Cords and Furniture

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove360

Reaction score
I am getting rabbits soon and want them to be safe and happy.

I don't want them chewing the furniture/walls/cords, what do you do to stop them doing this?
I'm thinking about getting cardboard boxes for them to chew on and toys to play with, as well as hiding the cords with cardboard/wooden sheets (only those that are being used, cords that are not in-use will be packed away).

Bunny proofing is a must if they will be given free roam time. The most important part with allowing any rabbit free roam is to start slowly. Initially, they should be confined to a roomy cage until they "own" their cage as their personal space and get used to their litter box ( a few days minimum). Then, when it is time to let them begin roaming, it should be done in a small area to start. An exercise pen can come in handy for that.

You mentioned getting rabbits (plural). Hopefully that means you are looking at a pair of rabbits that are already fixed and already bonded. That's the best way to go. I would not recommend getting a pair of babies. Never know if they will bond once hormones kick in, you'll have the added expense (possibly hundreds of dollars) of getting them spayed/neutered. Will need to deal with the mushy poo of babies (uneaten cecals), and the hormones which could cause aggression and spraying of urine (over you and/or your belongings). The worst of this would be if they don't bond once hormones kick in. Then you'd be stuck with two rabbits that have to be housed separately, exercised separately, fed separately, etc.

Back to the bunny proofing, already fixed rabbits are typically not as excessive in their destructive chewing as hormonal or baby rabbits. Each rabbit will be unique in how destructive it may be. Ones that are more destructive need more bunny proofing. It is just a matter of blocking off anything one doesn't want chewed. Sounds like you already have a start on bunny proofing ideas to start with. It's mostly a matter of observing and of trial & error for your particular bunnies.

Rabbit has never shown any interest in chewing the cords, but I blocked them off anyway. I have some flat pieces of thin wood that I blocked the cords off with. I saw various things on Amazon that you can buy for protecting the cords from your pet rabbits. I have had him chew on a couple pieces of furniture though, and a large basket that is on the floor for my electrical for my power supplies to the computer and printer. So those had to be blocked from him. Once I blocked the furniture and it sat that way awhile, a few months later I took the boards away from those things and he never bothered them again. I have sticks and pieces of firewood for him to chew on and he likes that. Whenever I can, I get him the blackberry brambles to chew as that is one of his favorites. He also sometimes will chew on a cardboard box if it is something new.

Latest posts

Back