Critical Care Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amj2283

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am waiting on an answer back from my vet, but I figured I would ask here too.

My rabbit returned home last night after a day and a half in emergency care for GI stasis. The vet sent me home with critical care to feed 40mls 5 times a day.

I picked him up at 7pm. His first home feeding to be at 10pm. Immediately after returning home he jumped into his box started munching on hay and had a small poop. At 10pm, I was able to get 5mls in before he stopped swallowing. I put him down and he went in his cage to munch on hay. I called it a lost cause and put a couple of hand full of greens in. At 2am, half the greens were gone and same story was able to get 5mls in and he fought me to go eat hay, so I refreshed his greens. At 7am, half the greens were gone, so I refreshed and he's nibbling on them, so I decide to not do his 7am syringe. At this point in the last 10 hours he's consumed a little more than his normal breakfast in greens and has been grazing on hay and has been sipping from his water. I refreshed his litter this morning and he hasn't used it yet. Do I still need to attempt critical care if he's eating decently? I'm coming home at 12pm for his lunch feeding and medications.

If a rabbit is eating an adequate amount on it's own to keep the gut moving(making absolutely sure bun is in fact eating well), there is usually no need to stress it by attempting syringe feeds. But yes, make sure to consult your vet.

Latest posts

Back