CT Rabbit Savvy Vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
The followingis a combination ofthe House Rabbit Society list for Rabbit Veterinarians in Conneticut (listed at: http://mahouserabbit.org/vets.asphttp://mahouserabbit.org/vets.asp</b></u>);the Petbunny listserver member recommendations at: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_CT.html; the Association of Exotic Animal Veterinarians list at http://www.aemv.org; and Rabbits Only research and member recommendations.

The listings are in order of AREA CODE.

(Please post updates including additions, deletions, recommendations and personal experiences in this thread).

Jill Ascher, DVM (PetBunny)
On the Wing Avian and Exotic Housecalls
(203) 961-8010
Recommended by: Lisa B. Kouzoujian
Comments: Dr. Ascher deals exclusively with small animals and exotics and birds. She uses the facilities at the Greenwich/Stamford (Connecticut) Animal Hospital and is always, always available. She's pulled Fustookh through a few tough ones...and also does his dental work with ease and very little anaesthesia. She is remarkable and I recommend her highly, even for a consult. And Fustookh loves her very, very much.
Submitted: 3/99

Paul A. Chace, DVM (HRS, AEMV)
Dr. Jan Metaleska (PetBunny)
Connecticut Veterinary Center
470 Oakwood Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06110
Phone: 860-233-8564
Email: [email protected]

Theresa Cianciolo, DVM (AEMV)
Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital
977 Farmington Avenue
Kensington, CT 06037
Phone: 860-828-7736

Kathleen Clark (HRS, PetBunny)
Twin City Animal Hospital
725 New Britain Ave.
Newington, CT
(860) 665-1314
Recommended by: [email protected]
Submitted: 3/99

Aubrey Fitch, VMD (AEMV)
Glastonbury Veterinary Hospital
121 Pratt Street
Glastonbury, CT 06033
Phone: 860-633-3588

Dr. Giddings (PetBunny)
Kensington Bird & Animal Hospital
977 Farmington Avenue
Kensington, CT 06037
(860) 828-7736
Recommended by: JoAnn Semnoski
Comments: He's an exotic [vet] and a very fine doctor with rabbits. My rabbit friends use him too and have been happy with him.
Submitted: 4/99

Sean Pampreen, DVM (AEMV)
Marlborough Bird and Animal Hospital
21 South Main Street
Marlborough, CT 06447
Phone: 860-295-1595

Pieper-Olson Veterinary Hospital (RO)
730 Randolph Rd.
Middletown, CT 06457
860-347-1122
Recommended by: massie777

Pieper-Olson Veterinary Hospital (RO)
60 Beaver Rd.
Wethersfield, CT 06109
860-721-7425
Recommended by: massie777

Anita Sabellico (PetBunny)
Suffield Veterinary Hospital
577 East Street South
Suffield, CT 06078
(860) 668-4041
Recommended by: Terese Pacensa
Comments: HRC and HRS recommended along with my personal recommendation. Dr. Sabellico sees rabbits on a daily basis. The Techs are great also! Even Joseph likes to see his doctor!
Submitted: 5/99

Cara Sweet, DVM (AEMV)
Chippens Hill Veterinary Hospital
595 Clark Ave
Bristol, CT 06010
Phone: 860-583-9271

3bunnies.org has told me that it has REMOVED the Bolton Hospital from its approved listing due to a number of serious complaints.

So far i have not found even ONE listing for a bunvet in Eastern CT, only practices west of the CT River. Seems strange, there are a lot of vets out here.

OK, Marlborough Hospital is in Eastern CT! See also Norwichtown Vet Hospital, Norwich. Both are endorsed by 3bunnies.org.

another good vet in connecticut is:

Pieper-Olson
Veterinary Hospital
730 Randolph Rd.
Middletown, CT 06457
860-347-1122

mandy
CottonTail Rabbit Rescue

[line]Added:thanks:

there is a Pieper-Olson in Wethersfield

60 Beaver Rd.
Wethersfield, CT 06109
860-721-7425

i don't know of any other vets in connecticut that works with small animals sorry,

mandy

[line]Added:thanks:

There may be some - check listing of vets & question them as to their bun-savviness. Not all are listed online. You might consider southeastern New York state also.

Bunman wrote:
3bunnies.org has told me that it has REMOVED the Bolton Hospital from its approved listing due to a number of serious complaints.

So far i have not found even ONE listing for a bunvet in Eastern CT, only practices west of the CT River. Seems strange, there are a lot of vets out here.
Ok that worries me. My buns go there and they have been great. Well my mom will be fostering for 3bunniesstarting next weekso I will have to talk to them.:(

Norwichtown Animal Hospital in Norwich has a good rabbit recommendation. Not very close to me, however. Any info about Bolton would be appreciated - i'd like to go there & used to, it's closer...

Anyone with bad experiences with Bolton Clinic, please PM me. Some people are happy with them & i used to go there myself before i moved. Of course things can go wrong in any practice but a pattern of problems is another matter. Is there any vet organisation that collects complaints?

Evaluation of a vet can be difficult because the bun parent is usually not qualified to do it - a red flag might go up only if something goes terribly wrong, &/or a pattern of problems arises thru the bun owner community in that area, or if there is a report by a reputable & qualified person. Some people may blame the vet if all does not go well, but by the same token there may be some form of malpractice going on.

Bunman wrote:
Anyone with bad experiences with Bolton Clinic, please PM me. Some people are happy with them & i used to go there myself before i moved. Of course things can go wrong in any practice but a pattern of problems is another matter. Is there any vet organisation that collects complaints?

Evaluation of a vet can be difficult because the bun parent is usually not qualified to do it - a red flag might go up only if something goes terribly wrong, &/or a pattern of problems arises thru the bun owner community in that area, or if there is a report by a reputable & qualified person. Some people may blame the vet if all does not go well, but by the same token there may be some form of malpractice going on.

I go there and don't have complaints so please if you know anything PM as well. I don't want to risk my babies.

One possibility would be to network with other bun owners in the area. Possibly put notices up at feed stores or in ad flyers, etc., seeking those with experiences at the clinic. A phone call to the UConn Dept. of Vet Science might be helpful: 486-4000. Or they may provide further leads. (Note: We are not accusing the clinic of anything, this is simply a fact-finding mission.)

Note to Mods: Please feel free to include 3Bunnies as an official endorser when naming sources, they're a great outfit. :) (Do they have a website with vet recommendations? We can incorporate theirlist and credit 3Bunnies).

And please post any comments pertaining to vet care in the thread so other members can make informed decisions. If you'd rather do so anonymously, please PM Bunnydude, and he'll post just the information desired without attributing it to a specific member.

Thanks!

sas

I am one of the complainers to 3buns I'm notgetting into the story...too long.But involves unnecessary pain anddeath to one of my rabbits.Because some of the Vets are L-A-Z-Y.That'sthe Gods honest truth.Dr.Pikas is good...but...well I won't go there!

I brought a rabbit to Bolton Vet last year as anemergency case. She needed a c-section to save herbabies! She needed one QUICK!!! I calledeverywhere because my vet was out of town. Bolton was thesame price as my own vet, so I decided to trythere.They did the surgery (don't know which vet)and I actually got a live baby out of it. The others diedbecause they were mal-formed. Anyways, I had a goodexperience with them.

They wanted the mother to stay the night because they did the c-sectionthat afternoon and they needed to spay her (another story). Itold them that I needed to come get this baby because it was the lastone of a particular line I did not want to lose. I went andgot him and got the mother the next day.

It has been a year and a half and all is well with the mother andson. However, this is the only time I have beenthere.

Sharon

You get your good and bad Vets.I think withspays it's more about the rabbit(anethesia too)It can be dangerous!Itwouldn't be the fault of the Vet particularly.I had 2 spayed.One madeit through....one didn't.I never would hold a Vet responsible for adeath in surgery.As with bunnies/dogs...us...anything can go wrong.It'sthe REAL idiotic mistakes they've made Iam talking about.I sent a PM tothe girl on here who uses them...she knows kind of what I wentthrough.It's a long story,concerning more than 1 rabbit!Too long topost,I DO bring my Chihuahuas there.Well take Care i'm glad everythingwent well!

I'm taking my Daisy to the Norwichtown Hospital next week for her first annual checkup &amp; a nail rim, so will report.:)

Hi There!Maybe i'll try there.I was thinking ofgoing with Dr.Giddings in Kensington.He does all exotics.I had aniguana (my sons really)with metabolic bone disease,he saved hislife.He's is just REALLY far from me.He also must be like in his70's...but he has a partner now!!So I might go there.

Dr Amy Giddings in Norwichtown wants me towithhold food from Daisy the night before surgery for toothspurs. This is wrong, isn't it? Who is best to go to withinabout 30 miles of Willimantic?

Latest posts

Back