Craigslist ad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaben

Reaction score
Craigslist ad:
I have a bunny that I bought from the pet store here in lawton that I want to get rid of.the rabbit comes with a cage.water bottle..feeding bowl.hay.food.and yogurt treats.The bunny is possibly a girl from What the petshop said and she is mainly in her cage with occasional playtime outside of it...thank you contact me for.more info.

Why do people DO THIS?! I just want to call her up and flip out. Or take it to a shelter. Or rehome it myself. That is just ridiculous.

I feel like a crappy owner because I kenneled my own bun at the rabbit savy vet we ALWAYS go to and he got snuffles. She's just tossing hers out like yesterdays garbage.

I know we see these posts all the time but it never ceases to amaze me. Not just rabbits but cats, dogs, children. This is why I prefer animals to people.

Sorry. End rant.

Craigslist is so depressing.

I'd say 1/4 of bunny ads are from people who legitimately love their buns but something drastic changes in their lives. They put info about the buns not living in a cage, litter trained, fixed, etc.

But the other 3/4... it's like they thought they were buying a hamster, and now it's too much work and they're bored. I saw one this morning of a rabbit kept in such an amazingly tiny cage, a tiny handful of hay, water bottle, and a salt lick. That's it. I wanted to cry :(

I need to stop looking...

Watermelons wrote:
I just even it out every so often with a "Free to good home" post. "Cant keep the kid, dog has allergies" or something of the sort.
LOL @ dog having allergies !!

I have used craigslist before a year ago or so to find a home for a 4-5 year old bun that we didnt have the cage space for. She found a happy new home but I always feel guilty posting one of mine on there.

I found both my buns on Craigslist. Hopefully she will find a good home. Right after Easter there was a add where someone got their kids a bunny for Easter and wanted a free cage because they couldn't afford one. Uh if you can't afford a cage, you can't afford food, and hay and vet care :-( that one made me very sad.

Yeah the wanted ads for free animals or free cages are flabbergasting and sad.

I thought about keeping track of how much I spend on my buns, but I decided against it, because nothing would stop me from treating them right!

If you can't afford the animal, or the cage, there's no way you can afford to keep it alive and healthy. Ugh.

While I was deciding where to go before I adopted my two I came across a bun on craigslist whose ad said he would need tooth trims every 8 weeks. They also wanted $100. I'm not saying that I wouldn't pay for tooth trims or incisor removal on my own buns if they were maloccluded, but I'm certainly not going to give you $100 for your rabbit that will likely cost me $600 in dental surgery and at least $100 for a neuter.

:soapbox

the most annoying cl ad i saw, well two, actually, were for dogs. one was a beagle puppy that the poster had gotten his 4 and 6 year olds for christmas. they weren't caring for the dog and so he wanted to rehome it. :banghead the kids are 4 and 6. really???? did you really think they would take car3e of a PUPPY???

the other one was a woman who was rehoming her 5 month old saint bernard because she was 8 months pregnant and the dog was going to get too big. so you got a puppy, knowing you were pregnant, but didn't realize that the breed you got would grow and get huge? what were you expecting it to do??? shrink??? :banghead

my husband and i have taken in multiple stray dogs, cats, rabbits and rats, gotten them healthy and rehomed them when they were ready all because there are people like these on cl who don't bother to research or think before they get an animal. i know i should have secured the cage better for my little male bun until he was completely sterile, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if i have babies, they will all have a home with me for forever if i don't find homes for them where they will be well loved and taken care of.

sorry. end of rant. :hiding:

I've seen lots of ads where they say, "(bunny,dog, whatever animal it is) for sale." and thats it. no description, pictures, ages, breeds, nothing. Also, sometimes I don't like it when animals are sold for free, because it makes it too easy for people. You want to make sure they're willing to pay, which could be a small indication of their good care for the animal later on.

Hyatt101 wrote:
I've seen lots of ads where they say, "(bunny,dog, whatever animal it is) for sale." and thats it. no description, pictures, ages, breeds, nothing. Also, sometimes I don't like it when animals are sold for free, because it makes it too easy for people. You want to make sure they're willing to pay, which could be a small indication of their good care for the animal later on.
a small fee also reduces the odds of the animal becoming snake food

Jennifer: exactly! It just helps give a little more assurance about the animals future!

Larry: what do you mean? sorry your sentence just confused me a little! :p

Hyatt101 wrote:
Jennifer: exactly! It just helps give a little more assurance about the animals future!

Larry: what do you mean? sorry your sentence just confused me a little! :p
He's saying that people who place such ridiculous ads are worse than idiots So these 'idiots' are sooo idiotic that calling them just 'idiot' would give the usual 'idiot' a bad name.

Now are you thoroughly confused, lol!

Latest posts

Back