Cottontail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Blackburn

Reaction score
A53AF960-F93D-4000-BFC1-E14ED36E5564.jpeg 500F8945-E373-4CD8-B416-E74FD48F4F48.jpeg 5D8A4CD9-0888-4F3A-8D16-42947BD75B88.jpeg My cat dragged a baby bunny in my house and was trying to eat it. It’s eating grass and drinking water. I’m not positive but think it’s a cottontail. How do I tell it’s age and if it needs goat milk or not?

Do you have any idea of the general area where your cat found it? Typically, the best thing you can do for them is to put it back in or near the nest... though that one's old enough that it should be weaned already... I would guess 5-7 weeks old? If it's eating grass and drinking water, it shouldn't need milk replacement.

Since it clearly doesn't mind being handled, check it thoroughly for any scratches/bites (ie puncture wounds) from your cat. Those can easily prove fatal even in an adult rabbit (and even with aggressive vet treatment), so if you see any punctures in the skin, I would definitely try to find a wildlife rehab asap that can take it in.

Latest posts

Back