Corgi puppy and bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwcily

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while now, but i have always put it off because i've feared for Lily's life. I used to have a Jack Russell that killed anything that moved. I know Jack Russells are hunting dogs, but i can't really get the image of dead rats and lizards out of my mind.

I've been considering a Corgi, because i heard that they are herding dogs and are less inclined to killing tiny creatures. As much as i know that it's dependent on the individual dog, i hope that getting a breed that has less hunting instinct would maximize my chances of a good outcome.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Pom and it gets along with my bun great! The play through the buns cage and give each other kisses. I open the cage to feed Moo, and my pom couldn't care less. He leaves Moo alone. I'd say small breed, non hunting breed, dogs would be the best to look into. Good luck! 😊

Breed type certainly plays an important role in how a dog will interact with a rabbit. Even the best trained dog can't totally fight its own genetic make-up. But even the most gentle breeds will still need to be trained well in how to behave with a rabbit.

I'm not familiar with the breed you mentioned. There are some larger breeds that can do well with rabbits. I think the larger breeds tend to possibly be easier with rabbits.

Our first dog and rabbit combo was with a Newfoundland. They are known for being 'gentle giants.' In fact, if one has a Newfoundland with any other dog, the Newfoundland will NOT be the alpha (despite their huge size). They are very submissive. So he was very easy to have out with the rabbits.

We currently have a labradoodle and he is very good with our rabbits. Interestingly, he will chase a jackrabbit or cottontail outside in a heartbeat. (has never caught one) But he knows he is not allowed to chase, bark at, or even whine at the house rabbits.

The key (from my experience) is teaching the dog that the house rabbits are part of the family pack. Dogs see their human family as a sort of extension of the pack idea. They can also see the other pets in the family as part of that pack as well. So in that case, they must be taught that they are not alpha over the rabbits. That is why the outside rabbits are seen by him as fair game, but he knows the inside rabbits are part of his pack.

I accomplished this with my labradoodle by going through a series of steps to teach him to be submissive. Again, this may not work with all dogs. The labradoodle we got as a puppy, but puppies cannot interact *during the teething stage* with a rabbit. They just don't realize how pin-sharp their teeth are and they will see the rabbits as puppymates. I find it easier to train an older dog with rabbits. But maybe our labradoodle's experience with rabbits as a puppy helped too. (different rabbits)

shiloh and gandalf small(1024x769).jpg

6.jpg

Latest posts

Back