Critical care supplement?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
I've seen online that crushed pellets would work as a "homemade critical care". Critical care is pretty expensive (the cheapest I've seen is £19.80 not including postage), now, of course, I could just buy it but if I can use this it would save me a bit of cash, which my poor fourteen-year-old self could use this summer to buy rabbit toys 😂

Anyway, the recipe is pretty basic. Your rabbit's usual brand of pellets, blend, and then add water when you need to use it. Seems fine. Sounds like it would work. I also have 100% hay pellets on hand, so could use those, which could possibly be more effective due to the higher fiber content. Would this work for a rabbit who is going through GI stasis (of course, I'd need medication and whatever else)?

I'll also add that Apollo is completely fine. I'm just going through my first aid kit and replenishing all its stuff because Apollo eats absolutely everything, and likes getting sick.

It definitely can be used. Though it's not as smooth a mixture, so I've found it can clog up the tip of a syringe. You need a really wide tip syringe to avoid that, also remembering to syringe slowly so you don't risk aspiration. Yes, a plain hay pellet mush is a better option in most cases for syringe feeding, in my opinion. Like you said, it has more fiber, plus no added sugars, which is what is needed for a slowed down gut.

Just remember that not all instances or a rabbit stopping eating, is it appropriate to syringe feed. If a rabbit has bloat or a complete intestinal blockage, it would actually be very harmful to syringe feed until a vet has ruled those out or treated the problem. I will only start syringe feeds if I know specifically why a rabbit has stopped eating and I know those two things aren't the cause. Like after surgery, or if an injury has occurred causing pain and a lack of appetite, or when a vet has ruled out bloat and complete blockage.

When I am out of Critical Care, I use crushed pellets and mix it with canned pumpkin puree. The pumpkin helps the pellets go through the syringe.

To my knowledge, Critical Care for Herbivores although powdery, contains long fibres, and you can kind of see them with your eye in the mixture. In my opinion it is far superior over pellets for a sick bunny, especially if feeding is needed over several days or even weeks.

Feeding too much pellets can actually cause a tummy ache whereas CC is safe to feed over long periods of time if the bunny needs it, and I have had to do so a few times. The only thing it won't do is wear down the teeth because nothing ofc beats hay, but short term that is not an issue for most bunnies. CC also contains more fibre than many pellets.

In an emergency pellet mush is ofc much better than anything, but I always like to keep CC available. As a bonus, my bunnies love it (just not when sick.)

Dual care in warm water and let in soak for a few mins then will mix to a paste. Use a long neck 15ml syringe to feed with and you WILL get covered in it. So have 3 syringes filled and ready to go with a fairly wet mix but not too watery.

Latest posts

Back