Could a high titer number have anything to do with this problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
Sherry has never been great at using the litterbox but over the past year she's been going absolutely everywhere. She goes in her box but also anywhere in her cage (except their shelf) and in their room. It seems like she goes more often than my other rabbits and in larger quantity (although I don't actually see theirs as much as hers...haha). She drinks quite a bit of water and now has also started poopinig everywhere (including the shelf).

She's been tested twice over the last 9 months for health problems including urinary infection, bladder infection, kidney issues, etc. The only thing that has come back not normal is that she has a high titer number. Could this have anything to do with it?? I doubt it but I'm grabbing at straws.

I feel like it must be health-related and I feel terrible that I'm not able to help her. She's going back to the vet in two weeks to have her teeth checked and I want to have her tested again for all the above. Is there any other illness anyone can think of??? Anything else she should be tested for?

I've tried everything environmental like adding litter boxes, etc., etc. I feel like its got to be health related but I just don't know what's wrong and neither does my vet (and she's a good bunny vet.)

Cara and Sherry

Some of that sounds very muhc like my Boofy who died of suspected kidney failure, which now looks like it could have been EC related. I don't know what a titer is, sorry, but have you had her checked for EC?

That can lead to kidney failure, which can lead to increased drinking, peeing, etc. I don't know of anything else at all, but maybe that might be worth a test?

I'm sorry you're struggling with her. Keep us updated :)

What was the titer for? Titers are ways to measure antibodies.

The "titer" of an antibody is a way of expressing the concentration of the antibody in your blood. The titer of an antibody is related to the number of times you can dilute a sample of blood and still detect the antibody.

For instance, when tested for EC, the vet will do an EC titer. But there are other illnesses that a titer could be done for.

EC titers are not done on a routine basis, so you should know if that is what your vet is testing for.

There is a possibility that the increased urine output COULD be associated with EC...but also with many other health concerns.

Our oldest bun showed an increased urine output the other year. She also consumes much more water than the other rabbits. (And like your bunny, she is not a consistent litterbox user - though out bun never has been.) When I first raised the concern (and some others) with our vet we ran a full blood panel and an EC titer. While she tested strong positive for EC, that is merely an indication that she has had exposure to EC...it is a very complicated illness that the veterinary community continues to study and debate...and the "popular" treatment is also ever in a state of flux.

With that said, I think the first thing you will want to ask is just what titer has been drawn on your rabbit. Then find out what the readings have been and what the normal range is.

If your vet finds no health problems, keep investigating, but also be aware that it may be a behavioral issue. I've yet to find a foolproof way to get Gingivere to use her box 100% consistently...so I've adapted my life around her. I don't let her have access to places where I don't want her to urinate, and I always check up on her and clean up quickly when she's got free range of the house.

I do hope that you find a solution to what's going on with Sherry. Keep us posted.

-Mary Ellen

Thanks for the information! It was an EC titer. I didn't realize that a titer was related to any other illness.

She had it done twice. The vet did the test because of this same issue of peeing everywhere to see if it was neurological. She took Oxybendrole forthree months and it was high the second time too but kidneys, etc. were normal again.I worrya lotabout EC because my first bun died during a very sudden and very terrible bout of head tilt. It was just awful. So everytime she tilts her head even the slightest to look at something I about have a heart attack.

I also worry about kidney failure too because I know that can happen quickly. She's had her kidney's testing a few times this year after taking Metacam (for other things) and her kidney resultswere always normal.

Every morning I put down a fresh puppy training pad or Palace Pet bed and cover it with fleece or a towel. Every night when I come home from work itswet and smelly. She lives with a partner (they are in the avatar) and I hate that they both get there little feet soggy because they have to stand on the dirty towel.

I feel pretty confident thatover the past year I've tried everything that could be behavioral. I've tried every tip anyone's ever given me. The one thing that makes me wonder a bit, though, is that she never pees on the shelf (they have a NIC cage). That makes me think maybe she does have control of the situation and just doesn't want their shelf to get wet and gross because they snuggle up there. Hmm???

Did the vet do a culture on her urine to check for crystals? Did the vet check to see if there were stones in the kidneys or bladder? This is done with x-rays. The formation of stones are a common issue with EC.

I had a unfortunate but incredible learning experience dealing with a rabbit with EC. I spent a small fortune on him. He was worth it. I even took him to the University of Penn Vet School for a second opinion. My vet was okay with that. Unfortunately Simon did pass. He was really comprimised.

cmh9023 wrote:
I feel pretty confident thatover the past year I've tried everything that could be behavioral. I've tried every tip anyone's ever given me. The one thing that makes me wonder a bit, though, is that she never pees on the shelf (they have a NIC cage). That makes me think maybe she does have control of the situation and just doesn't want their shelf to get wet and gross because they snuggle up there. Hmm???

I can understand where you're coming from because it's very similar to our Gingivere. When we first got her she was an only bun (and our first), so I never noticed how much she drank/urinated. We started with a wire bottom cage, then a larger solid bottom where I used aspen shavings as bedding. I didn't try to litter train her the first year. Then we got Stewart. They lived together happily for 2 years - no noticed problem. It wasn't until Stew passed (from pasteurella) and she and Emmaline (our 3rd bun) lived separately thatI noticed the great disparity in water consumption and urine output between the two.

Gingivere doesn't pee just anywhere...but she also doesn't always go to her box either (which both Emm and Pipkin do). Also...she is the ONE who poops all over when she's out running in their bunny room or on the porch. The others poop a bit out there, but I think that's a territorial marking thing more than anything else.

Now we have Capt. Snow and hope to bond him with Gingivere. He seems to have similar behavior to her - even worse. When I tried him in a pen with a litter box, he peed everywhere but there. and got all wet. I've resorted to a pen lined with Carefresh so he doesn't end up with urine scald. He was neutered yesterday, which I hope will help make litter training easier. And will putting the two together improve the litterbox situation or give the end result of two wet-bottomed buns?

Still...I do wonder if there are just certain buns who are difficult to litter train. Or could they be like cats who break litter training if they find the litterbox situation to be stressful for some reason?

Not that I've given you ANY answers here...just wanted to say that we're both kind of in the same boat with our buns. I'm will share any ideas or solutions I uncover and hope ou will do the same.

Which of your buns is Sherry's partner? They look absolutely adorable in the avatar photo together.

-Mary Ellen

Hi,

I know Sherry had a urine culture and I'm pretty sure she had an x-ray for this problem. I'm going to doublecheck though. She also had x-rays not too long ago for her jaw and I want to be sure I'm not thinking of those. I'm pretty sure I remember a full body-type of x-ray prior to her jaw though.

I don't know if she's been checked for diabetes. I'm going to look up information on rabbits and diabetes. I really don't know anything about that.

She has an appointment on October 23. I'm going to write down everything that was suggested and find out if she was checked for the things people mentioned.

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back