Cooper's Ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys, I need advice.

After researching and speaking to some oncologists, Dr. Pope suggested takingthe ear off (and quickly), but even then, there's a good chance it could reappear somewhere else, even in an internal organ.

He said if he does a full lab workup to determine if the cancer has already metastasized, it would cost almost as much as the actual surgery, which is $400-$500. I don't have $800-$1,000 just laying around, so I have to make a decision.

Do I go ahead with the surgery (no labs) and hope it hasn't already spread? Dr. Pope said he could check him externally - lymph nodes, etc. and it would give himsome ideawhether it has spread or not.

He also said there have been cases where these type tumors have been left untreated and the rabbit lived and functioned normally for years.

What do I do?

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry. Would you consider a second opinon maybe? I think it's totally worth it. To start anyway.

I don't know a whole lot about how it spreads, but if he talked with other oncologists, eek. I would still want MY second opinion from someone else who's totally rabbit savvy and has maybe dealt with this in buns...

Edited to add: Man, I guess I would go ahead with the surgery for the ear and pray for the best. Seek another opinion in the meantime, if not before hand? That's what I would do. Let's see what others say!

(HUGS)

I think I would remove the ear. Don't worry too much about him being cute, he would be cute no matter what (I know that's not your main concern though). I think he will do fine being a one eared little guy - I would do that and then deal with anything that comes up after.

(MORE HUGS)

Oh Laura, you've had your share of bad news to last a lifetime. Im so sorry for little Cooper.

I think if it were me, I would go ahead and remove the ear (if you can afford it) and hope for the best. What a difficult decision to have to make :(

We have two bunnies at the shelter who were overgroomed by mom. One has one ear and one has half an ear. Ive seen some with no ears who get along fine.

I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers. I know you will make the right decision for your little guy.

*hugs*

Haley

Thanks, guys.

I know I need to have the ear removed. If it doesn't cure him, at least I gave it my best shot, right?

If I do nothing and he gets worse, I'll never forgive myself.

I don't think Cooper will care if he has one ear or ten. He's such a laid-back sweetie.

I think that if it was me, I'd give have the ear removed... That way you are giving him a shot. So, I'd get the operation, and hope for the best...

I feel so bad that such a great person who treats thier animals so well has to go through all the trouble you have... And I wish you and Cooperthe best of luck! Keep us updated.

**((((((HUGS)))))))**

SSS

I keep wondering about that question — why do you keep getting the sick ones and have to keep going through this? And I think it must be because you take such good care of them and give them such good lives. I'm so thankful Cooper is with you, and I think you're doing the right thing given the information that you have.

*hugs*

That's what I would do to- just get the surgery done and not do the further testing if it's not affordable.

As a bit of encouragement, someone on another forum had a rescue girl that she brought in to be spayed. She looked fat. Turns out she wasn't fat, she was actually underweight and had a massive malignant uterine tumor. I'm talking huge! The vet removed it but couldn't tell if it had startedspreading to other organs yet. I think it's been nearly a year now and the girl is still healthy, despite uterine tumors having a nasty tendancy to spread to the lungs. It was a nightmare but so far everything is good. *knock on wood*

Here's hoping Cooper has the same luck! I would think it is harder for cancer to spread from an isolated spot like the ear to major organs.

*more hugs*

Thanks, Angela. I just want this to be over.

Dr. Pope said they recover quickly from this type of surgery and I should be able to take him home the same day.

I wonder how long he'll be on antibiotics. I forgot to ask.

Will he actually need antibiotics? There's no infection and the surgery wound should heal pretty quickly.

Oh, and about bonding them. It's really up to you, but I would bond them. Don't let yourself worry about his future- you don't need the stress and neither does he. We can't predict the future. Just do what will be good for him and Snuggy right now.

Poor Cooper. He will look just as cute without one ear, I think if it were me I'd go ahead and have the ear removed too.

:pray:Sending prayers and good luck vibes your way Laura.

Life has been so unfair to your lately with your buns, you just don't deserve to have to go through this. :tears2:

~~~~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~

Michaela wrote:
Poor Cooper. He will look just as cute without one ear, I think if it were me I'd go ahead and have the ear removed too.

:pray:Sending prayers and good luck vibes your way Laura.

Life has been so unfair to your lately with your buns, you just don't deserve to have to go through this. :tears2:

~~~~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~
:yeahthat:Ditto.

Oh, sorry, no, I moved the surgery to tomorrow. That way, I can be with him until Monday. I didn't want to leave him at home alone tomorrow while I worked.

Thanks for asking.

I'll post updates tomorrow as I get them.

Laura

Latest posts

Back