Could grass/digging mats cause sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemony4

Reaction score
My rabbit eats blankets whenever he's in his hidey area, so I put a digging/grass mat in there so that he doesn't eat any of the blanket he's chewed up.

Its kind of a tight braided material, I couldn't find the exact type of mat online but I here is picture of him flopped on it lol. I haven't seen sores on his feet but I just want to make sure because he's loafed on this thing for several hours a day, whereas before he was always on blankets and carpet

Floppy boy

sore hocks are caused by two things
1. genetics (poor furring on feet)
2. wet conditions

if the mat isn't wet, he'll be fine.

Some rabbits have been known to get sore hocks if left only on carpet. Variety of surfaces is more important for preventing sore hocks. So braided mats will be just fine -- better in fact simply because it is an additional option for laying on.

I always liked to keep a square tile (porcelain or ceramic) in any enclosure for another option. Sometimes they like to have that cool, smooth surface for a change.

Interesting! I guess I always just thought it to be about the toughness of whatever they're on most of the day. The rest of his bedroom is utility/rubber tile but he usually spends his time in the carpeted living room with us, and a couple hours a day he naps on the tile by our front door so I'd say he has some variety

Thank you!

Okay, that's also good to know thank you. He doesn't really tolerate being handled still so we bring him to the vet every few weeks for a clipping

Latest posts

Back