Could it be cancer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchBunny19

Reaction score
My partner noticed a small lump on our belgian’s front left paw about two weeks ago. It looked like a small spot, was a light pink colour like the rest of her skin and didn’t look irritated or sore at all. I just assumed she’d caught it on something, and since she was walking fine and acting totally normal in herself we left it to heal on its own.

Fast forward two weeks and it’s now a grape sized lump, that has turned black and crusty. It doesn’t seem to effect her walking at all, and she still does her normal binkies like a crazy thing every morning. You wouldn’t really know she had it unless you went looking for it, as she shows no signs of it bothering her. We took her down to the vets this morning and the vet we saw suggested two possible causes for her lump: inflammation or a type of skin cancer. We’ve taken her home with a steroid cream to try, but they’ve said if the lump keeps growing in the next few days to bring her straight back in where they’ll attempt surgery to remove enough to biopsy. They’ve said they’ll then send the lump to a lab where it can be checked for cancer, and if that lab result comes back positive for cancer cells then she’ll need a second surgery to try removing the whole thing.

Has anyone else experienced this before with their rabbits? She’s only just turned a year old this April, and is otherwise in perfect health and up to date with all vaccinations, check ups etc. Likewise she is an indoor hare (has been since she was a few weeks old), and wouldn’t have had the opportunity to come into contact with anything that could’ve irritated her paw. I’ve included a picture of her lump, but it’s not a great angle and doesn’t quite show how big it is.

A22B94C2-9889-4B3A-8629-5E03DC257007.jpeg

Latest posts

Back