Crispin's in the Hospital :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdith4him

Reaction score
Got back from the vet's about 30 minutes ago. Crispin wasn't eating and didn't look to be producing his usual poops (very small ones at that). After some examinations, the vets determined he probably has the beginnings of GI stasis. Crispin's spending at least one night at the vet's (if not more) to make sure he's back in tip-top shape. We took Junie with us for moral support, but brought her back home since it wouldn't be best for her to stay. On the way home, she peed in the carrier and emerged at home with her entire back end SOAKED in urine. After a clean up in the tub, she's back in her pen, eating and probably confused and lonely :( Poor little bunnies...what a bad night!

Please pray for Crispin. I feel so bad for him! He was fine this morning, but when I got home this afternoon he was obviously not right.

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry :( I will be thinking of you and Crispin and can only imagine your stress right now :( that GI stasis can be such a scary darn thing. Hang in there and keep us updated. Crispin stay stron and get better and come home soong!!!!!!

Good work catching it early! I usually line my carrier with some newspaper and a baby blanket or towel (and I store it that way in case of an emergency) which should absorb any urine.

aww, poor crispin! hope he gets better soon!

you mentioned Junie being lonely... are your bunns bonded? if so, it's far better for her to stay at the vet with him, otherwise he could come home smelling "weird" and it could wreak havoc with their bond ;)

I hope Crispin feels better soon!

Why did the Vet opt to keep him there overnight? Is there people there overnight with him? I would be more tempted to have brought him home and do whatever needs to be done at home ie) supporative care-
syringe feeding critical care etc. And i would of
had the vet give sq fluids and whatever other
injections he needs. Vets can cause a lot
of stress for bunnies :(

Keep us posted.

Thanks for your concern, everyone :)

We decided to bring Junie home with us because she is SO active. They have a fairly nice sized cage where Crispin will be kept, but we felt she would be stressed out being in something so much smaller than her regular living quarters for what might be several days. They're also trying to keep track of Crispin's poop output and if she's in there with him, they won't know whose poops belong to who!

As hard as it was to leave him at the vets, we really trust these people and know he will get excellent care. They showed us their medical care plan for him and it includes daily evaluations, feeding assistance, oral medications, and subcutaneous fluids. While I would love to care for Crispin myself, I just don't feel like I have the necessary experience to do all that (and obviously, some of it cannot be done from home). We had trouble giving him medicine from a syringe! Both my husband and I work and taking time off would be difficult at this point. I teach 1st grade and at the beginning of the year, I really want to be there to get the kids into the routine. There are vets there with him for most of the night (I think it's only a couple hours during the late night/early morning when no one is there).

I'll keep you updated when I hear something!

Just got a voicemail and an email from the vet! Here's what he said:

"Just left you a voicemail....Crispin is eating some hay this morning and abdomen feels much less tense. We remain bright, alert, and responsive and appears happy so far! We will continue supportive care and keep each other updated!"

He also attached a picture of Crispin in the cage he's in!

303837_10100242001494173_224006555_n.jpg

Oh thank goodness that sounds positive! Hope he's home in no time!

LakeCondo wrote:
When he comes home, wrap him in a blanket that she has used, so he'll smell right to her.

With Pip's neuter, I had him in his cage for 2 days (Big Bunny would hop in and out) but when he was allowed to run around, Bunny bullied him like he didn't know who he was. Just keep an eye on them when he gets home if they don't immediately recognize each other!

No further updates for Crispin, but please pray that Junie will be okay, too. She definitely seems out of sorts and I think she's really missing her hus-bun. She's eating and pooping fine, so no worries there, but this morning when I let her out for breakfast, she ran right past the food bowl and thumped. It took her a minute before she started eating. She thumped a few minutes later and just looks unnerved. Last night she wasn't quite as active and spritely as she usually is. Hopefully Crispin will be able to come home this afternoon!!

Crispin is home!! Here's the final email from the vet:

"I checked on Crispin and he remains really bright and alert but his fecal output still remains small in size and number. I would have no problem sending him home tonight with you both if you feel comfortable giving him oral medications and assist feeding him. That way, if he's at home, hopefully his GI tract will start moving a little faster...

But if you think medicating him twice daily will be next to impossible for right now, we have no problem keeping him too.... sometimes it takes a few days for them to really get back on their feet."

I'll post a bit more in awhile...of course as soon as I left the vet's I thought of a ton of questions :p

Oh thank goodness!!! SO glad he's home with his Junie and his momma! Hope he continues his recovery quickly!

Alright, I'm trying to give Crispin the critical care food that the vet gave me. It's what he's been eating in the hospital, but he won't even lick it tonight! I'm pretty sure I mixed it up correctly (1.5 Tablespoons + 3 T of water). He seems way more interested in the veggie bowl Junie got! Can I try giving him pellets?

Latest posts

Back