Correcting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
How do any of you discipline your rabbit? Or stop them from doing a bad behavior when they start to do it?

Please do NOT tap their nose. That may work with a dog because a dog wants to please their master. Rabbits have no such inclination. I don't think doing so helps with establishing trust either.

It depends on what the offending act is, but the way a mother rabbit disciplines her young is what you can mimic. Just firmly but gently push their head to the floor and hold for a few seconds (immediately following the offense).

It also has been suggested that one claps loudly or loudly say "NO" in a firm voice. However, this seems to be a temporary and fleeting method. I have attempted this many-a-time and have found that, for example, it may stop bunny for a moment from chewing on the couch corner. Then he goes right back to it. I can repeat many times, he'll stop for a moment and then either resume or eventually get bored of "the game" and move on. It does nothing to permanently let them know to not do the act.

For the bulk of "naughty" behaviors, it is usually most effective to just prevent the ability of doing it by blocking off an area or whatever is needed to prevent the act.

Most of what we consider "bad" behaviors are natural for rabbits - spraying, digging, chewing, etc.

It doesn't really make sense to correct rabbits for that because they don't understand those are bad behaviors. It would be like refusing to allow a cat to clean itself. Instead, minimize unwanted behaviors by modifying the rabbit's environment. And for those we can't control, like chewing, just make sure anything accessible IS chewable.

Behaviors related to aggression can be corrected through regular positive handling and interaction.

Latest posts

Back