Cryptorchid Bun (undescended testicles) spay or not spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody, my little netherland dwarf Gabriel (6 months old) has undescended testicles. I have no problem with his behaviour ( he doesn't hump or spray urine) and he is the only rabbit in the house.
I was wondering if removing the testicles is still necessary, I'd rather not risk a complex operation.
Are there any medical risks if the testicles are left inside?
Spay or not spay?

Thank you for any advice ! :)

Fran & Gabriel

A spay is the removal of ovaries and uterus in a female, so this wouldn’t be a spay, it would be a castrate :)
I would opt to have the neuter if he is a true cryptorchid. There is some evidence to suggest that retained testicles are more prone to cancerous changes. Castrates aren’t complicated surgery, and even with a cryptorchid you will often find the retained testicle is not far away from the scrotum, so it is rarely abdominal surgery.
However, it is rare for both testicles to be undescended - how confident are you that he is male? It also might be the case that when you try and feel them he is retracting them, which is something both rabbits and pigs can do! I would take him to a vet to at least see if they can confirm gender and feel for the testicles, and if he is indeed cryptorchid I would suggest you have them removed.

A spay is the removal of ovaries and uterus in a female, so this wouldn’t be a spay, it would be a castrate :)
I would opt to have the neuter if he is a true cryptorchid. There is some evidence to suggest that retained testicles are more prone to cancerous changes. Castrates aren’t complicated surgery, and even with a cryptorchid you will often find the retained testicle is not far away from the scrotum, so it is rarely abdominal surgery.
However, it is rare for both testicles to be undescended - how confident are you that he is male? It also might be the case that when you try and feel them he is retracting them, which is something both rabbits and pigs can do! I would take him to a vet to at least see if they can confirm gender and feel for the testicles, and if he is indeed cryptorchid I would suggest you have them removed.

Thanks for the info!
I had him seen from 3 different vets by now and they were all puzzled XD the last one saw with an ultrasound that there are indeed undescended small testicles. I will definitely consider neutering him then if is not such an invasive procedure :) !

Well it depends where they are! If both are undescended confirmed by the vet, does he know where they are? The reason it is normall not invasive is because they are usually somewhere within the inguinal canal on their way down.. but If they are both abdominal that will be more invasive. I can’t imagine it would be any more invasive than a spay for a female rabbit, so it shouldn’t carry excessive risks if performed by a rabbit savvy vet. I suggest discussing the risks at length with a vet who knows about rabbits!

I’m interested about this case so please keep me updated!

Hi Popsicles!
Thank you for your interest :) Gabriel is going to be neutered in a month time.
My little bunny had already a lot of health problems :( he suffers from malocclusion ( his mandible is longer that his upper jaw) and had his teeth burred down by the vet last week. Plus he also found out that he has urinary problems.
I am waiting to see how his bladder and teeth problems go, in case he needs more operations.
Then I will look into neutering him... but don't want to put him under so many operations in such short time.
He will get neutered eventually since I must find him a lovely lady bun to cuddle with :D !

Yeah I understand that! Deal with the more pressing issues first. If he has malocclusion then I’m sorry to say his teeth will need burring regularly as they aren’t meeting and grinding down properly. But the bladder fingers crossed he will be okay with that! Only so many things you can handle as a bun owner haha :) best of luck! And I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to get a girlfriend haha!

Latest posts

Back