culture in various US states

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I am getting restless and think it is about time to move again.... I have lived in PA for almost 15 years, Ohio before that with a short stint in NC. I have noticed various places in the country have vary different cultures. Growing up in Ohio it was still rather religious, conservative, and family oriented, but it was out in the country. In PA it is much faster pace and people are very career oriented, but we are in the Philly suberbs. NC was super laidback but I was in school so harder to judge.

Anyone have insights? I'm not sure if it is really geography differnces or country/city living being the big difference.

Washington state or the Carolinas strike me as a nice place to live, but I'm not sure where I'm targeting my job search. :balloons:

I'm sorry, I have heard that from a couple people. They have been there because of the military and they were not very fond of the people there. Why don't you like it?

I think there are more city, suburban, small town, rural differences rather than by state. Even here in Chicago there are differences between various areas. such as lakefront, ethnic, young adults, older empty-nesters, etc, And climate seems to me to be important in choosing a place to live, plus the financial health of the state & local governments.

I'm sorry, I have heard that from a couple people. They have been there because of the military and they were not very fond of the people there. Why don't you like it?

it's hot as hell. in general, the people tend to suck unless you're in Austin. we let George W. Bush run the state. 80F+ days in december. tree roaches. did I mention it's hot as hell? also, it's freaking huge and it's mostly just cows and desert. talk about boring.

it's hot as hell. in general, the people tend to suck unless you're in Austin. we let George W. Bush run the state. 80F+ days in december. tree roaches. did I mention it's hot as hell? also, it's freaking huge and it's mostly just cows and desert. talk about boring.

You had me at tree roaches! I don't know what they are and don't ever want to find out :agree

We want somewhere more moderate in temperatures, that's my guideline for now. Then narrowing it down. My husband and I have been here because of helping with an ailing grandmother but she passed so nothing is holding us here anymore.

Whoa there Jen. Slow your roll.
Texas is one of the most patriotic states. In the larger cities you do have that "new york" mentality but most people tend to still be polite and help look after the neighbors cows. The most manners I've seen come from this state. They're are all kinds of terrain to live in. Desert out west, rolling hills up north, the ocean down south. Whataburger is a big plus. Yes roaches, rattlesnakes, and water mochasins come with the terrain. The roaches will be the only thing to worry about. But creepy crawlies are everywhere. Good schools and good football teams. No state taxes.
Not wanting to get into politics but the Bush family continues to give back to their community, especially the military community. I've been all over this great state and been all over the world. This is where I want to be put in the ground when it's all said and done.

I grew up in Los Angeles, went to college in upstate New York, spent a summer in San Antonio and am now back in Los Angeles. I've definitely liked all the places I've lived, but for different reasons. For example, I liked being sort of in the middle of nowhere in Ithaca for a few years, and I enjoyed those few years of "real winter" but I think I'm really more of a California girl at heart. I'm enjoying being back to a very mild winter again and I love that (as if I ever have free time outside of school) I can go to museums and restaurants and themeparks and zoos and all the other fun city sort of stuff when I want to as well.

Gotta agree on Texas sucks (even Austin, though to a lesser degree). The weather is enough of a turn off, let alone the flying tree roaches. And the water bugs. And the spiders the side of softballs. *Goes off to cry*

Upstate NY is wonderful if you can handle really cold. That's my favorite place I've ever been. As long as you like cold and snow, it's got a really nice small-town feel without all the scary small town politics and gossip. Also pretty radical and political in parts.

I guess that it is all just a mater of personal opinion and preference. I love Texas. I find the people to be a lot friendlier than MA. We came here for the warmer weather. The heat doesn't really bother me but cold does. As far as bugs go there are a lot more bugs but I haven't seen any tree roaches.

Move back to the Carolina's! I live like 30 minutes south of Charlotte, thats a big-ish city. The climate is okay, winters are mild. It never snows or anything. Summers are hot because they're humid. When the humidity is down, its actually quite nice. We also have beaches and mountains. We have Myrtle Beach, one of the biggest tourist attractions on the east coast, we have Wilmington, the Biltmore House, the Blue Ridge Parkway. Christmas trees out the ass.
Farm land and cities. I grew up in down town Charlotte and its got a lot of arts and such, its start to get the hustle and bustle feel of a really big city. Then I moved to the country and wouldn't trade that for anything.
Not that you have to live in Charlotte, you could move to York with me! A picturesque little town. I live on the outskirts, but its still adorable.

Kentucky is really pretty too.

The Florida panhandle is pretty boring, until spring break when college students from Alabama, Georgia, places like that come to party and get drunk. The rest of the year it's pretty quiet, with everyone minding everyone else's business. LOT of rednecks though. I went to high school with a boy named Bowen. Middle name Arrow. Bow and arrow. His little brothers were named Hunter, Trapper, and Fisher. But other than having only 4 non-white students in a school of 1,000, it's OK. The weather's nice, I got to grow my veggies year round this year because we didn't get any frost. You have to worry about palmetto bugs/tree roaches here like you do in Texas, but that's all through the south. They mainly live in palm trees and oak trees. And the Mediterranean geckos take care of most of them. Never ever kill a Mediterranean gecko. They're those pale spotted geckos you see on your porch walls at night, usually there's 20 or more. They eat palmetto bugs exclusively.

I like California. It's a big state with a bunch of different climates. I grew up in the bay area, which has nicer weather if you aren't into super hot. Plus side is you're really close to San Francisco. I moved to Sacramento for college and kind of never left haha. I like heat. Plus what I like about California is there are a lot of different races of people here. There's a lot of stuff here. However it can get expensive (some areas moreso then others).

However! If I could I would move to Hawaii in a heart beat haha. Just too much work to get the cats over there, among other things.

I'm not American but I have always been very much attracted to Vermont and those areas for some reason. Lol. I haven't a clue how much it costs to live there nor how good the quality of life is but it looks like such a gorgeous place.

Best of luck in your search! :)

Love this thread. I've been all over the US but only lived in Iowa. I love Iowa for raising a family. We have great schools, low crime, good cost of living, great communities etc. I also love ALL 4 seasons. So for me, I couldn't ever live anywhere that was warm all year or cold all year. We live near DES moines so have big city options but yet don't deal with crime, traffic etc. Also, Iowa is more progressive than people give us credit for. We have marriage equality (yay Iowa) and even though we may be perceived as conservative small town we are definitely broader than that.

If I didn't have children not sure where I would live. It still might be Iowa, but I also like Kansas city, Chicago suburbs, Minneapolis suburbs. I like parts of Texas but the climate is a no go. New England area is gorgeous too. I also like Colorado. The mountains out there are beautiful.

Geesh, lots of places. I think we forget how many different climates and aspects America has"

Personally, I love Maine :) It's a gorgeous state, and you really fully experience each season; you get cold, snowy winters, warm lovely spring, nice hot summer, and gorgeous cool fall! I think that's one of the main reasons I like it so much; in Southern states, you won't get all the fun snow ;)

Latest posts

Back