranch had to drive to Indiana to get hay last year and the price was VERY inflated

eesh! I live in a big city and we've got numerous feed stores that sell plain grass hay... I've never seen timothy, though, just coastal and some other weird hay. you'd think they would at least know if there was alfalfa in the hay or not ><

Latest posts

Back