Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone 🙂

I made a really bad decision of buying a bunny from a lady I knew of through a friend. My previous bunny has been put down recently and I was feeling lonely but also ready to move on and give love to a new rabbit.

Her name is Lola and she’s a female lionhead and is so gorgeous (I’ll add photos). I’m worried though about her teeth. They are horrifically overgrown and I’m so mad that this wasn’t mentioned or seen before. I only brought her home on Wednesday and found out Thursday evening, when I noticed she wasn’t eating hay at all.

I know the vets will want to remove them because they are dreadful. I’m so concerned about her wellbeing and whether she’s in pain or not. Does anybody know how much the procedure will cost to remove them? And will she have a good quality of life still? She’s only 3 months old 💔 (I’ve inserted photos of how bad the teeth are😢)

Attachments

• ABC64EAC-EF01-48CE-BA9C-E6705C786195.jpeg
    ABC64EAC-EF01-48CE-BA9C-E6705C786195.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 11
  • AE87B1F2-2314-4277-9D57-D9A79678CDA9.jpeg
    AE87B1F2-2314-4277-9D57-D9A79678CDA9.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 7913FBF8-FBB5-4977-B8BF-EBEF5D3B6FBD.jpeg
    7913FBF8-FBB5-4977-B8BF-EBEF5D3B6FBD.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 6DF2589F-035C-4E3B-A8B7-2DB10F09676F.jpeg
    6DF2589F-035C-4E3B-A8B7-2DB10F09676F.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 17
  • C6187022-3D1C-4EE1-818A-564C2F71E5FB.jpeg
    C6187022-3D1C-4EE1-818A-564C2F71E5FB.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi,
She’s gorgeous & very lucky you found her. ❤
The vet should definitely be able to trim them down ( make sure to get rabbit savy vet ).
Vet List RWAF:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ly-vet-list/&usg=AOvVaw391ixcpowUwANwQrskqxIh
(You might want to do a full exam before anything though),
not sure about the cost, but she’ll definitely be able to have a good quality of life.

Malocclusion Story :
Medirabbit

Malocclusion Info :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...roblems1.htm&usg=AOvVaw0HSz1xFAmIT6KeqSuUWfYB
Edit: Make sure she’s still able to eat ( you might need to syringe feed her )

Last edited:
I don't think they will actually have to remove the teeth, they will probably just need to do monthly trimming which cost about $250 each time. Once they get them trimmed down she can start eating hay which will wear them down naturally. If you also offer her lots of wood chews that helps to wear them down.

Until then, offer her a super high-quality hay pellet such as Sherwood pellets. Since she is still a baby she probably needs the Sherwood baby rabbit pellets.

I would start with trims. Because she is still young, there is a possibility as she continues to grow, that they could become realigned again and no longer be an issue. If they don't realign as your rabbit grows up, then I would weigh the cost and difficulties of repeated trims, compared to permanent incisor(and peg teeth) removal.

Cost for trims or removal will depend on the vet you end up seeing. They all charge differently. Manor vets(Edgbaston branch?) is supposed to be good with rabbits. I've also heard Marie Kubiak recommended, with Blacks vets now I think. The incisors are long and surely impacting her ability to eat, so make sure to mention that when booking an appt. so they get her in asap and back to being able to eat normally.

There is a RWAF gold standard vet in Birmingham. Rabbit Friendly Vet List Don't hesitate, go there ASAP. If incisors and peg teeth are removed she will be able to eat everything, including long stemmed hay, just fine except you may need to cut up veg in smaller pieces.

Hello - my bunny Snowball had to have his teeth removed because one broke off and the other grew to meet it and grew really long. Vet said it was best. He had his grinders and lived a long life 10 years. I cannot recall how much it cost to remove them but I hope all goes well for you and your new bunny. On the plus side Snowball never bit into electrical cords after that or chewed furniture etc.

Aw that makes me sad to hear 💔 I agree to start with trimming as there is a chance they will realign since she is so young. I have no experience with removing incisors, sorry!

Hello - my bunny Snowball had to have his teeth removed because one broke off and the other grew to meet it and grew really long. Vet said it was best. He had his grinders and lived a long life 10 years. I cannot recall how much it cost to remove them but I hope all goes well for you and your new bunny. On the plus side Snowball never bit into electrical cords after that or chewed furniture etc.
I am interested, by removing the incisors, how did it effect his day-to-day life? Could he still eat by himself?

Snowy had the front uppers and lowers and the peg teeth behind each of those removed as well. He had no problem eating hay, his pellets, his treats, or greens. ;)

Snowy had the front uppers and lowers and the peg teeth behind each of those removed as well. He had no problem eating hay, his pellets, his treats, or greens. ;)

That is amazing! I know this may sound weird, but could I please have a picture of his mouth (if you have one saved)? That interests me, as rabbits are totally known for their amazing front teeth 🤭

Latest posts

Back