Cottontails trying to stay cool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 107F today🥵 and the cottontails struggle to keep cool. I went to sit out on the porch and this little fella started to hop away but thought better of it. He returned (1st pic) even though I was a mere 4 feet away. Then he settled in the damp ground under the pot and relaxed (2nd pic). :cool:

View attachment 61373 View attachment 61374
When Rabbit isn't under pot, wet the dirt down with water. Just enough to make it wet, not mud. Every time it drys out wet it down again.

When Rabbit isn't under pot, wet the dirt down with water. Just enough to make it wet, not mud. Every time it drys out wet it down again.

That is already why they choose that spot! The pots are all on a drip system so the water drips down a couple times per day. Every plant is on a drip system and that is what the rabbits seek out. They dig out a "bowl" in the damp dirt (in multiple places in the yard) to stay cool. :)

Dang, that sucks, the highest it was for me today was 91F. Im not used to the heat but where you are must be worse, how I keep my buns cool is by make fresh fruit/flower tea popsicles!

Latest posts

Back