Curly rabbit fur????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me. I have three minilops, all of whom are moulting at the moment. For two of my bunnies (they are sisters) this is their first real proper moult, as they didn’t moult before winter. Of the two sisters, ones fur is curly where she has moulted. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I’m hoping this isn’t because of any skin issues or anything!

If it helps, they were in a litter of 6, and their youngest/littlest sister had fur that was kind of like jersey wooly fur. I’m not sure if that might have something to do with it.

Hmm I'm not sure but it might be an Astrex furred rabbit but they are more of a wavy kind of fur. I am just kinda throwing the possibility out there, so it may not be right.

Astrex, or curly fur is a gene mutation. It is usually found in mini rex rabbits. I am sure other rabbits can have that same mutation, but it is rare. I it once on another site in a New Zealand rabbit. You can try doing a search on this site and you can read about curly rabbits. Curly hair is also found in other animals. One breed of cat that has it is called the Selkirk Rex.

Latest posts

Back