"curly" bunny fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassidy909z

Reaction score
I had an unexpected litter and I have no idea who the dad is, but the mother is a flemish giant. One of the baby's fur looks a bit curly. Can anyone tell me what it is?

CAM02959.jpg

I've felt of him and I'm pretty sure it's the fur. When I was little I used to have a mouse who's fur looked the same way, and I was wondering if it would turn out curly like the mouse did or what. I've never had a bunny look like this before.

Looks like fur to me. Take this with a very big grain of salt since I'm just a reader is all but in my rabbit studies I read that most rabbits breeds have a chance of having curly fur, a very very slim chance but it exists and isolating it is how they make new breeds, but usually its bred out. Now i'm not saying that's the cause here, just like putting my research to use is all. If its even right.

It does look somewhat curly. Someone on here who does not post often at all posted a while back about their bun including pics. It had curly fur, even the whiskers curled. I did a search on it and yes every now and then a bun pops up with curled fur. I cannot remember for the life of me what it is called. I do remember that some buns keep the curly fur for life or they could lose the curl after molting.

I absolutely love the look of the curly furred buns.

The curly coated rabbits are called astrex, and I believe it's a trait that can pop up in rex rabbits.

Wow I just did some research and that's really unique. I never thought a bunny could have curly fur! I'm just glad it's not something that could damage his/her health. Thanks for all the advice! I'll give updates once the kits have grown a little.

We had a kit that had curly type fur. We called her "Sheepy" . I didn't realize that this was a rare thing. She was a mixed breed so I had just assumed it was because of that. Good luck with your bunny.. hopefully it end up being the fur and not wrinkly skin. It does look a butlike wrinkly skin to me.. but I don't know.

Wow that blog was really entertaining to read. I never knew rabbits went through so many 'molts'. It's definitely not wrinkly skin, but my bun is reaching two weeks on the 3rd so I'll be sure to post updated pictures!

I woke up the other morning and three out of five babies from that litter were laying dead in the cage /: including the mystery "astrex". It was her first litter and it was unexpected, so I guess natural causes. I was really looking forward to see how that little guy would turn out.

Latest posts

Back